• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

PCI slots on G5

Ashermusic

A friend of mine talked to a higher tier level tech support guy from Apple and the guy told him that PCI slots 2 and 3 get 800 MB per second combined and slot 4 is 1064 MB per second which would lead him to believe that 2 & 3 share a bus and therefore 4 should be used for your most critical audio PCI card. Can anyone either confirm or debunk this? If so, should my Layla be on Slot 4 and my UAD-1 in 2 or 3 or vice-versa?

Ashermusic

OK, I got confirmation from several sources that this info was correct. Slots 2 and 3 share a bus while 4 is alone and is faster. So your most critical audio card, in my case the Layla 24, should be in 4 and others in 2 or 3. But since the UAD-1 is a litlle on the finicky side, would it be better to put the it in 4 and the Layla in 2 or 3? I suspect not but if someone from UAD or a more knowledgable user here could make a definitive statement about this is would be helpful for us G5 users.

UAJames

Universal Audio
UA Official
Hey Buddy,
I know I talked to you on the phone today, but I'm just posting this for redundancy and for the other readers: We have found through testing that you will get the best performance out of the G5s with separate buses when you put your PCI sound card in slot 4 (the separate bus) and putting the UAD-1(s) in slots 2 or 3. If you have a UAD-1 and PoCo this would be the same they would go on either 2 or 3. For users of FireWire interfaces you may have to experiment with which slot works best and for G4s or G5s without dual PCI buses, this is obviously a moot point (there is only one bus).

UAD Bundle Month