Mixing into a hardware bus compressor

probos1

I just received (after waiting for several months) a new Stam Audio SA4000MK3 bus compressor. I want to mix into it.

Yes, I've read a few threads here for LUNA regarding hardware inserts. Tried the methods explained there. I can see the signal hitting the compressor, it's just coming back into LUNA to hear the results.

I've been recording and mixing with LUNA since jump, spring 2020. I really love it and I'm all ITB for mixing but wanted this one hardware element to finish things. Any help would be appreciated.

Nyoak34

Established Member
1. Create a Bus prior to your main out. We'll call it "mix bus"
2. Output your main tracks / busses to Mix Bus instead of main.
2a. Set outputs of Mix Bus to whatever outputs your SA4000 inputs are on.
3. Create a new stereo track
4. Set the Inputs of stereo track to wherever you have the outputs of the SA4000 coming in. Set the output to Main.
5. Put above stereo track into Input mode.

probos1

Thanks for the reply. This is essentially what I did before. Again, I see the signal hitting the compressor (needle happily bouncing) but don't see it making it back into to stereo track then out to the MAIN in LUNA. More info -- I have a multi-Apollo system in my mix room -- Apollo TWIN X, a first gen silverface Apollo QUAD and a UAD-2 Satellite. This setup is almost strictly for mixing/DSP. I have another room for tracking with another mulit-Apollo setup. Anyway -- I/O settings look good (using LINE5/6 as ins and outs for the SA4000) and I do see the signal lighting up 5/6 on my silverface Apollo.

I'm obviously missing something simple me thinks.

Nyoak34

Established Member
Thanks for the reply. This is essentially what I did before. Again, I see the signal hitting the compressor (needle happily bouncing) but don't see it making it back into to stereo track then out to the MAIN in LUNA. More info -- I have a multi-Apollo system in my mix room -- Apollo TWIN X, a first gen silverface Apollo QUAD and a UAD-2 Satellite. This setup is almost strictly for mixing/DSP. I have another room for tracking with another mulit-Apollo setup. Anyway -- I/O settings look good (using LINE5/6 as ins and outs for the SA4000) and I do see the signal lighting up 5/6 on my silverface Apollo.

I'm obviously missing something simple me thinks.
You see it on the input of 5/6 on the Apollo ? (At least on the blackface there is a button to switch apollo meters between input and output).

You also turned on Input monitoring on the stereo track itself?

Last edited:

probos1

You see it on the input of 5/6 on the Apollo ? (At least on the blackface there is a button to switch apollo meters between input and output).

You also turned on Input monitoring on the stereo track itself?
Yeah, Input monitoring is enable on the stereo track. I'm gonna wire it up through my TWIN X and see if the results are the same.

probos1

No luck with the TWIN -- I couldn't even get it to route to the compressor. Wired back and routing to the old apollo at least sees the signal hitting the compressor, just nothing in LUNA.

chrisso

Venerated Member
I do this all the time. Some Apollo inputs and outputs are offset. This always tripped me up. I would try playing your mix out to the compressor and cycle through the inputs until you see it coming back in.

probos1

I do this all the time. Some Apollo inputs and outputs are offset. This always tripped me up. I would try playing your mix out to the compressor and cycle through the inputs until you see it coming back in.
You were exactly correct. My inputs and outputs were offset -- working as it should now. Thanks for the replies all -- very helpful and much appreciated. I was excited to have this piece and overlooked something very basic and simple.

Last edited:

probos1

Interesting discovery. In trying to use the "MIXDOWN" function in LUNA using my new setup with the hardware bus compressor -- if I select "MAIN" as the source (as I've always done) and bounce it down it does it's thing. Go to the folder where the file was bounced to -- it's the file size I'd expect. But when I go to play it or re-import to a mastering session there's nothing there. Weird? Any ideas?

I can print the mix to another stereo track in realtime sending it out the Virtual In/Out's. Which I fine I suppose to just another step.

JohnR1

Assuming you're sending the entire mix out to the bus compressor...record the RTN track coming back from outboard. Then bounce just that track out of LUNA. You can even just right click the track and select export as a wav or something like that and it will render the track out as a wave in seconds. I prefer to do the realtime bounce, but if it's just a rough or working bounce it saves time. i think some might just send some of the mix out e.g. drums etc. and record that track, which then you have to time align the recorded RTN track to the rest of the mix and then bounce the whole project.

UAD Bundle Month