• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

Need advise using the Fairchild

Revelation

I was going through the manual about the Time Constrain knob. I have my own opinions, but I wanted to asked someone who has used it for a while some questions.

What setting do you put the Time Constrain if you are putting it across a two channel bus? I would think if it is like a jazz or Eric Clapton song \"postion 6\". That way the attack is not too fast (400 micro. and the release is 300 milli on transients and 10 seconds ofr multiple peaks.

How about setting for vocals? I would assume generally position 2 or 3.

Then bass, positon 1 for slap bass and 2 or 3 for regular bass.

sniper

Established Member
i remember \"massive mastering\" wrote a rather substancial post on how to setup the fairchild. at least for sweet coloring.

find any post written by him, click on his username and browse through his posts.

hope that helps a bit. :)

Revelation

Thanks, only about 4 post showed up with his name and Fairchild. Did not find much..yet.

One thing CrypticGlobe mentioned in the past was you cannot treat the Fairchild like a normal compressor. Just turn the knobs until it sounds right.

sniper

Established Member
apparently the post i referred to was written by Stephen V. Smith aka svs95.
t'was on ye olde forum.
here is his 2nd post regarding fairchild explanation.
his 1st was even more informative, look for it at the old forum! search for keyword \"fairchild\" author \"svs95\".
anyway here it goes:

We aren't as likely to require the Lat/Vert processing as the vinyl engineers were, but it does a superb job of smoothing and sweetening on many of our full mix projects, when used conservatively.

For mastering, I typically back off on the bias to about the 2:00 - 3:00 position, and lower the input gain and the threshold considerably. I also most often use Time Constant 5 or 6 (Program Dependent), although that is entirely relative to the sound of the mix.

Ideally, for acoustic mixes, I want to see little or no deflection of the Gain Reduction meters. I just want the Fairchild to add it's famous smoothness to the sound.

If you get a chance, try moving the \"balance\" screws around, as these do affect phase at low levels, and thus have an effect on the overall sound that is hard to describe, and is subtle but audible. Basically, for some things I like them turned to fully opposite positions for the two channels, and for others, I like them both centered. Mono signals sound better with the two channels set exactly the same (preferably in the middle), but so do some stereo mixes. Again, it's necessary to try both ways.

Perhaps you haven't had time to experiment with it extensively on a full mix, Cryptic, but I urge you to do so. Your time will be rewarded, and you'll realize your money bought you more than a ticket to future releases!

Best regards, everybody,

Soundsmiths Mastering, Inc.
Stephen V. Smith, President
http://www.soundsmiths.net
Digital Audio Mastering,
Editing, CD Premastering

Paul Woodlock

Established Member
Revelation said:

One thing CrypticGlobe mentioned in the past was you cannot treat the Fairchild like a normal compressor. Just turn the knobs until it sounds right.
Does that mean with a 'normal' compressor you just turn the knobs until it sounds wrong?

:D :D :D - Sorry ;) I coudln't resist

Paul

If you get a chance, try moving the \"balance\" screws around, as these do affect phase at low levels, and thus have an effect on the overall sound that is hard to describe, and is subtle but audible
Good advice here, I also use the \"balance\" screws when the F'child is on a single track to move that track backwards and forwards in the mix. Subtle, yet effective.

Revelation

Interesting info from Massive Mastering is though the Fairchild is similar to the Manley MU in adding smoothness to your signal, it is not the same in the low freq's which it bumps too much to be used for mastering. I will though be experimenting with having a low input and gentle threshold just to add the flavor in my mastering chain.

MASSIVE Mastering

Hey Rev! I actually used the Fairchild on a project last week.

Like usual, the low end got goofy, but I really needed the M/S treatment... Saved my a$$ in a big way.

baronluigi

for me I didn't know how to use the Faichild until I saw the post written by Stephen V. Smith aka svs95

Big thanks again to Mr. Smith!!!

I hope somebody will do an equally great job on helping us use the PLATE whenever it gets released!

When doing home mastering for dance stuff I often go like this (as a good starting point):

*Run it parallell with the master track

*Lat/vert mode, unlinked

*Lat/mono, time constant 1 (a: 0.2ms, r: 300ms)

*Vert/stereo, time constant 2 or 3 (a: 0.2ms, r: 800ms/ a: 0.4ms, r: 2s)

*Threshold & DC Bias, fully clockwise

*Input/ output to taste

*Round up the funny low end with a Pultec

*Enjoy

Arys Chien

MASSIVE Mastering said:
Like usual, the low end got goofy, but I really needed the M/S treatment... Saved my a$$ in a big way.
Manley has a Mid/Side mod for the Vari-Mu. Yet they told me that I have to send my unit back to the U.S. and let them do the modification. I just can't afford not having it with me for so long...especially when I'm in the middle of several projects......

mersisblue

i noticed in one of the presets the the out put for left and right on the fairchild were not equal I tried everything I could think of to get the defual setting to let me change only one output but nothing worked

anyone know how to do this ?

Ericcc

mersisblue said:
i noticed in one of the presets the the out put for left and right on the fairchild were not equal I tried everything I could think of to get the defual setting to let me change only one output but nothing worked

anyone know how to do this ?

What sequencer you using? If Nuendo or SX this is an old bug..

1stgecco

Hi Ericccc
since I´m new on SX3 and having noticed a commonly, almost all presets, differenting sound compared to SAM and Logic what is \"the old bug\" in detail?
Don´t go deeeep into it, just a few hints were welcomed

greetz
Gecco

mersisblue

yes i noticed in nuendo i was hoping it was a hidden feayure thanks for clearing that up :D

Probably you're speaking of the \"center squasher\" or \"stereo cruncher\" preset on the Fairchild. If you're not familiar with the operation of a Fairchild (hey, I'd probably never have been near one except for a couple of days I spent at Ocean Way.) there's a good description in the UAD manual. Here's a quote to get you started:

\" Some Fairchild parameters are named with “A” and “B” instead of “L” and “R” because that’s how the plugin operates; depending on the mode (ie lat/vert), the channel parameters are not always associated with the left and right channels.\"

mersisblue

I dont own the fairchild at home and I dont own the hardware so no Im not overly familar . I use it on EVERY session at my \"friends\" house

but I dont see what A and B versus L and R have to do with my question :?:

It's not a bug that the two output level controls are set differently on two of the presets on the Fairchild.

From the manual:

\"Question:

Is there any reason I would want to link the two sidechains together and still have the settings for the two channels different?

Answer:

Yes. Linking the sidechains simply prevents left-right image shifting. Threshold and input gains can be set independently to cause the compressor to be more sensitive to instruments which are panned to one side or the other. Output controls can be set separately in order to correct an overall image shift at the output. \"

Which is why the output level controls are set differently in the two presets. In \"lat-vert\" mode, an imbalance in the stereo field may be created by the separate processing of the \"lateral\" and \"vertical\" components of the stereo signal.

Also from the manual:

\"The L+R (mono) signal is sent to one compressor, and the L-R (stereo) signal is sent to the other. The two compressors work independently of each other, and after compression the L and R signals are recovered once again by sum and difference. This mode was created for use in mastering records, where the mono and stereo components of the signal are encoded in this way. It also has application for psychoacoustic processing, since the stereo panning will change dynamically in this mode.

If you need to \"unlink\" the output level controls, switch the AGC switch from Lat/Vert to Left/Right with the controls \"unlinked\" but make sure to switch the AGC mode back to LatVert when you get the balance you want. Just remember that setting the output level controls to the same numerical setting may not balance the stereo field.

UAD Bundle Month