• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

Non response to an offer to fix the UAD 1 driver problems

scottfa

As a Sonar user who has had many problems with the UAD 1, I found this curious response to another thread about UAD driver problems:
BTW Justin wrote REAPER.......

Quote:Originally Posted by boka
IMHO there are quite a few DAWs perfectly working with UAD so UAD itself shouldn't be blamed.

Bzzt! Wrong! Their drivers crash and/or throw error dialogs and stop functioning if the calling application does things it doesn't expect (things that are perfectly valid in the VST spec), because apparently they designed their drivers to function in Cubendo and don't seem to care about other applications.

Specifically if you change the ordering of calls to plug-ins on the fly (something NECESSARY for good multiprocessor scaling, and necessary for dynamic adaptation to changing PDC needs -- both things lacking in Cubendo), their stuff BREAKS.

I'm sick and tired of people blaming it on the hosts. This problem isn't unique to UAD either, lots of plug-in devs have this attitude: \"It works in Cubendo, so the host must be broken\". This is a huge cop out. Lame.

We've offered to UAD to fix their drivers for them, but apparently they're content with the situation. My theory (OK I don't really think this but it has crossed my mind) is that seeing hosts have great multiprocessor support would be bad for their business, so they're not in a big hurry to embrace that.

-Justin

Stomper

Cubendo? LOL
correct if im wrong, but arent uad plugins working well with Pro Tools and Logic also?
that 4 working hosts vs. 1 helf working.
ive also didnt hear any compleints on it with Fruity Loops, but dont know how many FL users use it with UAD.

But i do agree that UA should get into it and find the source for the error if they want sonar users to buy their stuff. its easier and cheaper to switch plug-ins than to switch DAW's.

Tony Ostinato

i suppose you fix it in one host and that breaks it in another so you have to choose your hosts/battles.

as far as multiprocessors i thought the consensus was we have the nescessary hardware to beat a uad-1 card now natively, just not the software to match, so he invokes a moot point.

and if lots of developers are sharing said attitude its probably a good move towards standardization.

is cubendo doing it wrong? seems unlikely as they came up with vst and asio didnt they?

horse should drag the cart.

secretworld

No, I think Justin is right! The Uad drivers are designed in a way that is very inefficient for low latency multicore systems. That´s why UA advise to set latency higher or disable multicore to people with problems.
Put very simply, with only one cpu/core it is ok for any process /thread to wait for the other to finish, but on a multi cpu/core this is very inefficient. Steinberg have admitted that on a 8 core machine only 20% to 30% of cpu time is used because of this waiting and they are redesigning as we speak. It is almost certain that if they fix it it will break UAD. That is why sonar is such a difficult host, it has better multithreading too. Logic doesn´t run too well at 8 cores though.
SO please UA accept Justins help!!!!!! He is a great guy!!! And extremely fast, if UA would offer him some improved driver to test an updated reaper would be ready in days not ½ year like steinberg.
Vincent

bulls hit

I emailed UA support about the err=21 errors I was getting in Reaper and asking for some hints as to what might give rise to that particular error.

Got a 3 line response from them advising that Reaper is not one of the supported hosts. No hints were forthcoming. Actually is was a 2 line response. The third was a link to their current promo. I sent another email hoping to clarify my request, but no reply.

Contrast that with Justin's attitude. He added a 'realtime' option to the Reaper render dialog because I asked for it on the reaper FR forum. Now That is customer service.

And considering the paltry 40 bucks I paid Justin versus the thousands I've invested in UA gear, it just shows UA Support's crappy attitude in starker relief.

I'd love for them to give Justin a go at sorting their drivers but it's never going to happen as they would then have to acknowledge that their s/w perhaps wasn't as good as it could have been.

daverich

bulls hit said:
I emailed UA support about the err=21 errors I was getting in Reaper and asking for some hints as to what might give rise to that particular error.

Got a 3 line response from them advising that Reaper is not one of the supported hosts. No hints were forthcoming. Actually is was a 2 line response. The third was a link to their current promo. I sent another email hoping to clarify my request, but no reply.

Contrast that with Justin's attitude. He added a 'realtime' option to the Reaper render dialog because I asked for it on the reaper FR forum. Now That is customer service.

And considering the paltry 40 bucks I paid Justin versus the thousands I've invested in UA gear, it just shows UA Support's crappy attitude in starker relief.

I'd love for them to give Justin a go at sorting their drivers but it's never going to happen as they would then have to acknowledge that their s/w perhaps wasn't as good as it could have been.
I dont think anybody is under the illusion that UA have made great drivers here - I certainly can't imagine anyone wanting to copy thier tech, it sucks.

;)

Kind regards

Dave Rich

bulls hit

What puzzles me is that they can write fantastic dsp algorithms, and then let them out the door accompanied by supremely average drivers

daverich

bulls hit said:
What puzzles me is that they can write fantastic dsp algorithms, and then let them out the door accompanied by supremely average drivers
It is possible they don't write the actual drivers?

Kind regards

Dave Rich

Fundy

Established Member
I think the drivers are written by their franchise company Kind of Loud Technologies.

cram1960

I have a Core Duo XP system (E6850) with 2 UAD-1 PCI and 1 UAD PCIe cards. I use SONAR, and have never had a problem.

My system was built and tuned by Scott @ ADK Pro Audio, specifically for DAW usage.

I am not disputing that there are issues, and that they may be driver related. I'm just throwing my situation out there because it's also true.

Paradigm X

Established Member
Stomper said:
It literally doesnt work in Acid Pro either, my favourite sequencer. Or Sound Forge 9 by all accounts, not that I use it.

I find it stanggering, and quite annoying that they wont upgrade, surely its in everyones interests that they work well multi platform ? An open source offer too...

Shame, I had nothing to fault UA for before, now thats a bit of a downer. Of course, theres no evidence of it fixing Acid (or even reaper for that matter) but if known bugs/etc are spotted and can be fixed, and arent for whatever reason, then that strikes me as very odd.

Why not ?

I appreciate most people using DSP cards use cubendo / logic / PT rather than FL Acid and Reaper, but does that mean we shouldnt enjoy the full benefits ?

Hmmm..... :? :?

Of course ill stilll use them, in Cubase, which I also like, but I dont think its unreasonable to ask for them to work in all hosts, i thought VST was supposed to be standard.

neil wilkes

Venerated Member
Paradigm X said:
Stomper said:
It literally doesnt work in Acid Pro either, my favourite sequencer. Or Sound Forge 9 by all accounts, not that I use it.
Isn't Acid built around DirectX, using custom wrappers for VST?

Fundy

Established Member
I think generally anything that isn't made Steinberg will use a VST Wrapper to a certain extent. Although ACID itself isn't very \"horse's shed\" when it comes to plug-ins other than DirectX.

Paradigm X

Established Member
neil wilkes said:
Isn't Acid built around DirectX, using custom wrappers for VST?
Im not sure to be honest

It is, frankly, crap in a lot of ways but has by far the quickest workflow for working with samples. Realtime preview with timestretch over the current arrangement is phenomenal. Cubase is stop, look for sample, import, timestretch, see if it fits, repeat... Beat slicing for drums, granular synth for other stuff... very quick and easy, and very powerful when you get deep into it. Ive been using it since v1 and have had to abandon :(

I wrote a thread about this, seems everyone has the same problems, it locks up when you try to remove, and sometimes add plugs. LA2a is notable for it. Ive tried tech support and the 'switch' and also all the sonar etc compatibility options, but nothing works. Even reformatted and started from fresh. :(

Ive never had a problem with any other plug in at all in Acid, altho quite a few forget their settings every time you close, which is annoying.

Fundy - not quite sure what you mean by "horses shed" ?

Ta

MikeGS

cram1960 said:
I have a Core Duo XP system (E6850) with 2 UAD-1 PCI and 1 UAD PCIe cards. I use SONAR, and have never had a problem.

My system was built and tuned by Scott @ ADK Pro Audio, specifically for DAW usage.

I am not disputing that there are issues, and that they may be driver related. I'm just throwing my situation out there because it's also true.
What software version of UAD are using?

Also what version of Sonar?

I have a quad core Q6600 and currently 2 x UAD 1 PCI. I will be shortly adding a PCIe card.

I currenly use Logic on my PC but am trying to slowly migrate to Sonar 7 PE. I haven't done a full mix in Sonar yet with of UAD plugs but will be trying that out this weekend, so ~I'm keen to know what works and what doesn't.

Ps..I just bought the PBC plug so am using 4.9.

UAD Bundle Month