• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

recording spoken word

johnsherry

Hi, I'm looking for tips for settings on my mic preamp for recording spoken word. I using a Neumann KM184 into a Universal Audio LA-610 then through an e-mu 1820m and into cubase4. I'm trying to reduce the hiss. The sound of the voice is rich but the noise floor between sentences is much louder than I want. :?

imdrecordings

Venerated Member
johnsherry said:
Hi, I'm looking for tips for settings on my mic preamp for recording spoken word. I using a Neumann KM184 into a Universal Audio LA-610 then through an e-mu 1820m and into cubase4. I'm trying to reduce the hiss. The sound of the voice is rich but the noise floor between sentences is much louder than I want. :?
First things first. Take a piece of Tape and cover the 2 mic inputs on the 1820M. Those pres are 2 of the noisiest pres I have ever worked with. I hope you are coming out of the LA610 and into the back of the 1820M, using a balanced cable.

Do you have a lot of hiss or noise in your room? If so, make a little make shift isolation booth. (use packing blankets, foam or even an old stained,crusty mattress)
High-noise floor using a KM184 and LA610 means you aren't gain staging properly or over compressing. Which in turn is revealing the noise in your room. That chain should not have a lot of hiss. Make sure you are using good quality cables.

Because the the KM184 is a SDC, I'd start by using it On-Axis, with a pop filter.

The KM184 has a pretty hot output for the 610pre. You might want to throw in the -15 db pad or not. Switch your vue to monitor the input and get the input set to float between -4 and 0 (big knob right side). Then if need be, switch in the compressor to compress about 1-2db only on louder passages.
Next, bring up the output knob (big knob right side), untill you are hitting -6db peak on your Cubas4 input meter.

Done.

I'm suggesting this all off the top of my head. So, I'm sorry if it makes little sense....

You can also use a gate or cut the noise out, in between parts, after it's been recorded.

UAD Bundle Month