• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

Not just another \"I need advice on which plugs to get\"...

yaron

... okay, so what if it is? :D

I'm a musician who's relatively new to recording. I've purchased a UAD-1 flexi pack, and so now have 650$ to spend (500$ voucher + 150$ promotion coupon). After reading about 20 pages into this forum I've pretty much got my mind made up on one or two must-haves. However, I'll try my best to specifically state my recording needs, and will be open (and grateful) to any suggestions.

For vocals I'll mainly be recording myself (bluesy low-tenor. I've been told I sound somewhere between Billy Joel and Tom Jones.).

Otherwise, I'll be recording female vocalists of various styles, a full drum-set, acoustic & electric guitars, Bass, keyboards, and maybe occasionally a sax or flute. so basically it'll just be rock/pop rhythm section, nothing fancy and no real \"special needs\".

Here's what I had in mind:

LA2A: I've managed to gather that it's pretty much good for anything. Plus, being the novice that I am, I'm hardly in any position to be contradicting threads upon threads of user-praise.

88RS: Ditto. plus, it's easy on the dsp. I gather the eq is also quite good, not to mention, at the moment the 88RS will be the only Gate I'll have.

Plate 140: I contacted UAD with the same question I'm asking in this thread and this was the first plug they recommended. Everyone made it sound like a real good bang-for-my-Shekel. :)

Pultec-Pro: I'll be honest, the biggest eye catcher for me was the price. Then I also went on to read how it can be fantastic on vocals and on distorted guitars- which is especially important to me. I'm a die-hard fan of those top-mid boosted elec. guitar overdrive sounds like the ones on Queen and Rainbow records. Since I intend to spend whatever it takes to get a proper good sounding amp, I was rather hoping I could get an eq which would help me get that sot of tone. That said, my low budget restricts me to only two or three eq's that would have to pretty much work on anything. Do you reckon I could get by with the Pultec-pro, 88Rs, and the SE versions of the Neve equalizers?

that list leaves me with about 100$ change (if we go by the end-of-year sale prices), but I wasn't sure what else I may need to invest in.

I doubt I'll be doing my own mastering, and to be honest, I haven't yet taken the time to understand exactly what happens at the mastering stage (but for the sake of focus we'll keep this one for another topic or another forum. :) . For anyone who still can't help it, I'll be more than pleased if anyone wants to post a link.)

I do realise that the best way to go about all of this would be to try out the demos, but my trouble is I'll only get back to my studio on the 29th, and I'm trying to make the best out of the end-of-year sale they've currently got on.

Thanks so much to anyone replying to this short novel. I know it's been long, but I felt I had to be as specific as I could be.

Thanks,
Yaron

lhama

1176 LN or Dimension-D would compliment what you've got....or save your money and go for the Neves

yaron

thanks! yeah, the 1176LN was another main candidate...

But I'm actually more worried about the eq. The UAD are actually the only commercial plugins I've got at the moment, and I'm a bit worried about not having a more versitile eq. If I were to give up the pultec-pro, I'd have enough in my voucher left for something like Helios. So what I'm asking is, how much of the \"pulte-magic\" effect am I missing out on if i don't have the 'pro' version?

digiman

If you need a versatile EQ you should consider Cambridge.
With three filter types to choose from it can do surgical EQ with Type I and more subtle (musical) EQ with Type II and III.

It's a very good EQ when you're not looking for character.

S4410

must haves:
LA2A,Cambridge,Plate 140,1176 LN,88RS.
I would consider Pulteq pro,Neve 1073 ,Dimension-D and Fairchild next.

djsynchro

Hall of Fame Member
LA2A, 88rs, Plate 140, 1176LN these are the workhorse plugs that everybody and their dog likes, and they are all super good.

The real magic of the Pultec is the low and the high bands which you will have with the free version anyway. The pro is not essential IMO.

Then audition the others to see what else you like for your particular taste.
Have fun choosing.

Yala, bye! :D

BTLG

Established Member
you will get plenty of versatility from the 88rs EQ. I'm not a fan of 'tweaky' EQ's like the cambridge, although I can see how one would be.

If I were in your shoes, I would skip the LA2A and the pultec pro for now, and get one of the Neve EQ's. That will give you plenty of compression, gating, reverb (the plate 140 really is a great plug), one eq with plenty of character, and one really versatile parametric eq. There is absolutely no reason you can't get a great sounding mix out of those tools.

I'd recommend the 1073, it's great on guitars (probably much better than the pultec). If you feel you need more compression, I'd opt with the 1176 over the LA2A. I find myself rarely reaching for the LA2A.

Matt

yaron

thanks ao much, you guys have been extremely helpful :).

OK. so I've got my mind made up on the 88RS, plate-140, Pulteq-pro, and LA2A.
That leaves me exactly enough for either Cambridge or the 1176LN. If it was down to you, which would you go for? Take into account that these are the only plugs I've got. Without the cambridge I'd probably be turning to the SX3 eq a lot of the time. On the other hand, without the 1176LN I'd only have two compressors in my arsenal.

big dilemma, help please! :?

digiman

yaron said:

That leaves me exactly enough for either Cambridge or the 1176LN. If it was down to you, which would you go for? Take into account that these are the only plugs I've got. Without the cambridge I'd probably be turning to the SX3 eq a lot of the time. On the other hand, without the 1176LN I'd only have two compressors in my arsenal.

There will (most likely) be more coupons coming your way next year as UA likes to reward their customers, so this won't be your last chance for a discount.
If you decide to add another compressor to your arsenal 1176LN is a good choice.
Turning to the default SX EQ is however not but there's another EQ in SX that offers better quality simply called Q. (VST plugin)
It won't offer anyway near what Cambridge does but it is slightly better than the SX channel EQ.

djsynchro

Hall of Fame Member
\"only 2\" compressors is fine when they're good compressors.
You choose.

My suggestion for the future when you have a budget again for another round of plug-ins: Get a second card first so you can have the 88rs on every channel. Happy shopping! :D

Stomper

yaron said:

No, you have 4.
the compressor in the 88RS (+one more EQ), LA-2A, 1176SE, and EX-1 (which also have an EQ). you should realy check the plug-ins that come with the card.

harrison

I am pretty new too and found that the LA2A through a 1073 to a LA3A on the right vocal part is really really nice. Creamy smooth. I have been using the 1176 on my drum buss and it is nice an dpunchy with the right settings.

I broke down and bought the Neve pack, plate 140, the mastering group, LA2A and LA3A.

I started out wanting a set of mastering plugins. After I got them and read more, I figured that I will not be able to properly master tracks with the limited time and experience. The precision EQ is really nice though and I use the limiter at K14 to keep everything in check and balanced volume wise. Whatever you do, don't max out on the levels. Keep them moderate for a better sound.

kleinholgi

Shareholder
I´d not blow out the entire money in one shot.

The actual discounts may be interesting, but buy only what is really striking and cheap at the moment.

Regarding reverb, I would also consider the Dreamverb, because you get it incredibly cheap now. The Plate is very nice as well, but also DSP hungry at more special.

Otherwise thumbs up for La2a and 88RS.

Hold back some money and take your tim eto work through the 14 days demo phase, that UA gives you for every plug in.
Only activate 2 or 3 at the same time, so you will have enough time to choose what you like the most.

S4410

kleinholgi said:
Regarding reverb, I would also consider the Dreamverb, because you get it incredibly cheap now. The Plate is very nice as well, but also DSP hungry at more special.
yes i totally agree with this.Dreamverb is a good reverb ,very cheap with the discount now and low on dsp.
Pultec pro is not necessary since you have Pultec -save the money for something else.

Core2

Without a doubt the 88rs!
Given what you need and the fact you have just 1 UAD-1 card its a must. Covers much of your needs and great DSP usage.

As for the others put as much time as you can into demo'ing them on your existing projects to really work out what you prefer and what is the most use. As some my sound amazing but use to much DSP to make it worthwhile

UAD Bundle Month