Realverb Pro is crashing the console in Windows 10 / (11 also tested)

I have a problem on Windows. If I put on aux Realverb Pro in console,and after i take it out,my console automatically crash and restart the audio interface. Ideas?

I cleared caches, reinstalled drivers, absolutely nothing. I think it's from the plugin, as long as even in daw it gives me crash if I modify and remove it.I avoided using it until now because ever since I bought the audio interface it made me this strange crash...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I also have a ticket nr: #810856
 

Neotrope

Established Member
are you installing apps as admin? this does help....maybe not here, but i do it now on all windows stuff. also, run SFC SCAN on your PC before doing anything more
 
are you installing apps as admin? this does help....maybe not here, but i do it now on all windows stuff. also, run SFC SCAN on your PC before doing anything more
Yep as admin. I will try with scf scan now in cmd. Thanks! But nothing special...

sfc.png
 
Last edited:

Neotrope

Established Member
Yep as admin. I will try with scf scan now in cmd. Thanks! But nothing special...

View attachment 17926
I do this monthly on my PCs due to all the updates from Microsoft, but also the nonstop barrage of plugin updates across all the vendors keeping up with bugs and Windows 10/11. Every couple of months seems to find something. More often after a Windows update.
 
I do this monthly on my PCs due to all the updates from Microsoft, but also the nonstop barrage of plugin updates across all the vendors keeping up with bugs and Windows 10/11. Every couple of months seems to find something. More often after a Windows update.
Yes. I hope to find a viable solution because I want to use the plugin and I can't.
 

Neotrope

Established Member
I'm assuming you've done all the stuff like reinstall the UAD main package and let it do firmware update on SOLO if needed. Hopefully you optimized PC for stuff like turning off USB power saving, put in performance mode vs balanced, consider BIOS fixes like turning off hyperthreading (I did this on 10th gen NUC with TB3). Try different USB port, try new USB cable rated for 20gb/sec (not power charging cable). Not sure any of that helps, but just some thoughts. I switched from a SOLO to USB Twin on the NUC, and once "tweaked" all plugins work properly.
 
I'm assuming you've done all the stuff like reinstall the UAD main package and let it do firmware update on SOLO if needed. Hopefully you optimized PC for stuff like turning off USB power saving, put in performance mode vs balanced, consider BIOS fixes like turning off hyperthreading (I did this on 10th gen NUC with TB3). Try different USB port, try new USB cable rated for 20gb/sec (not power charging cable). Not sure any of that helps, but just some thoughts. I switched from a SOLO to USB Twin on the NUC, and once "tweaked" all plugins work properly.
Exactly everything and in vain! I also asked for support help, I made a ticket and it all came down to PC specifications and latencymoon. I'm really curious...
 

Neotrope

Established Member
Just get a Mac (LOL... sorry, totally kidding.) ;)
 
Just get a Mac (LOL... sorry, totally kidding.) ;)
Happen to me also on mac(intel version i5)... For m1, 2,3 etc i have to switch audio interface to tb3. Waste of money..
 
UAD Bundle Month
Top