• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

My new PC is dead. Is it the mobo or the CPU?

Akis

Sadly, left this world before his time.
As you may have seen in another topic, I upgraded my system to an MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum and an AMD X2 4400. The upgrade took place on Friday and I immediately updated the BIOS to the latest one. All went fine until last night (well, apart from the UAD-1's, but that's another story).

This morning, when I power up my PC, the HD led stays constantly lit, the fans are spinning, the dongles are lit, the Powercores initialized and... that's it! No POST screen, the monitors won't even power up. I guess I'll try switching CPU's with an Athlon 64 3000 system I also have here and see what component is faulty, but any advice will be more than welcome (especially if it comes before the surgical procedure begins).

Thank you in advance,

Cat5

Established Member
Bummer Akis. You must have that sunken stomach feeling I know all too well. Your only recourse is to try known working parts in place of suspect parts, but I thought I'd chime in that it COULD also be the fault of your video card. Bad video hardware will often produce the same result.

Try a differen CPU and Vid card before you rip the MB out of there.

Also, once you get it sorted out (you will!) it's a good idea to run at least 12-24 hours of memtest86+ and maybe even a few hours of dual Prime95 after the fact just to guarantee component stability. Those utilities aren't reserved for overclockers. Any system that is dedicated to heavy duty full time use an benefit from a solid day or two of testing in this fashion.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Shane

Akis

Sadly, left this world before his time.
Thanks for the replies, guys! :)

After I switched CPU's between my 2 PC's back and forth, my new system boots fine now (as my other one does, too). I dunno what the heck it was that caused this, but it's gone now. I'm only waitin' for UA to fix the X2 issues for good! :wink:

UAD Bundle Month