• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

Precision Limiter VS Sony/Waves/XXX

Qasar

Hello,

Tried a search for past discussions but search engine kept answering:

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in c:\\hosting\\webhost4life\\member\\chrismilne\\uadforums\\db\\mssql-odbc.php on line 137

Thought I´d get some comparisons and comments on the difference, pros and cons between these units:

* UAD Precision Limiter
* Sony Oxford Limiter
* Waves L2/L3
And any other relevant (plugin) in the biz

Isn´t Sony Oxford Inflator a bit similar to these things?
My demo of the UAD PEQ is gone and I can´t remember my impression much.

Thanks!
Rob

lhama

You can add Voxengo Elephant and Kjaerhus MPL-1 to the list. Both are suposed to be excellent. I have the MPL-1 and like it a lot.

imdrecordings

Venerated Member
I'll probably be shot for this... :eek:

I've been using 2 Brickwall limiters for quick masters. (not final)
But I guess this could work for finals (with a little dessing and multi band).... :|
I use the UA-PL and the Waves L2.
Mastering chain looks like this.
roll of the low-lows at 20hz with PEQ
throw on the PL set to \"B\" and reducing big hits at -1 or -2db.(peak @ .01)
then I follow that up with the Neve 33609.
With the 33609 riding the mix with the slowest release and the threshold off.
The 33609 will be sitting around -3 or -4db.
I then throw on the L2 for 1-2db of attenuation and can easily get -10 to -8rms with any noticeable degradation.

Fundy

Established Member
Precison EQ really shines at higher sampling rates of 88.2Khz and upwards. I find Waves L2 too be a little bit lacking character although I have demoed L3 on another system and found the different settings to be useful.
I like Precision Limiter although not for heavy limiting but it's useful for buffing up a few decibels average in a final mix.

Fundy

Established Member
I believe Inflator is a little like a limiter but works in a different way. And can even make a heavily compressed mix sound right in the right hands.

Macc

Established Member
I luuurrrrve Voxengo Elephant (2.5 and later). Love it.

I love L3 for slamming drums through as well, you can really bring the best out of things with it if you use it right.

For mastering, I'll use either/or, but usually L3 as I can make sure the subs get the right priority :)

I haven't tried PL in any depth to be honest... These two are really good!

kleinholgi

Shareholder
Precision Limiter and Elephant are both very nice for the job.

Inflator is a different thing for me. It isn´t a conventional limiter approach, the effect is more kind of densifying, compressing and dealing with 2nd &3rd harmonics in a way that one subjectively get´s the impression of a louder/heavier sound.

Another good limiter comes from kjaerhus, with a little bit more character than Elephant or PL, which are both very transparent.
You can also give \"buzmaxi 3\" a try as well as the tools from TBT.

Eric Dahlberg

Purveyor of musical dreams fullfilled.
As mastering limiters go, I actually find the PL to be relatively lacking in transparency, at least compared to Brickwall and Elephant, though the smoothing effect PL has can be very nice in some applications. I imagine it would be extremely nice for slamming drums through.

The Oxford Limiter has even more character if you use the enhancement section and is wonderful for it. If I had to choose a single solution as opposed to my normal mastering chain, the Oxford would definitely be the one I'd go for. It would combo well with the Precision Multiband but it's a bit over the top when I try to use it in place of Brickwall in my normal Oxford Dynamics/MD3/Inflator/Brickwall chain.

I own both L2 and Elephant but never use them anymore. L2 distorts bass like mad. Elephant is transparent but Brickwall just seems to do it better for some reason.

Macc

Established Member
Up to a point....

Besides which, I use a lot of limiters in my mix (even if they aren't always doing a lot) :) So it's nice to know what the best ones are.

Qasar

Food for thought, thanks!

What about this MD3, how would you describe it compared to the others? Transparent, louder, clearer, punchier...or what?!

R

G

Actually I still like T-RackS and sometimes I insert it in the master. ;)
Also I use PreLIM, MPL-1 Pro, Inflator, those are having own unique character.

So... I wanted to say \"depends on it\" though. :wink:

Dan Duskin

Established Member
Qasar said:
Food for thought, thanks!

What about this MD3, how would you describe it compared to the others? Transparent, louder, clearer, punchier...or what?!

R
All of the above!!! More Transparent (less distortion, & less pumping), allows you to get masters louder, and retains more punch than any other limiter (except the SonicTimeworks Mastering Compressor, or simply letting the signal digitally clip at 0dB, regarding punch alone). The closest alternatives are Elephant and the L3, but neither quite stand up to the BrickWall Limiter in the MD3 package!

Of course, I'm speaking of the BrickWall Limiter plugin that comes with the MD3. The MD3 plugin is a multi-band compressor/expander/limiter+eq that is to be used before the BrickWall Limiter plugin, though, you don't have to use the MD3, you can just use the BrickWall Limiter plugin. Personally, I like the Precision-Multiband better than the multiband in the MD3, but the EQ in the MD3 is one of THE BEST mastering EQ's I've EVER HEARD!

replicant

And the M/S functionality in the MD3 is what makes it excellent :wink:

Dan Duskin

Established Member
replicant said:
I haven't tried it. I guess I should!

I suppose mid-side in multi-band can do a lot more... :)

But, just to clarify for those who have not tried the MD3... Replicant is talking about the MD3 plugin here, and not the BrickWall Limiter that comes with it (which is what I was speaking of above).

replicant

Dan Duskin said:
replicant said:
I haven't tried it. I guess I should!

I suppose mid-side in multi-band can do a lot more... :)

But, just to clarify for those who have not tried the MD3... Replicant is talking about the MD3 plugin here, and not the BrickWall Limiter that comes with it (which is what I was speaking of above).
Thanks for clarifying me :wink:

You most definitely should try the M/S. It's great to be able to run one EQ on the stereo image, to roll of the lower frequencies, and to use different ratios on the multibandcompression of the mono stuff, compared to the stereo signal. It's so much easier to get a solid stereo image with the MD3 than anything else I've tried.

Having said that, you probably could achieve the same by splitting your track onto a Mono and a Stereo group, using subgroups, but that's more complicated than having it built-in from start. (insert lazy emoticon) :wink:

Rickard

I did a shootout a while back with a mastering engineer/friend between the Sony, PL, L2, Ozone and Elephant. The Sony was by far the best of the bunch. I wish I could remember details but it could be pushed harder than any of the others while sounding good. It worked better than clipping for certain guitar tracks that broke up when even mild clipping was used. Ozone seemed the weakest overall. I haven't heard MD3.

Dean

UAD Bundle Month