• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

plug choices advise a newbie

phidelity

so uad has a promo on till the end of march ..so i think i going to bite the bullet ... the uad 2 rumour ... well ...yeah when? been trying to hold out for that as i have g5 quad - not enough slots ..damm! so ...

i am planning the budget around the expert pack - so with promo its 900 in uad bucks.

so questions are

is the full neve pack worth it. ie is the 88 plug worth the upgrade - is there much difference in the colour of that plug compared to the other neve plugs. or is the 88rs a better option over the alternatives?

my thoughts are leaning as follows

neve pack
fairchild comp
la 2a - used a rack unit once very nice

debating over the rest but i could split up the neve pack and just take one of the eq's and spend the money elsewhere...

my reasons ...

neve 88 upgrade vs pultec pro - cheap upgrade that fills out the budget hence leaning pultec .. i heard a real unit once very nice and the extra bands over the stock plug would be nice

precision multiband - i don't own one but could be very useful tool or
cambridge eq - i don't have a quality transparent eq so leaning toward the latter of these two ..

i haven't got to sample any uad plugs yet so any input/ideas would be appreciated including cpu load .. as some are heavier than others as i understand it.

i have very few plugs at this point - all freeware shareware stuff and stock cubase. most of what i do is get bent synthesis/ techno/ trance and some classical recordings .. dodge the rockers for the most part but i do have one heavy rocker type project to mix a couple tracks coming up

basically any info on the quality/colour of any plugs would be helpfull including the ones i haven't listed

part 2

i couldn't find this on line, sorry for the newbie question but could someone advise me on the license details - the studio where i have tracked some projects has the same g 5 quad and a uad card ...if i want to bring my plugs to supplement when i mix how is that possible ?... do the licences get stored on the card or machine?

thanks in advance

.mr chris

Greetings,

part 1: well, bit tricky, all plugins are great tools, depends on what you want... in short: go by your intuition :D

part 2: plugins licenses you get via a tiny reg file via the myaudio thing. licenses are tied to the hardware ID of your card(s) and hardware group(s) you have. probably easiest thing is to render the plugins and take the stems/ tracks for mixing with you, or ask the other guy to buy all plugins ;)

HTH,
.c

phidelity

thanks

.mr chris said:
Greetings,

part 1: well, bit tricky, all plugins are great tools, depends on what you want... in short: go by your intuition :D

part 2: plugins licenses you get via a tiny reg file via the myaudio thing. licenses are tied to the hardware ID of your card(s) and hardware group(s) you have. probably easiest thing is to render the plugins and take the stems/ tracks for mixing with you, or ask the other guy to buy all plugins ;)

HTH,
.c
part 1 i've been listening to the online demos but not all plugs have them ..especially the neve ones so hence the attempt at soliciting some input from the more experienced

part 2 - i don't know myaudio thing so i have to figure out what that means but if the reg file sticks with the card as a prom type thing then i could pull my card and bring it to the studio and run two?? yes?? that would be a fine option.

any other opinions on fav plugs/ instrument plug combo's, ideas etc would still be appreciated

cheers

djsynchro

Hall of Fame Member
I would say that it's nicer to have two cards and a couple of plugs than loads of plugs and only one card.
Unless you like freezing.

UAD Bundle Month