• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

new Roland RE-20 echo-unit based on UA algorithms?

djsynchro

Hall of Fame Member
It's probably a secret but it would make sense to me, even if it runs on different hardware, code can be re-written like UA used to do for the Protools platform, and that would still save having to do all the modelling & measuring twice. Wouldn't be surprised if it was part of the Roland-UA deal but they probably won't tell us...

Did you listen to it?

My 2 Eurocents :D

swag

Personally I think it would be more surprising if UA *DIDN'T* have some involvement in the modelling, maybe just in some form of consultancy.

I imagine we will never really know though...

Klaus123

I own a Boss VF-1 9,5'' Rack Device. It also contains all those COSM algos. There's a RE-Tape-Delay algo, too. So maybe it is just an old algo in a new pedal with more options and more quality since the hardware nowadays is much faster than at those days the vf-1 was released.

Greetings

Klaus

Dan Duskin

Established Member
My guess is that it DOESNT use the UA algorithm modeling. Why?
- too complex to put on a cheap dsp in a cheap pedal
- roland has TONS of experiance with emulations and modeling (remember the VG-8?)... COSM!
- if they used the UA algorithm they would likely have to pay UA, and I'm sure roland's lawyers wouldn't like that idea one bit

T-Dogg

Dan Duskin said:
My guess is that it DOESNT use the UA algorithm modeling. Why?
- too complex to put on a cheap dsp in a cheap pedal
- roland has TONS of experiance with emulations and modeling (remember the VG-8?)... COSM!
- if they used the UA algorithm they would likely have to pay UA, and I'm sure roland's lawyers wouldn't like that idea one bit

...Probably right. Not to mention, regardless of whatever algorithm they're using, its being manipulated through some doo-doo brown converters, and driven by a clock that keeps time about as good as The White Stripes drummer minus the digital editing!

Not to knock it though -- could easily sound great in a guitar rig, but I'm guessing a side by side comparison to the UA implimentation through adequate hardware, or the real thing for that matter, may prove disappointing...

I'm an admittedly an overly-picky tone purist, maybe so much that my opinions are completely blinded by it, but I've never remotely liked anything Roland has done with COSM technology. Especially the VG8, my tongue is getting heavy and my stomach tightening just thinkin about it...

olafmol

to put it simply: if it's the standard COSM algo i'm not interested, if it's based on the UAD algo's i'm VERY interested :)

Olaf

Richard Hunter

T-Dogg said:
...Probably right. Not to mention, regardless of whatever algorithm they're using, its being manipulated through some doo-doo brown converters, and driven by a clock that keeps time about as good as The White Stripes drummer minus the digital editing!

this true? their first few records were recorded to 16-track tape, mastered on 1/2 inch...

the playing always felt too loose to me to have been digitally manipulated. but what do i know.

T-Dogg

Lol... naw, I don't want to go starting rumors, seems they pride themselves on capturing their music honestly... they're probably unedited takes for the most part. I've just seen some extremely sh!tty live drumming coming from that stage, and can't help but wonder!

Hell with it though -- worst performances aside, I'd bet the songs wouldn't work as well with anything other than a novice's approach to the drumming, questionable timing and all. I like em.

heksu

I've been testing the pedal - it is actually quite good, but I think I prefer the plugin. The reverb acts differently. Haven't ever used the original device, so cannot comment which is more authentic.

UAD Bundle Month