• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

RealVerb Pro_Big Ambience_what the ~!@#$%^&*

mark4man

OK...

I'm writing this from work...so bear with me.

I had to reconstruct an old Drum track that sounded like it was wrapped in plastic or a paper bag. It was from a MIDI track that I had recorded live into the DAW from my digital drums. So...I separated out all the various components onto individual tracks (Kick track, Snare track, Cymbals track, etc.) so as to have more control; & re-recorded everything again, in 24-Bit. I routed all the component tracks to another output bus, added the preset Big Ambience in RealVerb Pro...it sounded beautiful...so I bounced it as a 24-Bit stem & sent it to the mastering engineer to add with the other stems from that particular song...which was the last song left on my CD to be mastered.

He called me this morning to tell me there was a problem w/ the reverb...that it wasn't clean. So I soloed the drums, only to hear these weird faint repetitive echoes. They were most prevalent with the kick. I called him to ask him, since they couldn't be heard in the full mix, on my system in my project studio...would they be a problem. He said...if it were his CD...he would clean it up.

So...why is this happening? Is Big Ambience only meant for vocals, or continuous tone sounds? Is RealVerb Pro broke? Should I try it as a VST (right now I'm running DirectX.) Should I reinstall? Has anyone else ever had this problem with RealVerb Pro?…I know it was a preset, but it made the Drums sound nice (or so I thought.)

Thanks,

mark4man

Dell Dimension 8250 / Windows XP
Intel 850E Motherboard/Chipset
Intel P4 2.53GHz CPU (512 KB L2 Cache, 533 MHz FSB)
1024 MB PC1066 RDRAM
Ultra 60GB Primary HD / Single Volume (OS, Apps, Files/Folders.)
Maxtor DiamondMax 9+ 80GB Secondary HD / Single Volume (Audio Data only)
nVidia 64MB GEFORCE4 MX420 AGP
Echo Audio Layla 24/96 PCI Audio Interface
Universal Audio UAD-1 DSP Powered Plug-In System
KRK Rockit RP-8 Studio Reference Monitors
SONAR XL 2.2
SONAR5.0.2
WaveLab 5

Cass Anawaty

Shareholder
The bigger question is probably \"why does it sound dirty to him when I thought it sounded beautiful to me\"?

Room acoustic treatment is the most overlooked aspect of the home recordist. Ironically, it's the easiest thing to do with THE most bang for the buck.

How's yours?

Eric Dahlberg

Purveyor of musical dreams fullfilled.
The Dreamverb has a similar sound to the Realverb Pro but with cleaner tails. For the time being on this mix, you may want to mix the reverb lower & low pass it to make those delays less noticeable. You could even mix in a little brown noise to mask them.

mark4man

folks...

Not sure if you understand the nature of the question...but I think what I'm asking is...

IS THIS FREAKIN' NORMAL FOR REAL VERB PRO ???

jeeziz...I don't need a lecture on my room...I need to get this repaired.

Is this the way RealVerb Pro sounds w/ drums? What's goin' on?

mark4man

Cass Anawaty

Shareholder
:roll:

I've edited this a couple of times, because I can't address your post w/ out sounding inflammatory.

So here goes my last try:

There's nothing wrong w/ a plug if you say it sounds good and someone else says it doesn't. There should not be THAT much difference in your monitoring and his. That's why I brought up the environment.

This isn't a plug problem. It's either a monitoring problem, or a choice of settings problem.

Eric Dahlberg

Wow.

I thought you guys had better etiquette than that. Maybe Cass & I just have such bad etiquette that we didn't realize we were being rude. We're just a couple of dumb hillbillies, after all.

IMO, it sounds like Realverb Pro is behaving as it normally does. Those imperfections were acceptable back when it was released because there wasn't much better back then, but I wouldn't even think of using it on ANYTHING these days.

Tony Ostinato

For its time it was state of the art, but that time was pre SIR, and also before about 100 other verb plugins.

UA replaced realverb with dreamverb and offered it free to users for awhile at that time, its really the \"fixed\" version of realverb.

and then came plate 140 and they really won me over on that one big time.

download SIR and get some good impulses maybe, i dont think there will be any retroactive enhancements to realverb anymore.

Suntower

Established Member
This is not very constructive---or maybe it is but since this is a mosh pit topic, here goes...

If I had ALL the equipment I tossed aside back in the 70's/80's which had been rendered 'obsolete' by other 'better' sounding stuff, I'd be...

1. A lot happier

2. A LOT wealthier. :mrgreen:

So much stuff that sounded passe' or crap back then, starts to sound pretty great, under the right circumstances, 20 years later.
Alesis reverbs, Electro-Harmonix stomp-boxes, various synths, guitars, you name it.

Perhaps in 20 years, 'Realverb' will be some billion dollar hip-hop producer's 'secret sauce'.

...er... if our pocket phone/GPS/DAW/super computer can still run UAD plugs. :wink:

----JC

cAPSLOCK

I dont really use the realverb much... but this is just a density thing. What you are hearing are the individual refelctions (or delay taps) that make up reverb. This is true in real life and in sims. Ever heard flutter echo in a big concrete room?

I suspect you could use the RV with other settings and get a more dense effect.

IMHO sparce reverbs can sound wonderful on certain things like vocals sometimes, but not ususally drums, though maybe on overheads.

Some of the celebrated reverb gizmos I have used can have this same 'problem'.

Try a differnt setting/preset.

boody

Established Member
Unless I've mistaken your post it seems you're bothered by early reflections.

If you send a kick to a preset called 'Big Ambience' you will hear reflections, simulated just as in real live. Those reflections are tweakable. In most reverbs it's called pre-delay. You can roll off the high end to make them less obvious. You can make the room size smaller to make them less 'in the way'. what hotshot mixers do is adjust the pre-delay to match the tempo of the song so the reflections work rhythmicaly.

Pretty much basic reverb issues that are the same in real reverb rooms.
How natural the simulation might or might not sound is something different; that's where the quality of the reverb kicks in...

Cheers
Budy

mark4man said:
folks...

Not sure if you understand the nature of the question...but I think what I'm asking is...

IS THIS FREAKIN' NORMAL FOR REAL VERB PRO ???

jeeziz...I don't need a lecture on my room...I need to get this repaired.

Is this the way RealVerb Pro sounds w/ drums? What's goin' on?

mark4man
i think this echo comes from the latency in which is set on ur sound card. ive noticed this too especially on kicks. the only way to clean this up is to set the buffer rate to the smallest size possible, but depending on how many tracks ur project has this may introduce crackling and total instability of ur project...

Eric Dahlberg

Suntower said:
So much stuff that sounded passe' or crap back then, starts to sound pretty great, under the right circumstances, 20 years later.
Alesis reverbs
The Alesis Midiverb III is highly regarded by Beatles-heads for its slap back echo. The Yamaha Rev 7's are definitely overlooked gems. H3000's have come way down in price but that may be because they're starting to age & replacement parts are unavailable.

UAD Bundle Month