• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

New setup

saemskin

Established Member
I just purchased a DAW from pcaudiolabs.
Its an Athlon 644800 Dual core
The mobo is an Asus (model) socket 939 with Chipset: VIA K8T800 Pro + VT8237R
they dont list the specific model, but I found it on Tigerdirect
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... 58&CatId=0

It has 5 pci slots and will be a dedicated audio machine, which means I \"may\" be selling my magma 6-slot for cheap.

Does anyone know of potential problems with this mobo and UAD? Obviously I will make it very clear to the vendor that any conflicts and she's coming back. They sell and install hardware for you, including DSP cards, so I assume there to be no issues, but you never know.

Thanks!

Sid Chigger

Superman
Forum Admin
I've got that board.. I had some pops and clicks and occasional weird noise but due to IRQ conflicts.. You may want to keep the magma.. I use 4 UAD's and a Firepod so those took up my 5 slots.. This is from memory as I am not at the system or my notes.. You can DL the manual from Asus and see the slot configurations and what slots will share with others.. I had 2 UAD's sharing with the Firewire card OR the Graphics card (matrox p750) no matter what.. So, I got a 7 slot magma recently.. Firewire card in Slot 4 on it's on IRQ.. Graphics on it's own IRQ and the 4 UAD's in the magma share 2 IRQ's - 2 cards each.... Clicks, pops, weird noises GONE!!! No though I get random FREEZE in Cubase SX3.. No error message.. Nothing. Mouse won't work.. CTRL ALT DEL won't work. Poweroff is the only thing to do.. No .log file I can find anywhere.. Doesn't matter what I am doing it seems.. I've been editing with a few windows open.. I've been doing a mixdown to MP3 and yesterday I just took a break. Hit stop, save and watch the US Open for a little while and when I came back to it - Freeze City.. Totally random.. Since this freezing began POST magma I have to think it's the problem but I can't say..

Don't mean to hijack your thread, saemskin.. Just thinking this might help you in configuring your new system and maybe someone else has had similiar freezes that can help me!

I have no doubt pcaudiolabs will have yours working before they send it to you!! They seem like good folk and have been of help to me in the past!!

Sid

saemskin

Established Member
no hijacking, that's good info bro..

Thanks!

saemskin

Established Member
ugh, my heart hurts.
New box arrives. Sexy as hell. All day I'm transferring files, installing programs and the like. I get to the part where its time to connect the magma and get the pci cards humming.
Powercore goes in and starts up perfectly. UAD software install, fine. Turn off, put card in, boot up. fine. Found new hardware wizrd launches to do its thing. I turn my head and when I look up

A BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!

no please no....
I tried again and noticed it gets stuck at the point where hypaudio.sys is transferring to C:\\windows\\system32\\drivers and craches.

Anyone have an idea? I dont expect to hear back from the vendor, especially this weekend.

Josh

G

even without IRQ conflicts problems can arise. my last mainboard had problems with PCI in general. with just a firewire card i would get overload on my output meters that came with a small click sound. then with 2 uad-1 's a intermittent blasting sound that would have blown the monitors if they were not turned almost all the way down. new MB and no problems i even tried my old PCI firewire card and there were no clicks with an overload.

its hard to say what caused any of that. its a crap shoot when trying new pieces together.

saemskin said:
ugh, my heart hurts.
Anyone have an idea? I dont expect to hear back from the vendor, especially this weekend.
Josh
Have the vendor swap out the motherboard for a K8U-939... and your DAW will be rockin! (A8V is discontinued... and is incompatible with the Powercore)

K8U-939 (ULi 1689 chipset) is compatible with all popular audio interfaces and DSP accelerators (UAD1/Powercore/etc)

saemskin

Established Member
all right fellers, after reading some old posts I decided to pull every pci card out of the mobo and stick the UAD's in.
It worked.
SWEET!

I dont really need extra firewire and usb ports anyway, and if I do I'll try putting them in the magma.

So I've got the 3 UAD's in the mobo, and the powercore sitting all lonely and shit in the Magma. Sweetwater is running a no payment no interest for 12 months, so I may be getting a PowercoreII (or whatever they're calling them) and the oxford EQ and one their newer reverbs ported from system 6000.

Vss3 or Nonlin. Any suggestions?

What's withe the damn PCI crap shoot anyway?

saemskin

Established Member
dammit.

powercore installs with no error, but disables plugins as I load them.

dOH!

saemskin

Established Member
ok guys, I finally got everything working. This may or may not be helpful for someone else down the road, so I'll put up as much info as I can think to.

MOBO:
slot 1 - powercore element (drivers 200b12)
slot 2 - keyspan 3-port firewire card (motu driver 3.5.3)
slot 3 - empty
slot 4 - magma
slot 5 - empty

Magma:
slot 1, 3, & 5 - UAD card (version 4.3)

The Powercore was not being recognized a a present piece of hardware. So I tried many things such as different slots, which never worked. Then I thought to myself that upon initial setup what if instead of just selecting Powercore Element setup I pick all the boxes? Maybe it would do *something* and it did. Hardware is now recognized and I opened the powercore01 and heard those delecious notes I have so so missing. Now I'm not so sure if I should cancel the order on the poco MKII unplugged I ordered out of frustration 2 days ago?
:D
My 828 MKII is gving me hella problems though. I have to uninstall and re-install the drivers EVERTIME I boot up my DAW or I will freeze/crash with the old high pitch squealing, but at least I am able to get my system running for short periods. Audio is still real choppy at low latency (below 10-12 ms.) so I set the buffer at 1024 samples (17ms) and let it go.

After struggling for 3 weeks to get this thing working all the way I'l focus on dealing with MOTU conflict in due time. The solution of which is starting to smell something like RME 8)

Sid Chigger

Superman
Forum Admin
LOL.. I'm smelling the same thing!! LOLOL

UAD Bundle Month