• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

Petition for an Attack Knob in the Precision Limiter

Alberto

Here is something gathered from around the forums in here:

The Precision Limiter works great but some drum-heavy or generally "hot" material would greatly benefit from an adjustable Attack Knob. The lack of it is actually making users choose other limiters instead of the Precision Limiter. Since the PM character is great and we all love UAD, we thought about petitioning for an update Precision Limiter with an added Attack Knob.

I'd say an email to their General Inquiries address would be the best.

For consistency sake, let's all use:

To: info@uaudio.com
Subject: Petition for an Attack Knob in the Precision Limiter

with the following I would like to express my suggestion to add an attack knob in an updated version of the Precision Limiter plug-in. Many UAD users and I find it to be extremely useful to make the Precision Limiter more effective towards drum-heavy and generally intense musical material. This email represents a pre-defined standard message we all agreed to use for a more polite way of petitioning.

We really appreciate You considering this possibility, kind regards,

/////your signature
Feel free to fix my english any time, I highly doubt it to be top-notch ;)

Alberto

thefool said:
and just to make it clear: both him and i have sent the email so you can get going!
Confirmed! Also feel free to elaborate on the matter to explain why - in your opinion and based on your experience - this could be a nice addition to an already great-sounding plug-in.

XAXAU

Established Member
boody said:
Alberto said:
Since the PM character is great and we all love UAD, we thought about petitioning for an update Precision Limiter with an added Attack Knob.
Wouldn't that turn it into a compressor? A precision compressor? :mrgreen:
exactly. nice =D>

thefool

we have a compressor, precision buss.
Anyhow, just being able to change between a few selected ones would be fine?

Alberto

Further discussion copy-pasted from other posts:

Eric Dahlberg wrote:

As Hide pointed out in another thread, the only problem with the Precision Limiter is it lacks an attack control and so can soften things out too much. This softening is actually quite pleasant, I even prefer it on acoustic stuff, but I personally tend to avoid it on anything drum-heavy.
Hide wrote:

yeah, that's why I still use Oxford Limiter even though I have P.Lim too.

djsynchro

Hall of Fame Member
As long as y'all understand that the attack time cannot be longer than the delay imparted by the look ahead buffer of a zero overshoot limiter. (Or it wouldn't be zero overshoot any longer, think about it)

Plec

Venerated Member
I don't follow! :)
Why add an attack control to a mastering limiter? It would be like adding a 50 000Hz filter to the Precision EQ.

So it doesn't sound great on a drumbus? Go figure.
No zero-overshoot limiter I know sounds good on a drumbus if your objective isn't protection at 2db max. If you want a dynamic effect that sounds good on drums, go find yourself a good bus compressor instead.

So what are you going to use after the P.Lim with an attack control? You still need to get rid of the shoot-through transients that the limiter would allow to pass... which the P-Lim was designed to take care of.

KaNeT

Plec said:
I don't follow! :)
Why add an attack control to a mastering limiter? It would be like adding a 50 000Hz filter to the Precision EQ.

So it doesn't sound great on a drumbus? Go figure.
No zero-overshoot limiter I know sounds good on a drumbus if your objective isn't protection at 2db max. If you want a dynamic effect that sounds good on drums, go find yourself a good bus compressor instead.

So what are you going to use after the P.Lim with an attack control? You still need to get rid of the shoot-through transients that the limiter would allow to pass... which the P-Lim was designed to take care of.
I can't be more agree. ;)

thefool

boody said:
thefool said:
And as one doing drum heavy stuff, i wouldn't like that :)
Use the release... the auto setting doesn't work well on punchy stuff 8)
That might be the deal yeah. I suspected it to be. Haven't played around with it a lot, much more in with the 88RS atm as
i'm still working on the track

UAD Bundle Month