• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

Roland, Neve. and then...

Felix

ok the PoCo has the Access Virus, so i was thinking...why should'nt we get the

Clavia Nord Lead???????

now THAT would rock! For me at least......and a couple of others......

I'd like anything more in the line of previous products. Clavia is far too \"digital\" to be in UA product range. :wink:

The thing should be something definitively analogue that noone has tried so far. The Roland 100-M comes to mind. I own a small rack and it is perfect for the task: analogue, with personality... and difficult to emulate.

Besides, there are not many modular VSTis out there that can rival to a CLAVIA G2 or NM, are there?

Dan Duskin

Established Member
I agree with Pedro. The Nord Lead is a virtual analog synth... one of the first... i.e., it doesn't incorporate any component modeling beyond that of the functions you see on the knobs (no additional harmonic distortion, no additional warming filters, etc.)...

The Nord Lead is one of the simplist designs... choose an Oscilator (a PURE Sine, Triangle, Saw, or Pulse, Choose your PURE volume ADSR, Choose between one of the following PURE filters -12dB/-24dB/HighPass/Notch, Choose your PURE filter ADSR, Choose your Frequency, Resonance, and Envelope Amount... plus a few extras...
It's like Steinberg's \"Neon\" on steroids... LOL!

I have a Nord Lead 2... it's fun, but the sound is as thin and lifeless as it gets!

Dan Duskin

Established Member
If you want VINTAGE PROCESSORS (compressors, eq's, chorus, delay, etc.) get a UAD-1.

If you want MODERN PROCESSORS (reverb, compressors, eq's, chorus, delay, etc.) get a Powercore.

If you want Synths, Keyboards, and Samplers... get a Creamware DSP card.

Eddie Macarthur

i think it would be a waste of the already limited dsp power to start putting virtual synths on the uad1.
and as shown above; which synth to emulate?
all the popular ones have already been done (except things like the Jupiter 8, although roland do a similar type for their varios).
i'd like to see voice processing/filtering type plugins. something different and unusual, NOT a recreation of an existing device. just for a change...
Ed

pliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiz

no v synths on uad

pliz some moog delay replica with feedback circuit

or some ssl eq g series replica (for mid freq boost)

otison

if you want VA why would you want to have it on a DSP card ? (I can only see trouble and disappointment, like loads of latency , no hands-on immediacy etc.) ?

to me there is no point really. get a PoCo for that.

secondly why modelling a thin sounding synth like the NL ? maybe NL fans have some special views as to how the \"components\" inside act all together? maybe there is some scope here to go in the details of how D/A is handled in a (vintage) Nord Lead 1 ?
:lol: :lol:

before I get flamed for that, it's just my personal view here (you guessed, I never quite liked the NL sound overall, tell you what when NL 1 was first released it was supposed to be a digital recreation of a Mini).

another vote for UAD to stay well focused ! Better off doing just a few things right (in that case modelling vintage processing/effects) rather than being just another jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none.. and before you start on PoCo offerings, remember there's an audio giant behind TC (TC, Dynaudio, etc.) and not behind UA who are rather more of a (successful) niche player...

Felix

ok, ok, nevermind!

electro77

Venerated Member
Dan Duskin said:
If you want VINTAGE PROCESSORS (compressors, eq's, chorus, delay, etc.) get a UAD-1.

If you want MODERN PROCESSORS (reverb, compressors, eq's, chorus, delay, etc.) get a Powercore.

If you want Synths, Keyboards, and Samplers... get a Creamware DSP card.
Exactly.

Felix

my point was that since the PoCo has the Virus, UA could has well get the OTHER big player in synth industry, namely the Nord Lead. That would create a huge buzz. There is THOUSANDS of nordleads in studios around the world.
and dont forget that it is not that good to have *100%* ''analog-tube-fuzzy-sound'' in music. The key is in contrast. I feel.
You know, i like occilliators that actually stay in tune and al...crisp and cristal-clear leads...
the Discovery? Not even close to the real thing in my opinion.
Look at what TC did with the Virus, by just taking the original Virus B 's engine and use it in their card. They could do the same with the nordlead 2, no? Im sure it would be a huge hit, sales and marketing-wise. I think that its just the naysayers that posted flaming posts!

*sigh*

i DONT whant a PoCo!

besides i already own a Virus.

have a good day.

Felix

ok i'll pile my cash and buy the freakin HW synth.

*re-sigh*

I could agree with you on some points (I do not on the whole since I would really love a good synth in UAD vintage style) but I think that your reasoning has some points that should be explained, if you wish of course.

otison said:
if you want VA why would you want to have it on a DSP card ? (I can only see trouble and disappointment, like loads of latency , no hands-on immediacy etc.) ?

to me there is no point really. get a PoCo for that.
I'm pretty confident that a Poco is also a DSP card with the very same potential for "trouble and dissapointment, lots of latency, etc..." then, why do you recommend a Poco instead of a UAD for Virtual Synths? Is there any aspect of PoCo design that makes it more reliable than a UAD for recreations of virtual instruments?

otison said:
when NL 1 was first released it was supposed to be a digital recreation of a Mini
Do you mean a Minimoog? I disagree completely. When I got my NL1 it was not marketed nor visually nor soundwise as a minimoog. Its architecture is completely different, number of oscillators, modulation possibilities, types of filters, envelope stages, etc.... A Nord Lead 1 certainly does not sound analogue, its DSP should be not harder to program and, in fact, I think one of the original coders at Clavia designed Reason's Subtractor which does certainly look a lot closer to it than a minimoog ever will.

otison said:
there's an audio giant behind TC (TC, Dynaudio, etc.) and not behind UA who are rather more of a (successful) niche player...
There might be a giant behind TC but they didn't certainly program the Virus, another niche player, ACCESS, did it.

I don't care if UA decide or not to implement virtual synths on the UAD, but I hope they take their decision based on more solid arguments than those usually presented at this forum.

[-X

Felix

word!
ha

Eric Dahlberg

Purveyor of musical dreams fullfilled.
Felix said:
my point was that since the PoCo has the Virus, UA could has well get the OTHER big player in synth industry, namely the Nord Lead.
The PoCo uses Motorola DSP's like the Virus does, so porting the synth over to the card was relatively trivial compared to what it would take to port the Nord to the UAD-1. I'm actually on your side about hoping to have UAD-1 synths some day but I don't see the point in porting a Nord over when doing so would take about as much effort as it would to do something different & perhaps better.

Besides, UA has already got a bigger player of the synth industry on their side - Roland! - so it makes the most sense to ask for something from their lineage. Jupiter 8! Jupiter 8!

otison

pedro trotz said:
I'm pretty confident that a Poco is also a DSP card with the very same potential for "trouble and dissapointment, lots of latency, etc..." then, why do you recommend a Poco instead of a UAD for Virtual Synths? Is there any aspect of PoCo design that makes it more reliable than a UAD for recreations of virtual instruments?
PCI latency? I believe PCI induces more latency than Firewire does. so my comment would be valid for the more recent FW version of PoCo.

pedro trotz said:
Do you mean a Minimoog? I disagree completely. When I got my NL1 it was not marketed nor visually nor soundwise as a minimoog. Its architecture is completely different, number of oscillators, modulation possibilities, types of filters, envelope stages, etc.... A Nord Lead 1 certainly does not sound analogue, its DSP should be not harder to program and, in fact, I think one of the original coders at Clavia designed Reason's Subtractor which does certainly look a lot closer to it than a minimoog ever will.
you have a point. I should have said 'substractive synth' rather than Mini. to me Mini is a bit of a shortcut for 'all synths analogue' , indeed the Mini is the grand-daddy of them all.

but dare I say when NL1 was first released in late '94 it was the first VA of a long list, and it was designed as a 4-in-1 lead synthesizer, hence the Lead in "Nord Lead". and the whole concept was closer to a Osc+Mixer+VCF concept than, say, to a Korg M1 or a Roland D50 which were still reference synth at that time. you have to put it back in context really. Which makes it closer to a mini than the above mentionned. just my view here.

Sound On Sound themselves compared it to a Mini and and SE-1 when they first reviewed it in 95 : http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1995_ar ... dlead.html

pedro trotz said:
I don't care if UA decide or not to implement virtual synths on the UAD, but I hope they take their decision based on more solid arguments than those usually presented at this forum.
I believe arguments developped here are usually solid as we all form a small community of users and that's what UA look at when they want direct feedback of their strategy.

I DO care about UA releasing a virtual synth because they're a small team and I want them to stay focused on what they do well, modelling vintage gear. They know a lot about vintage processors and effects and that's why I bought UAD in the first place. When I want a synth I go and buy a nice synth or VA like M3X from Macbeth (for real analogueness) or a Alesis Ion (for a flexible and nice VA). If UA were to model a Jupiter 8 or System 100 I would certainly keep an ear on it. but that would have to come as an extra, and I would certainly put more interest on their historical love affair with all things EQ and compressors. I'll never get enough EQs :)

btw have you checked that article in SoS about their "strategy", very interesting.
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb05/a ... laudio.htm

rydan

PoCo can run the plugs in \"low latency mode\", where I think they just run (most of) the algorithms on the CPU instead of on DSP.

By the way, the NL was supposed to model the Prophet 5, not the Mini. Also, the greatness of the Clavia range (not least the NL3) is the user interface more than the sound itself (even though I think they sound good, just not extremely \"analogue\")...

UAD Bundle Month