• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

Race Cars......

sniper

Established Member
toystein said:
Unless more people start posting I'm going to take over this forum with all my threads. :lol:
well it seems i hold the patent for responding to your contributions. :D

i think i've listened to 3-4 of your songs prior to this one and now as i'm back from a SWELL trip to greece i actually looked forward to and hoped i'd find some new toystein material.

i expected a certain kind of style, melody, feel and overall sound and slap my ass and call me betty but you delivered exactly what i expected!

now please take it as a compliment since i've only heard 3,4 or 5 of your songs and already i have an image of what "toystein" sounds like.
in other words you HAVE a "sound".

'nuff said, the new song, "race cars" has that same amount of nonchalant-swag-early 80's-touch that all your other songs have.

i'm a fan of such music!

toystein

I think you do hold the patent. Don't worry the check is in the mail. :lol: I release a song every 2-3 weeks and I'm filling up the threads. :? The group is a not very active, but good stuff going in and out.

thanks for checking the new tune out. You are waaay too kind to my sorry ass. Your comments are very encouraging, thank you.

Speaking of encouragement, how has your own music creation been going?

:)

sniper

Established Member
ah! little did i know you asked a question toy... sorry.

well my own music making is progressing, slowly but steadily.
one problem though: momentum.

i'm in a creative period right now which obviously is great but i tend to leave all a song half finished just to start on the next \"more interesting\" idea.

so i've got some 15-18 half finished songs in my box, NONE of them with vocals, half of them guitar-less and so on.

i know i'm gonna have to work more disciplined and starting next week i'm gonna start with ONE song. ONLY program drums one day, ONLY lay down bass the next, next day ONE or maybe two guitar tracks, and so on.

it feels like that's the only way to get things done AND keeping momentum and enthusiasm for the current project.

thanks for yer interest toystein, whenever i finish a song or two they sure will be posted right here! :D

mattdean

Hey Toy,

I have to agree with Sniper. you stay true to \"your sound\". You get great imaging and separation. I wish I could get that.

BTW, really cool vocals, as always. The only thing ( on my speakers ) is i found the one main guitar just a hair out of the mix compared to everything else.

Nice!

toystein

sniper said:
ah! little did i know you asked a question toy... sorry.

well my own music making is progressing, slowly but steadily.
one problem though: momentum.

i'm in a creative period right now which obviously is great but i tend to leave all a song half finished just to start on the next "more interesting" idea.

so i've got some 15-18 half finished songs in my box, NONE of them with vocals, half of them guitar-less and so on.

i know i'm gonna have to work more disciplined and starting next week i'm gonna start with ONE song. ONLY program drums one day, ONLY lay down bass the next, next day ONE or maybe two guitar tracks, and so on.

it feels like that's the only way to get things done AND keeping momentum and enthusiasm for the current project.

thanks for yer interest toystein, whenever i finish a song or two they sure will be posted right here! :D
I have that problem too. For every song I finish there are 10 half finished ones. I think all creative minded people have this issue. It's probably even harder for the single artist doing everything themself. You almost have to step outside of yourself and force disipline. I used to force myself to finish one song and nothing else, but this became an expense to other creative ideas.

I currently just try to multitask as well as possible. You have to have a priority track and make a commitment to finish it. Working on other ideas will help keep you fresh, you can't ignore those. Plus they help weed through the good the bad and the ugly and set up your next priority track.

I think once you have the song structure where you like it, drum programming, lyrics and basic melodies finished, there is no reason why the song can't be finished. The only reason would be if you are not feeling it anymore. At this point step away and come back to it in a couple of days. If you still don't have any enthusiasm, archive it and get it out of your creative sphere.

You know you're doing something right if you can maintain some level of enthusiams throughout the entire cycle of a project.

:D you can probably tell I've given this some thought.

toystein

mattdean said:
Hey Toy,

I have to agree with Sniper. you stay true to "your sound". You get great imaging and separation. I wish I could get that.

BTW, really cool vocals, as always. The only thing ( on my speakers ) is i found the one main guitar just a hair out of the mix compared to everything else.

Nice!
Thank Matt... I've a few comment regarding the guitar's so I'm going to have to do a slight remix on them and other things, but I'll wait until I have fresh ears. The middle guitar part was actually a scratch track I kept and it is a bit too loud. Bass freq could be up and parts of the vox are a bit too loud.

Speaking of "sound" I can't wait until I finish this collection of songs I'm working on because I want to experiment with different approaches, etc.

thanks for listening.

PS. for better seperation check out the PSP Stereo pack. I use the plugs on certain tracks and it does wonders. I've found these are best used lightly..

UAD Bundle Month