• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

PCI or PCI Express?

PLAbass

Hello!

I've been looking at the UAD cards for a couple years now and I think I'm finally ready to grab one. My question: do you guys think it's worth it to go for the PCIe version? Is it that much of an improvement over the PCI? The flexi pack looks like the best solution to me except that it's not the most current technology, so i'm kinda wary. Anyone had experience running both PCI and PCIe that could speak to the improvement over the old technology? Thanks for reading!

-Nate

Fundy

Established Member
The PCI Express version is faster operating at 500MB/s rather than 133MB/s, so it will operate faster. To be honest, PCI Standard slots are becoming very uncommon in modern designs of motherboards. So it makes sense to get PCI Express over the other.

PLAbass

Fundy said:
The PCI Express version is faster operating at 500MB/s rather than 133MB/s, so it will operate faster. To be honest, PCI Standard slots are becoming very uncommon in modern designs of motherboards. So it makes sense to get PCI Express over the other.
Okay that makes sense. Question though; does the faster transfer rate actually provide a performance increase (i.e. higher plug count)? PCIe provides a faster potential transfer rate but, as the processing on the card is the same, does it matter? In other words the data could move quicker from the card to the host but the card is no more powerful so does it actually take advantage of the increased bandwidth?
I am tempted to get the PCIe just because of your point that it is the newer, more prevalent technology. The flexi-pack is just really nice because it so well....flexible! I guess it comes down to being outdated quickly versus fewer plugins now.

Thanks for the quick reply!

nate

ZION357

PLAbass said:
Fundy said:
Okay that makes sense. Question though; does the faster transfer rate actually provide a performance increase (i.e. higher plug count)? PCIe provides a faster potential transfer rate but, as the processing on the card is the same, does it matter? In other words the data could move quicker from the card to the host but the card is no more powerful so does it actually take advantage of the increased bandwidth?
I am tempted to get the PCIe just because of your point that it is the newer, more prevalent technology. The flexi-pack is just really nice because it so well....flexible! I guess it comes down to being outdated quickly versus fewer plugins now.

Thanks for the quick reply!

nate
Nope!

Just a different form factor at this point. More for compatibility with newer
mother boards. Get the PCI-e.

Paul Woodlock

Established Member
Getting a PCIe might not be the best option for newer motherboards. most new mobos come with PCI-X ( and even PCI ) slots. Bear in mind that a UAD-2 can't be far away and is likely to ne PCIe only. So if you're planning on expanding the system in the future, a PCI version still might be the best option to leave your PCIe slots free for UAD-2 :)

Just a thought!

PLAbass

Oh that's an interesting thought! I do only have one PCIe slot so whatever I put in there is it for this motherboard. Saving that spot for the new kid makes a lot of sense! Thanks everyone for the advice, I think I'll probably grab the PCI version as the flexi-pack is the most attractive for me right now and it seems as though everyone agrees that the PCIe is not offering any major performance increase for this particular card.

Thanks again!
Nate

UAD Bundle Month