• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

NBD? Nah, can't be...........

chrisharbin

Hall of Fame Member
...so I was in GC about a month ago and saw one like this. Picked it up and couldn't believe how much I liked it, but it was black.........don't want another black instrument. None of the other colors were in stock anywhere, so just kinda kept my eye out, but wasn't serious. Sweetwater got the other colors in stock, so I decided what the hell.

It's a Yamaha BB234.........price? A whopping 319 USD. Well it can't be any good at that price, right? Wrong.

So the bad first, it's a short list: It's not a Jazz width on the neck, more like a Precision. And I'm not crazy about the bridge.

The good? Seems (and I reserve the right to discover something I haven't noticed yet) well....everything. Light weight and well balanced, polished fret edges, and the action after a quick setup is far lower than you'd expect for that price range. Sounds much better than you'd think, it's built really well and the neck is effortless. Tuners are good, light weight, and do the job. Even with the stock strings, it's darn good........forget about price. And I'm SUPER picky. Remember my other thread, I went through hell trying to find something I liked and that was in the 2 to 3k range!

319 for a knockaround 4 when I'm not in the mood for my 5? I'm gonna have to find something mighty wrong ;)

Attachments

wglotz

Established Member
...so I was in GC about a month ago and saw one like this. Picked it up and couldn't believe how much I liked it, but it was black.........don't want another black instrument. None of the other colors were in stock anywhere, so just kinda kept my eye out, but wasn't serious. Sweetwater got the other colors in stock, so I decided what the hell.

It's a Yamaha BB234.........price? A whopping 319 USD. Well it can't be any good at that price, right? Wrong.

So the bad first, it's a short list: It's not a Jazz width on the neck, more like a Precision. And I'm not crazy about the bridge.

The good? Seems (and I reserve the right to discover something I haven't noticed yet) well....everything. Light weight and well balanced, polished fret edges, and the action after a quick setup is far lower than you'd expect for that price range. Sounds much better than you'd think, it's built really well and the neck is effortless. Tuners are good, light weight, and do the job. Even with the stock strings, it's darn good........forget about price. And I'm SUPER picky. Remember my other thread, I went through hell trying to find something I liked and that was in the 2 to 3k range!

319 for a knockaround 4 when I'm not in the mood for my 5? I'm gonna have to find something mighty wrong ;)
Let us know what you think after a couple weeks of playing?

chrisharbin

Hall of Fame Member
Let us know what you think after a couple weeks of playing?
Absolutely. First impressions are favorable though. For the price especially, it's really a big surprise. I recorded some tracks with it, what can I say, it's not really what I expected for this price.

BTW, if I didn't mention it, I really read up on it. I never saw a review that wasn't at least 4 stars.....

Eric Dahlberg

Purveyor of musical dreams fullfilled.
Yamaha basses are fantastic. I just got a 1978 BB-1200 (BB-2000 without the bridge pickup).

chrisharbin

Hall of Fame Member
Sterlings are great basses, but they are quite a bit mo' money than this.

So I discovered a "it's a cheap bass" thing this morning. My template for Live when it opens is a highish gain audio track for guitar (that's what I mostly play) so not having a track set up for the bass, I plugged in and.....BUZZZZZZZZZZZ :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: It doesn't matter because I never feel the need for distortion on bass, but it's really un-shielded. Fixable if I want someday.

But the joy I felt yesterday hasn't diminished one bit. Plays like a dream, even with stock strings! I haven't decided what kind of strings would be appropriate yet. I guess just EB's, but what gauge? It allegedly has 45-105's on it but for 4 strings, I usually go 45-100. Doesn't matter as the stock strings are surprisingly good and I want to let the thing really get used to this house/room first I think.

chrisharbin

Hall of Fame Member
One other thing that popped into my pea brain...for years, people have raved about the Pacifica guitars and how good they are especially for the price. I guess I've just been an idiot for not taking that mentality more seriously and saving some serious coin instead of "Oooo, I need to spend boo-koo bucks for a "real" instrument"... I feel stupid. :ROFLMAO:

chrisharbin

Hall of Fame Member
You're right. Looks like maybe they stopped the "subs"? I couldn't find one on Sweetwater. That's what I thought of the last time I looked at MM.

chrisharbin

Hall of Fame Member
Well yeah, but the last time I looked (and it's been many moons) it was sub, sterling, then stingray. My sub was 300 new all those years ago. Good bass, but I got tired of sinking money into it when it really just has one tone. I also tried the "stingray" version, but again, one tone. Got more for it than I paid last year because prices are so out of control for most MM.

chrisharbin

Hall of Fame Member
I think when GC opens up today I will get a new set of strings. Usually, it's a necessity, but I want to put it through the "new string test" which should yield even better results.

Eric Dahlberg

So I discovered a "it's a cheap bass" thing this morning. My template for Live when it opens is a highish gain audio track for guitar (that's what I mostly play) so not having a track set up for the bass, I plugged in and.....BUZZZZZZZZZZZ :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: It doesn't matter because I never feel the need for distortion on bass, but it's really un-shielded. Fixable if I want someday.
The solution is to use the P-Bass pickup by itself.

That kind of J-Bass bridge pickup normally isn't hum canceling, and since the P-Bass is hum canceling, they won't hum cancel when combined the way a J-Bass will.

Eric Dahlberg

I think when GC opens up today I will get a new set of strings. Usually, it's a necessity, but I want to put it through the "new string test" which should yield even better results.
Just do the string slap trick.

chrisharbin

Hall of Fame Member
The solution is to use the P-Bass pickup by itself.

That kind of J-Bass bridge pickup normally isn't hum canceling, and since the P-Bass is hum canceling, they won't hum cancel when combined the way a J-Bass will.
No, it's noisy no matter what, has nothing to do with single coil. It's where they skimped. Funny enough, regardless of price, I haven't had an instrument this bad since my original Fender Deluxe Jazz back in the 90's. Good news is I don't play bass with any kinda distortion so in my little cave, it's not a problem. Even my Suhr (and that hum cancelling is....iffy) doesn't do anything like this.

It's funny you bring up the pups, if I roll the P style off, it's exactly the same noisy on that one preset in Live. Weird.....never experienced that in 45 years of doing music.

Eric Dahlberg

Even my Suhr (and that hum cancelling is....iffy) doesn't do anything like this.
Yeah, as great as they sound, the noise canceling isn't the best. Dimarzio Air's are much quieter. The worst for me is how noisy the combined positions are. Installing a hum canceling pickup in the middle position and removing it from the SSCS would solve that. Unfortunately for me, I didn't realize that until after I sold my Suhr (and it was the exact reason I sold it, otherwise it was the best Strat I've ever owned).

chrisharbin

Hall of Fame Member
I don't have that kinda problem, my little studio is quiet, especially after getting Mac. But when I plugged in this morning where my template is rigged for guitar it was like WHOOOA! The Suhr doesn't do that at all.

I'll just get some shielding later when I'm really bored. Ain't payin' nobody ;)

Oh, and yes, those Suhrs are just a dream come true. Put it off for about 10 years and finally just bit the bullet.

swaite

Hall of Fame Member
One other thing that popped into my pea brain...for years, people have raved about the Pacifica guitars and how good they are especially for the price. I guess I've just been an idiot for not taking that mentality more seriously and saving some serious coin instead of "Oooo, I need to spend boo-koo bucks for a "real" instrument"... I feel stupid. :ROFLMAO:
I have a used Yamaha Revstar that was around $700 in mint condition (came with a gig bag). I love it!
IMG_1739.jpeg

chrisharbin

Hall of Fame Member
You have some nice fiddles, not necessarily my taste, but still tasty. I always wanted to try a Pacifica but they NEVER have them around here. God help me if they ever do :ROFLMAO:

Of course now, they have their high-end series that are 2k, have no need for that.

UAD Bundle Month