• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

Noise Removal From Field Recordings For Sampling

Suntower

Established Member
Hi,

I've been recently going nuts recording some home-made samples. One issue I constantly run into is... how do I remove the 'background radiation'?

And by 'background radiation', I mean the ambient noise of the world at large. I'm not talking about acute things like cars, planes, etc. But you know what I mean... the 'rumbling noise' that just seems to be a part of the great outdoors... even with no wind... it's just -there-.

I mean the sound is even in your house or office (if it's not totally treated). It's amazing how our ears naturally filter this out.

The problem is that when you sample this kind of thing and then release a key, the difference between the end of the sample and the -real- silence makes it sound terrible. Gating makes the sample sound like an 80's record ('In The Air Tonight' drums, anyone?)

I have Wavelab4 and it really doesn't have any tools to help with this. I know there are high end tools like 'Cedar' but I was hoping for something that costs less than my car.

I'm told that Sound Forge has a way to input a 'noise print' WAV of the background noise which you can then use to compare with your WAV and cancel out the difference. Does WL6 do something like this?

Any other ideas on how to deal with this?

Thanks!

---JC

Chas@Source

Hello Suntower, Sound Forge does indeed include Noise Removal tools and they are very good. You can purchase them separately as a download (http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/noisereduction) or they get installed automatically as part of a Sound Forge install. Note that they are DirectX only.....
Otherwise, there's also the BIAS Sound Soap option - normal and Pro (http://www.bias-inc.com/products/soundSoapPro/) which is probably somewhat better IMO, having spent considerable time as part of a previous job A/B-ing them.
The Waves noise removal tools are excellent too, though you have to stump up some serious cash - and swallow the Waves way of doing business... :roll:
There are also plenty of freeware progs out there, though having tried a handful a while back I can't honestly recommend any as being in the same class as either the Sony or BIAS products.
The usual problem with any NR is the artifacts it can leave behind on any but the mildest processing - but this is normally less of an issue when dealing with samples (where unatural sounding artifacts are part of the game) than when trying to clean up live music recordings,
Hope this helps,
Chas

Suntower

Established Member
Thanks,

I was hoping WL would have some sort of 'noise print' but apparently not.

If Wendy uses it, that speaks highly. OTOH, maybe not: some of her other life-decisions are a bit suspect. :D

Cheers!

---JC

marQs

Shareholder
Wavelab 6 offers the Spectrum Editor. You have to spend time with it though to get what you want.

Check http://www.virtos-audio.com/ for their Denoiser or the Noise Wizard (= denoiser + some more plugs), it's a noiseprint thing that works pretty well - DX only.

Here http://reaper.fm/reaplugs/ you'll find the standalone plugins of Reaper for free. Try ReaFIR in 'substract' mode - you can also do a noiseprint with it. Since it's so complicated to handle DX plugs in Cubase 4, this has become my go to denoiser.

imdrecordings

Venerated Member
The keys to noise removal is using it in gentle layers.
Also taking a thumb print of the noise while filtering out frequencies.
Using the filters to protect where the wanted content is.
So instead of just sampling all the noise with one plug-in, use 2 noise-reduction plugs and get your thumb print after you filter out the section you'd like to keep.
Almost like multi band noise removal.
Take thumb prints of multiple noises.
After that, pull off the filters.
Now you have 2 or three noise-reduction plugs gently shaving or padding down the noise and not the frequency area of the wanted/need content.
The key is to back it off, once it starts to introduce any artifacts.

Hope I'm being clear.

Suntower

Established Member
I got a copy of Cool Edit Pro and it's built in Noise Removal (which uses a noise-print sample) is EXACTLY what the Dr. ordered for this application. Fast. Great results for one-shot percussion. Not a lot of knob twiddling required. Automagical. $30 on eBay. Ya gotta love it.

Pisses on WL's 'Denoiser' from a great height.

---JC

UAD Bundle Month