• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

Phasing

beginner1

I'm new to recording and I'm wondering, what is phasing. When i use two sm57's on a guitar cab i get a load of bass even if its backed down, if that has anything to do with a phasing issue

cAPSLOCK

Phase issues in the context you describe are caused by the following:

Sound travels through space as a waveform with peaks of compressed air coming at the frequency of the wave.

A microphone will respond to this and create a signal that consists of + and - signal.. this works the same as a speaker cone but in reverse.

You can see this on a digital system when you zoom in on a waveform and see the signal travel up over 0 and then back down below and so on.

When you have two microphones recording the same source at different places in space, the same sound wave will hit each mic at a different point in time. If (when) these signals cancel each other out to some extent... you have the efect of two signals being out of phase.

Two signals completely out of phase will generate silince. This Never happenes in the complicated world of acoustical physics... it really only can happen in a computer, or those bose headphones you see advertised on airplanes. ;)

Now... many folks will tell you that phase problems are a bane of recording, and they are right. But they are also part of what makes a signal sound good. Even with a single mic in a small space you will hear the effect of phase cancellation since reflections in the room can cancel each other out to some extent at the mic. This effect is part of what makes a recorded sound have a sence of space.

For the most part we want to aviod phase cancellation though.

The situation you describe with the two mics on a guitar cabinet is one in which you are certain to run into issues involving phase. That having been said... You may like the sound of two mics... you might even be hearing something in the bass as you describe that has something to do with the placement of the two mics. It is that very magic sort of placement we strive for when trying to capture sound.

Understand what you do. Do what sounds good.

Good luck,
cAPS

herb

:roll:
you also can hear phaseing if you are recoding with i.e. cubase and you copy one track and delay it a little bit. if you listen to this two tracks - the original and the delayed one- then you can play around with the delay and hear how phaseing changes.
for the the recording: why do you use two mics of the same typ?
why dont try a different i.e. a condenser mic? you would get the sound of the 57 and the crispiness of the condensers.

UAD Bundle Month