• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

Old school OS9 user - Time for an upgrade - Advice please!!

Mister_Day

Hi I've had the system described in my signature file for three years now and I've decided that it's time for an upgrade! :D

I've had great results with the UAD-1 and may get another card but want to bring my overall system into line with modern software first.

I have decided that I cannot afford to get a G5 at present but will either get a used Mirror Door 1.25ghz dual boot or upgrade the processor to a Sonnet 1.4ghz. The main issue rather than speed is actually noise (I'm aware of the racket the mirror doors make!)

I'm going to go to OSX so that I can get a new sequencer package and my question is which one?

The main problem I have had is with the delay compensation with the UAD-1.... I'm OK sorting out the inserts but the auxes have had me somewhat confused. Ideally I'd like to get a package that does delay compensation automatically for the UAD-1 - I know the latest version of Logic Pro has it but it's too expensive. Does anyone know if Logic Express or Cubase SL have auto delay compensation??

Anyway - any advice on the upgrade would be much appreciated.

Thanks!! :)

First off...I would highly recommend you try to get a G5. Even the lower end ones are right around $1000+ refurbished from Apple. They will be leaps and bounds better than an upgraded G4. I recently bought a refurbished Dual 2.7GHz G5 that came with 1GB RAM for $2100. That was a steal. It was in imaculate condition.

I would seriously stay away from the mirrored door G4s. Most people I know had nothing but problems with them.

As for a sequencer. I use and love Digital Performer. It has automatic delay compensation...is only about $500...MOTU has competitive upgrade pricing from other DAWs which is at a lower price...and it works great with the UAD-1.

Sequencers are a personal thing. I realize that. But for me...I have never liked the look and feel of Logic. Sure...you get lots of plugs and VIs to play with, but you pay for them in that large up front cost. With Digital Performer..you can get the same thing A la cart with the same price as logic if you add MOTU's Mach5 sample software and get another UAD-1 card.

Also...DP5 is around the corner (this month)...and it has some great new features.

Mister_Day

Thanks - I have looked at the upgrade path from Audiodesk (which came with the MOTU) to DP and it's pretty attractive and does everything I need.

Can I just confirm that I won't have to use any compensation at all.... everything will just \"work\" as if using a native plugin?

Thanks again.

Is there a reason why you can't wait a bit longer for a new Desktop Intel Mac since you've waited 3 years anyway? That is the conclusion i came to with my situation. I will probably wait till a 2nd generation desktop though...

Ashermusic

Brian W. Ralston said:
Sequencers are a personal thing. I realize that. But for me...I have never liked the look and feel of Logic. Sure...you get lots of plugs and VIs to play with, but you pay for them in that large up front cost. With Digital Performer..you can get the same thing A la cart with the same price as logic if you add MOTU's Mach5 sample software and get another UAD-1 card.

Also...DP5 is around the corner (this month)...and it has some great new features.
Brian I have no problem with your preferring DP to Logic. It is a fine DAW. But to get everything that is included with Logic i.e. Space Designer, Ultrabeat, Sculpture equivalents as well as the EXS24 and Apple Loops will simply not be the same price. It will be considerably more.

Mister_Day

I've just looked into the idea of getting an Intel G5 desktop - only to see that they only support PCI Express with no legacy PCI slots (thanks Apple) :roll:

So this means I would have to shell out more cash for PCI express cards to replace my existing MOTU and UAD1 setup.

Does anyone know if the PCIe to PCI conversion cards might work for UAD1 and other PCI cards?

Thanks!

Mister_Day said:
Thanks - I have looked at the upgrade path from Audiodesk (which came with the MOTU) to DP and it's pretty attractive and does everything I need.

Can I just confirm that I won't have to use any compensation at all.... everything will just "work" as if using a native plugin?

Thanks again.
Yes...Since version 4.5, DP has automatic delay compensation for all tracks and VIs, etc...

With the UAD-1, just insert a plug and it will compensate the delay in the background automatically. If you insert a plug while it is playing a sequence...it will not compensate until you stop the playback...then it recalculates instantly in the background and will compensate. So...you have to have the playback stopped...but that makes sense to me. Also...I forget if the automatic delay compensation is turned on by defualt or not...you might have to turn it on when you are setting up performer initially...but it is there in the audio setup menus.

MOTU has DP5 features explained on their website as of today. You should check it out. People can order it today and they said it should be shipping by the end of next week.

And just for the record, DP will not compensate delay for outboard/hardware gear like rack mounted synths and such. Just for all the stuff running in your MAC.

Mister_Day said:
I've just looked into the idea of getting an Intel G5 desktop - only to see that they only support PCI Express with no legacy PCI slots (thanks Apple) :roll:

So this means I would have to shell out more cash for PCI express cards to replace my existing MOTU and UAD1 setup.

Does anyone know if the PCIe to PCI conversion cards might work for UAD1 and other PCI cards?

Thanks!
The real question is how often do you buy a computer...or how long do you think this computer purchase will last you? If your answer is 3+ years...then (in my opinion), you might as well buy the most powerful MAC you can get right now WITHOUT an intel chip and WITHOUT PCIe. I seriously would not consider an Intel based MAC for the first couple generations. The intel tower MAC will not be out till the fall or later. And...you will need ALL of your software to be compatible for it as well. Some companies will change over quicker...some slower. Depending on what you use...this could take another year or so from now. And I am pretty confident that the first version of anything intel will have a few kinks in it. In a world where I have to have things running solidly day in and day out...I am more than willing to let the Intel situation solidify and by the time this new Dual 2.7 G5 that I just bought is due to be replaced, I will have confidence in the Intel tower MACs.

The PCIe motherboards are an issue. Everything is going PCIe. But...you are right...the initial cost of doing so now would make a simple new computer purchase twice as much because you would have to upgrade all of your cards as well. UA has not announced a PCIe solution for the UAD-1. I am sure they are working on one...but at this rate, that will be another year or so. I hope I am wrong. But it seems like even they are waiting for the Intel tower MACs to be released before they come out with a PCIe solution for the UAD-1 card...and if they are waiting...that means I am waiting.

All the while...working happily away on this monster of a machine, the Dual 2.7 G5.

So...in a nut shell...I really recommend to anyone that really needs a computer now to just get one. The prices could not be better and when you need to upgrade again in a few years...the Intels will be ready for serious pro work. They don't call it the "bleeding edge" for nothing. Heck...a lot of studio facilities here in L.A. (Todd-AO for example) are still running G4 macs with OS9 on them. Why?...because they are solid and dependable for what they do.

:)

UAD Bundle Month