• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

MOTU 896 Firewire with G5 Dual 1.8

Timuk

I am running Logic 7.
a dual 1.8 G5 bought in May 2004
with 1.5gig of RAM
a single UAD-1
a single Powercore element
Core Audio is a firewire connected MOTU 896HD

I have all of the latest drivers (as of 31/10/04) for all hardware and software.

My buffer settings are as recommended for a UAD on a G5.

If I use the UAD plugins (and particuarly Fairchild and Dreamverb) within 10 minutes the output of the 896 becomes distorted. The only way of getting rid of the distortion is to Off/On the sound card and restart logic.
To be honest I am getting this with my Powercore too although to a lesser extent.

Is there a solution that will let me use the UAD with my existing equipment? I desparately want to use these plugins. :(

Timuk

Mmmmmm

The problem has not occurred on so far on built in audio, but I will keep testing. Core audio has its own problems.

Having said that there is no problem at all with the 896HD. It is rock solid until the UAD plugs are used. I don't understand why this should happen.
I'm sure MOTU would tell me that the problem resided in the UAD

Bottom line is I need to know what I need to do to get my system working properly. Do I need a new soundcard. If so is there anything rock solid out there for use on a G5 with UAD

UAJames

Universal Audio
UA Official
Hi Timuk,
Using Built-In Audio is just a test to isolate variables, it doesn't directly mean that the 896 is THE problem. Is the 896 the only FW device connected? If so, which FW port is it connected to? The FW400 port on the back is the best one for FW interfaces, or at least the ones that are FW400 anyway :) Do you also have all the latest drivers for your hardware and the latest firmware for the G5? If the problem does not occur at all using Built-In Audio, the next step would be to try 1 card at a time (UAD-1/PoCo) by removing it and seeing if you can replicate the problem with the 896 connected.

Timuk

Thanks James,

i'll run some more tests.

Out of interest my G5 is a dual 1.8 (I believe it is one of the older versions with the AMD PCI-Xcontroller). Will it make a difference which slots the cards are in and if so which would be the best slots to use for the UAD and Poco.

Also the Motu is FW800 but it is possible to get an FW400 - FW800 cable. Would that make a difference?

UAJames

Universal Audio
UA Official
Hi Timuk,
I can't remember if the original Dual 1.8 had dual PCI buses (and of course the developer pages only have notes on the newer ones :) ). If it does, I would put the UAD and PoCo on separate buses. If it doesn't have dual buses, it doesn't matter.

Also your 896HD should be FW400, aka Firewire 1394a. It is best in G5s to use FW400 devices on the FW400 port on the back of the G5. Don't use the audio interfaces with a FW400-FW800 adapter and use the FW800 port, it runs much better using the FW400 port.

UAJames

Universal Audio
UA Official
Hi John, recieved and replied. And just to post this for other forum members, when possible please direct off-forum questions to my email which is listed either in my profile or by clicking the email button under each of my posts. It's easier for me to keep track of the conversations and also I just plain forget to always check the PM inbox :p Thanks everyone.

Timuk

Hi James,

Spoke to Apple UK. Apparently G5 Dual 1.8 have always had the same PCI bus (so just one in my machine). I guess moving cards around won't make a difference.

Built in Audio works fine. For the first time I am able to max out my CPU on UAD plugs (distortion normally takes over long before then)

I have the latest firmware for the G5 and the latest drivers for the 896HD which is connected via FW400 -FW400

My UAD card settings are as advised for G5 usage.

Is there anything else I can do?

UAJames

Universal Audio
UA Official
Hi Timuk,
What is your MIN_GNT setting set to in your UAD-1 Meter's configuration menu? Try setting it to 64 if it is not already. Maybe also try running larger buffers under Logic both hardware buffers (something like 512 or 1024) and process buffers (large). You could also try taking out the PoCo test just with the UAD-1 and the 896 and then if that is running well, do the reverse (no UAD-1 just PoCo) and see if that is fine as well. Basically it sounds like they just are not all playing nice together :-(

Timuk

Thanks for your comments James

MIN_GNT is 64
already have the larger buffers and have tried removing the poco.

So let it be known that there is an issue with a Dual G5 1.8 with an 896HD and/or UAD card/Poco card don't play well together that currently can't be fixed!

I guess this means I need to change my sound card. Any suggestions?

UAJames

Universal Audio
UA Official
I have heard many good things about RME's PCI based cards and mixed reviews on the FW RME stuff on the G5s. Even with an awesome FW interface, you could be getting the same problems as you are right now with the 896, which normally is a great interface as well. Stay away from a large majority of the M-Audio Delta stuff too, as we see a lot of problems with those in testing. I hear great things about Lynx as well.

Peer

Uad-1 and Motu Firewire

Hello together,

i read all this about G5 , Motu FW and UAD-1, and I`ve got this problem to. There are distortion sounds if i work with any Uad-1 plug ins. I tried all the things, you are writing about, but nothing changed. The only way, is the use of the UAD-1 Driver 3.5.1. It is funny, but this driver ( a few plug ins) doesn`t pass the AU validation from Logic Pro 7, but it works. The new Driver 3.6. pass the AU Validation, but it doesn`t work. If i work without UAD-1, Logic 7 ( and Logic 6) works great with the Motu FW 828. There is nothing to think about: \" the motu 828 or other FW and PCI Audiocards doesn`t work\". Please - UA check your driver! Your Card sounds great, but it doesn`t work fine.

G5 1.6, 1,25 GB ram, Motu 828 mk2, OSX 3.6, Logic Pro 7

Ashermusic

Re: Uad-1 and Motu Firewire

Peer said:
Hello together,

i read all this about G5 , Motu FW and UAD-1, and I`ve got this problem to. There are distortion sounds if i work with any Uad-1 plug ins. I tried all the things, you are writing about, but nothing changed. The only way, is the use of the UAD-1 Driver 3.5.1. It is funny, but this driver ( a few plug ins) doesn`t pass the AU validation from Logic Pro 7, but it works. The new Driver 3.6. pass the AU Validation, but it doesn`t work. If i work without UAD-1, Logic 7 ( and Logic 6) works great with the Motu FW 828. There is nothing to think about: " the motu 828 or other FW and PCI Audiocards doesn`t work". Please - UA check your driver! Your Card sounds great, but it doesn`t work fine.

G5 1.6, 1,25 GB ram, Motu 828 mk2, OSX 3.6, Logic Pro 7
Well, Peer it seems to me to be aan issue of which hardware is mixed together because Logic 7, UAD-1, abd the Echo Layla 24 are all coexisitng extremely well here.

I have been accused on another forum of "pushing" the Layla. I plead guilty. It sounds really good and IT WORKS.

neverwhere

i actually get this problem popping up every once in awhile, hasn't come up lately though. i'm running a 1.2 GHz G4, 828mkII and and 896HD with Logic Pro 6.

i'm not quite sure what causes the problem, but i think you should really call up MOTU's tech support number and talk to one of them. i was having issues with the adat output of my 896HD producing clicks and pops randomly (i have to run either the 828 or 896 via lightpipe i/o of one or the other due to the limitations of coreaudio in order to have 16 channels of output for my mixer). anyway, after pulling my hair out for months and realizing the problem wasn't my digi001 (which i sold out of frustration), i called MOTU tech support and found that they actually have a firmware update for the 896HD. the catch is, it's only for specific 896HD's, i guess there was a buggy batch of them or something, so they don't have it available on their site.

since i ran the firmware updater, i haven't really had the problem of distortion pop up. might just be it won't rear its ugly head for a little while yet, we'll see. the other thing i've noticed is when i've gotten this problem in the past, i'll get continuous error windows popping up saying \"error synchronizing audio and midi\". as i have multiple midi i/o sources (m-audio midisport 4x4, m-audio radium 49 controller, 828mkII midi), it leads me to believe this might also have something to do with it. especially since during the problem, if i reset my midi drivers in logic, it will disable all but the radium controller. weird stuff anyway.

UAD Bundle Month