• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

Recording guitar question

CaptKirk66

Established Member
So recently I was helping a friend record a song at my place. I wanted to get a great sound on his guitar for monitoring, I am working with an Apollo and using Luna. If I don't use a Unison Amp I will have latency. I find all of the Unison Amp choices pretty bad truthfully, at least they are to my ear and style. I'm basically into Fender Amps mostly, I don't even like the Unison Fender amp. I have AmpliTube 5 and the Fender Amps on there sound amazing. Am I missing something, is there a way to use that but not lose my realtime monitoring? If UA came out with a suite of Fender Amps that sounded great it would feel like Christmas for me. IMG_1132.JPG

chrisharbin

Hall of Fame Member
Just a note....you can drop the latency down really low for tracking and then bump it back up. As a guitar/bass player, I find anything from 10ms or better to be perfectly fine (I'm 100% in the box)

chrisharbin

Hall of Fame Member
Oh, and yes, AT5 is much better to my ears than the UA/PA offerings. I'm using Genome exclusively right now but I get 4ms round trip on my babyface pro.

CaptKirk66

Established Member
So to clarify a bit, is there a workflow I can use to implement AmpliTube amps for monitoring but still retain the minimal latency? Maybe through console or something. I tend to learn things as I need them, not so good at traditional learning. I'm a wayyyy better musician than engineer. :D

chrisharbin

Hall of Fame Member
Read above.

jm345

In Luna switch to Core Audio mode. Load the Amplitude plugin, record as usual and see if you get acceptable latency.

CaptKirk66

Established Member
In Luna switch to Core Audio mode. Load the Amplitude plugin, record as usual and see if you get acceptable latency.
Cool, thanks! I'll try it.

Nyoak34

Established Member
See if you can get your hands on a 65 Blackface Deluxe, a Beyer m160 and a 57 or MD421... and a couple Neve pres. If not, see if you can get your hands on a UAFX Dream pedal. Either way you will have a great sound with very little latency.

CaptKirk66

Established Member
See if you can get your hands on a 65 Blackface Deluxe, a Beyer m160 and a 57 or MD421... and a couple Neve pres. If not, see if you can get your hands on a UAFX Dream pedal. Either way you will have a great sound with very little latency.
Well, yeah. But you would think I could get a good clean guitar tone with some nice reverb in the box. Plus I'm old and tired of lugging around heavy ass amps.

klasaine

Hall of Fame Member
I pretty often record with a few native amps in Luna. I just turn ‘arm‘ off and reduce the buffer to 128. Yes, the mix will sound different depending on how much processing your using on the session.
Having said that, I really like the Friedman Buxom Betty for clean fenderish tones.

Nyoak34

Established Member
Well, yeah. But you would think I could get a good clean guitar tone with some nice reverb in the box. Plus I'm old and tired of lugging around heavy ass amps.
I hear you... I was half kidding... but only half. I'd rather lug once and mix once. I've never been able to get usable tones from software amps for whatever reason but Dream and Lion get me at least to where I can play comfortably. I prefer to be mic'd up still but sometimes I use both amp and Dream. The pedal acts, in a way, like parallel comp... since there's no room in it at all you can push it under the mic'd amp for body. As long as you keep the phase tight.

Sorry that had nothing to do with the original post.

CaptKirk66

Established Member
I hear you... I was half kidding... but only half. I'd rather lug once and mix once. I've never been able to get usable tones from software amps for whatever reason but Dream and Lion get me at least to where I can play comfortably. I prefer to be mic'd up still but sometimes I use both amp and Dream. The pedal acts, in a way, like parallel comp... since there's no room in it at all you can push it under the mic'd amp for body. As long as you keep the phase tight.

Sorry that had nothing to do with the original post.
But interesting.

CaptKirk66

Established Member
I pretty often record with a few native amps in Luna. I just turn ‘arm‘ off and reduce the buffer to 128. Yes, the mix will sound different depending on how much processing your using on the session.
Having said that, I really like the Friedman Buxom Betty for clean fenderish tones.
I have that amp. I'll check that one out a little more in depth. (y)

Eric Dahlberg

Purveyor of musical dreams fullfilled.
If you have the Fuchs Train plugin, that's also a good one for Fender tones. I usually use cabinet # 15.

With that said, none of the UAD amp plugins measure up to Tonex, and you'll love loading Tonex inside of AmpliTube.

CaptKirk66

Established Member
If you have the Fuchs Train plugin, that's also a good one for Fender tones. I usually use cabinet # 15.

With that said, none of the UAD amp plugins measure up to Tonex, and you'll love loading Tonex inside of AmpliTube.
Thanks, I'll check it.

MaxTwang

What kind of latency are you getting with Amplitube and with what buffer size? I've used Amplitude, and now Tonex, with lower enough latency for it not to be an issue with a buffer size of 64 or even 32.

As noted above the Buxom Betty, and Train, is one of the better UAD amp sims for clean'ish Fendery tones.

CaptKirk66

Established Member
I know it's not the most versatile, but UAD's Fender is one of the coolest amp sims I've ever used
I never owned one of those amps and the sim is probably a good representation of the real thing. I'm just looking for a cleaner Fender amp tone. I do more roots music and that sort of thing.

CaptKirk66

Established Member
What kind of latency are you getting with Amplitube and with what buffer size? I've used Amplitude, and now Tonex, with lower enough latency for it not to be an issue with a buffer size of 64 or even 32.

As noted above the Buxom Betty, and Train, is one of the better UAD amp sims for clean'ish Fendery tones.
Are you working in Luna with Arm off?

Eric Dahlberg

Purveyor of musical dreams fullfilled.
I never owned one of those amps and the sim is probably a good representation of the real thing. I'm just looking for a cleaner Fender amp tone. I do more roots music and that sort of thing.
FWIW, I sold my vintage Princeton Reverb and Vibrolux Reverb because Tonex sounds every bit as good.

UAD Bundle Month