• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

PCI vs. Firewire vs. _ _ _ _ _ vs....

mark4man

People,

Right now I'm running an Echo Audio Layla 24/96 thru SONAR on a Wintel system.

If I up the ante & go to higher grade converters, I can go the Firewire route (e.g. RME Fireface 800, etc.)...the ADAT route...up to a mastering grade via AES/EBU, feeding into a 25 pin D-Sub from a mixing board (e.g., UA 2192, Apogee Rosetta 800, etc)...or back to PCI.

My question is: Which of these platforms are better; & why?

Is the main concern conversion jitter?, or is this not a concern at all (with any platform) since the interface converts as a standalone unit & then simply feeds the PC a digital signal?

Are there problems associated with Fireware & ADAT? Are they as fast or efficient as PCI?

If I go up the hill to a UA, Apogee, Mytek or Benchmark, how is AES/EBU as a secondary interface (ADC > DAI > PC)?

Thanks,

mark4man

Also: Are there any good informationals out there comparing these systems for native DAW recording?

klimt

First of all, forget Firewire. It is a jittery interface in that computers are pretty crap at providing stable clock - but that shouldnt be an issue with a high end ADDA. But Firewire is slower and less bandwidthy than PCI.

Right. I hate Firewire :)

All optical formats are prone to data loss so I would avoid that too. Unless you have glass connectors and cables.

I would keep the Layla 24 and feed a stand alone converter via SPDIF(coax) or AES. I have heard great things about UA2192. I use a Rosetta200 myself and I'm constantly fighting not having enough channels. :cry: Sounds great though :lol:

If you want to go AES then try an RME AES card (dont remember the model) and feed Rosetta800

mark4man

klimt...

Thanks.

The thing I could never figure was...Lynx. Lynx had the LynxTwo, which was PCI; & the converters were good enough to almost be considered mastering grade. But they never had a front end to go with it...a breakout box.

So they come out with their \"mastering grade\" hardware series...the Aurora...& make it AES.

Go figure.

mark4man

UAD Bundle Month