• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

Newbie Q: Is UAD1 real time only? what about DAW rendering?

jpshea

Greetings All,

A quick dumb question from a potential UAD1 user.

Most DAWs have a \"render\" function that does your mixdown faster than realtime (if not a lot of plugs), or slower, if host CPU is heavily loaded.

After reading the FAQ & UAD manual, can anyone offer any insight into how the UAD1 behaves in this rendering scenario?

Can I load up as many UAD plugs as I want, then render the mixdown and wait for the (eventual) output file? (not a very creative process, I know)

Regards,
JPS

ps: no roadmap for the UAD2 does kinda suck when trying to make purchasing decisions!

Dragonsf

Yes, if you render your tracks, all required UAD-1 are used faster than real time. You can of course load only as many plugins as they can fit on the card.

jpshea

Thanks Dragonsf,

But does that mean you can never exceed the \"realtime\" limit (ie. 100%) of the UAD1 DSP resources, even if rendering offline?

This seems to be a big difference between host based and external DSP solutions.

Regards,
JPS

No, you can't exceed the 100% limit. But you can do a several pass rendering to use more plugins.
For me, if I use rendering in Nuendo, I always set the realtime option, as I'm sure, I get a slightly different sound when rendering faster. This is mostly noticeble, when you give a high shelf boost to cymbals with pultec eq. I get some kind of sweet magic when I use the plugin in realtime, and which is completly lost after nonrealtime rendering.

chewie

Dmitry Chuvelev said:
No, you can't exceed the 100% limit. But you can do a several pass rendering to use more plugins.
For me, if I use rendering in Nuendo, I always set the realtime option, as I'm sure, I get a slightly different sound when rendering faster. This is mostly noticeble, when you give a high shelf boost to cymbals with pultec eq. I get some kind of sweet magic when I use the plugin in realtime, and which is completly lost after nonrealtime rendering.
Woah! Is this true...? Please make a test running the same export, one with real-time and the other without. Import both to a project, phase-invert one of them and see if they null each other out.

chewie

Dragonsf

I have also the impression, that a rendered file (Ableton live) sounds quite different, than a real time render.

Fundy

Established Member
Too some extent all processing is asymmetric and relies on a thread finishing before another can start, however this all happens so fast you can barely tell. However in a heavily loaded situation it becomes more apparent when the same task takes that bit longer.

So in a way, with the UAD-1 the more you add you get more latency and system load overall. At least that's how I would describe it.

Theorotically a Real-time or offline render should sound the same. However I'm not patient enough for Realtime. I'll try it sometime.

Akis

Sadly, left this world before his time.
I use the non-real-time mode in Nuendo, especially when I max out my native CPU and hear crackles and pops in real-time, as then the computer can take as much time as it needs to complete the task, which due to the high load, is more than it would take in real-time. I haven't ever noticed a difference in sound.

imdrecordings

Venerated Member
I have to use Real-Time export with tracks/objects, that have UAD-1 plugs (or mix down). If I don't, I get a SNAP or POP every now and again. In fact, I thought UA suggested using real-time, for bouncing/export. Am I imagining this? :?

Soundawg

I agree IMD - UAD will only work properly for me in real time - and UA have said it has to be done this way... perhaps something has changed I am unaware of AKIS?

chewie

Soundawg said:
I agree IMD - UAD will only work properly for me in real time - and UA have said it has to be done this way... perhaps something has changed I am unaware of AKIS?
When did UA say this...?

I have used non real-time in Cubase for the last 4 years and have never had any problems, but if there is a change in sound I want to know why!

imdrecordings

Venerated Member
chewie said:
Soundawg said:
When did UA say this...?

I have used non real-time in Cubase for the last 4 years and have never had any problems, but if there is a change in sound I want to know why!
Well, I'm just speaking from experience. You can't use UA stuff for offline processing. So that lead me to believe that you can only use UA stuff in Real-Time. UA Tech's suggested exporting in real-time, because I was getting snaps and pops when I didn't. Especially when I was using the Precision plugs. Of course this could all be Chipset related and might have to do with my system.......sooooo? yah :?

Soundawg

chewie said:
Soundawg said:
When did UA say this...?

Hmmm - I'm not sure when they said that... I set up UAD in the box I am using now about 2 years ago... thatz when I started using it, found problems, found solutions, fixed the problems, never looked back. Sooo - I really can't remember where I got the info from in the first place - sorry.

I guess if you are not getting any pops/clicks or other crap then you are golden! Hey - if it aint broke....

Alas - I am not so fortunate and must use UAD in realtime.

Soundawg

imdrecordings

Venerated Member
Akis said:
I use the non-real-time mode in Nuendo, especially when I max out my native CPU and hear crackles and pops in real-time, as then the computer can take as much time as it needs to complete the task, which due to the high load, is more than it would take in real-time. I haven't ever noticed a difference in sound.
What method are you using Akis?
Every mode, I've tried, seems shorter than real-time bouncing.

BTLG

Established Member
I've also bounced things \"non realtime\" and never had a problem with UA plugs. I HAVE however had problems if I tried to render plugs offline, which is kind of a PITA. pops, clicks, glitches n ho's.....

Akis

Sadly, left this world before his time.
UA generally suggests real-time bouncing as the safe method - for example, my old Athlon XP+ system had problems with offline bouncing, to the point that I had bought SilverSpike TapeIt 2 to bounce proper mixdowns, as Nuendo wouldn't even give me a proper real-time one at times. However, my current system performs flawlessly in both non-real-time mixdown export and offline processing with plug-ins, so it is actually safer to use non-real-time rendering, as the CPU can take as much time as it needs to perform any demanding task.

I'm currently maxing out my native CPU quite often and can't afford a proper upgrade (let alone the fact that Steinberg's audio engine can't take advantage of the current single/dual quadcores... :evil:); when the load is at ~100% and I get severe crackles 'n' pops during playback, an offline mixdown takes way longer than the duration of the song, but the result is perfect.

Fundy

Established Member
What are you doing to max out that setup? Recording live orchestras! Not but seriously, I only use an Athlon 3000+ Barton and I rarely max out my setup.

UAD Bundle Month