• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

new uad stuff... HELL YEAH!

tapeop

NEVE NEVE NEVE NEVE NEVE NEVE NEVE NEVE NEVE NEVE NEVE NEVE

I'd already heard that Universal Audio, makers of fine DSP hardware for computers as well as vintage analog reproductions and other DSP tech, was going to be pairing up with someone big at NAMM. That \"someone big\" has turned out to be AMS Neve Limited, who have made some of the most famous signal processors in history. You'll be seeing those running in emulated form on Universal's UAD-1 system, a DSP card that sits inside your PC or Mac. Universal says the first will be the Neve 1073 Equalizer. (Audio buffs are already drooling, but suffice to say this would be like me getting to Anaheim and being able to rent a Rolls Royce Silver Shadow II for $18 a day from Budget Rent-a-Car, instead of a Hyundai Accent.)
Hope to know more once I catch up with Universal. Add this to Roland chorus and echo classics and Cambridge EQ, and the UAD-1 platform is starting to really heat up, especially for vintage lovers.

http://createdigitalmusic.com/index.php ... ew&id=1111

i feel all warm and fuzzy inside

Resonant Alien

Sounds great, but forgive me if I'm not as excited as I should be. Until UA announces what it's plans are related to PCI Express, I really have no desire to put more money into my UAD setup (2 cards, all plugs and counting). They've left us in limbo for a while now with now upgrade path to a new PowerMac or MacIntel...

Trace

Resonant Alien said:
Sounds great, but forgive me if I'm not as excited as I should be. Until UA announces what it's plans are related to PCI Express, I really have no desire to put more money into my UAD setup (2 cards, all plugs and counting). They've left us in limbo for a while now with now upgrade path to a new PowerMac or MacIntel...
Hey you know you don't HAVE to move to a new IntelMac! I see no reason to make that move anytime soon. There are enough VERY powerful systems that you can run until there is a clear move made by UA.

What system do you have now? Are you currently unable to meet your needs with that system? How much more Host CPU power do you think you'd need to fulfill your needs? I do plan to either upgrade my current system with a Quad or maybe just add another older G5 in order to give myself the needed CPU power to run everything i do now at 88.2Khz and all my Synths from VSTi's. This still doesn't mean that I can't keep running the system I have now which is capable of getting work done.
Patience is a Virtue :)

TRACE :)

Archmart

Hey Hey!

Well, where the heck is the Webzine promised today? After reading this morning that the big news is Neve, I've been unable to pull myself away from the UA website. :)

I've been looking for the formal announcement and the promised Webzine like my life depends on it. I even tried replacing ...\"2005/December/index.html\" with ...\"2006/January/index.html\".

If it turns out to be misinformation, I'm gonna cry.

But maybe the Webzine isn't out yet because they've got some deal with Neve about the announcement? Neve's site has a countdown that right now is at \"1 Day and 32 Minutes\". That might mean it's really just in 32 minutes, and that allows UA to announce on 1/18 (at midnight) as promised. But if it's actually 24 hours later? Oy!

Archmart

Archmart

... And it's another whole day on the Neve site.

I guess it's back to another day of pulling out whatever hair I've left...

Sure would've been nice for UA to tell us the 18th date was being delayed...

But wait! It's still the 18th on the West Coast!

Sweet!

Archmart

psoul

pci express

let's hope in a pc express announce at namm, or at least in a good solution, for example a small external and cheap box, or a firewire conversion

F5D

$249 is IMO too much for the space echo if Dimension D sells for $149. People have been talking here that UA sells cheap plugins and TC wants more money of their plugins but it looks like UA has also realised that they must get more money of the plugins.

The latest UA plugins have cost $199 or $249 so they're at the same prices with most of TC's plugins, like Master X5, Character, Assimilator, Intonator HS, Voice Modeler etc. which are all great plugins and IMO very comparable to what UA has to offer at the same price. Of course TC have more expensive MD3 + Brickwall, VSS3 etc. but IMO they are really high end plugins and UA don't have anything to really compete against them.
I was going to purchase the space echo but the price is too high for what it can do. I will buy the Dimension D however. It has a reasonable price.

I also don't like the idea that UA should use all the power of the UAD1 cards to run the new NEVE's or some other new plugins because I don't want to buy 4 UAD1's or use freeze.

polygen

that 1073 is gonna appear on my credit card statement the second it hits the shelves (servers?).

i agree that 250 feels too much for a tape delay, probably due to roland's cut more than anything else. but it's not so much the price itself that bothers me (i'd rather pay more for a better product than get a behringer emulation for 20 bucks), it's more the fact that once a plugin is marketed, it's done with. was there ever a single upgrade to the features of older plugins (except for the addition of hostsync in v4.0, which should have really been in there from the start)? A/B mode for all the plugs for instance, multichannel support, a chainer, cambridge v2 with upsampling as a free update, sidechain inputs for compressors, new models for Nigel (weren't there supposed to be some according to the marketing blurb when it was released around v 2.6?) etc.
nope. there's no thing like that, UA isn't touching the feature-set of a plug once it's on the market.or the algos. we're just supposed to keep our attention on the new stuff (which i happily oblige to...), buy it and forget about the old toys. hm. possibly this is just because UA is a rather small company that just lacks the resources to both keep on churning out cool new stuff *and* update the older non-cash-cow stuff at the same time.
but i.e. i find i don't use the cambridge anymore now that we've got the PEQ. why? the PEQ sounds better, not just different, newer algo, newer technology: better. so effectively it has made the cambridge \"obsolete\" (well obviously not entirely ;) ). now i'd grab the cambrigde more often if it had a linear phase mode, switchable upsampling etc. but that won't happen.

whatever.

throw that neve stuff at me, i'll throw my wallet at you.

Ninja

Say that the $249 pricetag is due to their co-operation with Roland...

Personally I believe that's been overplayed by alot of users on this forum. We would all like the plugins to stay at $49-99, but in the real world that's not going to happend. It's just the normal development cycle for a company to charge more and more for their products.

However. Let's say that the 1073 EQ is really going to be announced, and that it is with AMS neve blessings (something which isn't necessarily so)... How much do you think that is going to cost? :eek:

Someone hold me. I feel scared.

Archmart

Woop. There it is.

UA's announced.

If anyone from UA is reading this, my credit card number is...

dix

Resonant Alien said:
I agree. 1st things 1st. Why would I put more money into a system that's not compatible w new Macs? ...It's early of day one of NAMM. Hopefully we'll hear some sort of announcement from UA soon.

Trace

dix said:
Resonant Alien said:
I agree. 1st things 1st. Why would I put more money into a system that's not compatible w new Macs? ...It's early of day one of NAMM. Hopefully we'll hear some sort of announcement from UA soon.
I still don't see the absolute NEED to change systems at this moment. Why if you have a working system now, would you want to change it. Unless you have a woefully underpowered system right now, there's no rush to have to change.

There aren't many companies that actually have PCI-e products and only a few that have stated what they intend to actually do about the new standard. UA has stated that they will let us know when there is something to tell, so until then just use what you've got. These new systems haven't been out that long yet and i'm sure there are only a few people who actually have made the move.

TRACE :)

Archmart

Hey Hey!

UA, on this forum, stated within a day or two of Apple's PCI Express announcement that they were working on it, and as far as I can tell, the've been very good to their existing customers. The deal they gave those of us with P-EQ and P-Limit plugs on the Multiband is only the latest example.

I believe it's a pretty good bet that if I proceed to build my investment in UAD-1 cards and plugs (I'm currently at 2 cards and the full set of plugs) I won't be disapointed in the deal they give me on whatever the next generation card or firewire box is and in the meantime I'm going to be working with some of the most amazing plugs available and making good use of them rather than waiting to see.

Having a PCI-X G5, I might be trying to crossgrade to a PCI machine while I wait in order to take full advantage, but I don't really mind that much.

I do understand that if it's a priority to someone to be on a new, warranteed G5, this is an awkward time, but hey, back in the day, you wouldn't throw out your Neve desk just to get something else who's flying faders would run on the latest desktop. :)

Archmart

dusty

Fuck yeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Our prayers have been listened :D Bye Bye URS. At least for me.

I never seen a company like this before, Universal audio rocks!!
I just don't understand why somepeople is still so concerned about the PCIe.. They gonna let us now as soon as they can! Period.
There is no point to know it 6 months ahead. And screw macintels anyway!Unless apple stop to make the PPC version of logic i'm not gonna upgrade for at least a couple of years! Also don't forget that it's gonna take time before all the apps&plugs will be optimized for the intels.
I'm already affraid to think logic running on a macintel :?
So i guess that the best we can do is wait&see.

Ninja

Preliminary reports (MacWorld ?) indicates that Logic allready runs better on Intel than it ever have on the G5.

But I agree. I'm very happy with the setup I have now, and don't see myself getting a new stationary Mac for a couple of years to come.

I might buy a MacBook Pro in about 6 months time though. But I won't be running Logic on that other than maybe as a node.

UAD Bundle Month