• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

Plug-in Latency Question

alfadog

Question on the UAD VST to RTAS adapter. I'm using my UAD cards with Pro Tools and one of the features is \"plug-in latency is automatically set\". Does this mean that if I use a UAD plug-in within Pro Tools, I should have 0 delay from that plug-in? The reason I ask is because anytime I insert a plug-in it is creating a delay on the track. Just wasn't clear on what the \"plug-in latency is automatically set\" actually meant. Thanks...AL

Nightowl

I think they are reffering to plugin delay compensation. Tracks with UA plugs will be delayed because it takes time for the audio to go to the UA card, be processed, and come back out into your host. Most apps have automatic plugin delay compensation, including I believe the latest version of PT. Are you using PT HD or LE, and which version? Are you also using the newer V2 wrapper?

alfadog

I'm using the latest VST to RTAS adapeter and I'm using the LE version of Pro Tools, version 7.3. And no, Digidesign is still witholding the Automatic Delay Compensation for the LE platform. Totally stupid being that there are hosts less than $100 out there that have ADC! Oh well, back to shifting individual tracks tracks again. UGGGH!

Paul Woodlock

Established Member
imdrecordings said:
I'm pretty sure you have to drop a UAD-1 PDC plug on all tracks not using UAD plugs.
Before Cubase had PDC I used to enter a predelay on tracks with UAD-1 inserts to compensate. Only PITA with this was changing system latency. It meant changing compensation pre-delay.

Does PT have a a negative track delay?

alfadog

Hi Paul,

Yes, Pro Tools allows you to shift the track forward or backward by whatever number of samples you choose. The hassle is in keeping track of it all when you have a big mix with a lot of plug-ins. And God forbid you should change the size of your buffer during the mix, then you have to readjust all of your PDC settings on your tracks!

Paul Woodlock

Established Member
alfadog said:
Hi Paul,

Yes, Pro Tools allows you to shift the track forward or backward by whatever number of samples you choose. The hassle is in keeping track of it all when you have a big mix with a lot of plug-ins. And God forbid you should change the size of your buffer during the mix, then you have to readjust all of your PDC settings on your tracks!
Indeed. I used this method to keep the audio inline with the grid though.

Although delaying all non UAD-1 tracks with a 'delay comp' plug makes changing buffer size easy, it means the audio is not heard in time with the grid. Which makes tracking awkward.

Solution is really to use a Host with full PDC ;)

I've watched the Charles Dye Video. I dunno how you peeps cope with PT - MUWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! - just teasing ;) { well just a little bit ;) }

Fundy

Established Member
PT if you ask me is a joke, they screw users by not including stuff which should be in all versions IMHO.

Fundy

Established Member
If I ever needed a Protools system it would be using a DSP accelerated system based on a minimum of the LE 7.x edition (or the latest at the time). I think asking 10,000 to 32,000 dollars for a music system is far too much in this day and age.

You could design something similar and get as good results for much less. Some people need to wake up and smell the coffee.

My ideal rig would be:

Samplitude 9 for mastering
Fastest dual-core setup I could afford.
64-bit edition of Windows XP
Magma chassis full of DSP cards (UAD and Powercore)
2 Tb NAS for all my sample libraries/content.
Steinberg Cubase 4.x/Nuendo 3.x
Secondary pair of monitors (for mastering) - any opinions on the JBL LSR5300 range?

Even all that, it would still cost less than a HD system or not much over it. Plus you would get a whole lot more for your money.

Looking at the spec. on the HD systems they all seem very impressive, however even if I did have a spare $100,000 floating around in a bank, I would still go the other route.

That is just my opinion.

UAD Bundle Month