• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

Samplitude users...seeing any issues with 4.7? I am.

G

Seeing some unbearable latency issues with the new UAD-1 v4.7

I have a VIP with about 18 tracks, no VSTis , fair amount of UAD plugs including the new Neve 88RS, couple of Sonalksis plugs, etc. Not really taxing my machine at all, but I'm getting HUGE 3-4 second dropouts when I engage playback. I'll get maybe 1 second of playback, then the dropout, then individual tracks will slowly start to become audible. Controls are very sluggish...mute takes several seconds to engage etc.

Turning off UAD plugs resolves the issue so it seems to be the culprit.

anybody else?

here's all the pertinent info:

Win XP SP2
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600@ 2.4Ghz
Asus P5B-E (965 chipset) AMBIOS v. 0706
2GB Corsair DDR (800MHz – 2x1GB sticks)
Nvidia Geforce 6200TC (128MB, dual head)
MAudio Audiophile 192
200Gig Seagate 7200RPM SATA HD (8MB cache - OS/Apps)
300Gig Seagate 7200RPM SATA HD (16MB cache - Audio)
16x Sony DVD+/-RW – dual layer capable
FS Bus Speed 1066Mhz
Zalman CNPS9500

Samplitude 9.1.1
track FX mode
2048 and 4096 VIP object buffers
384 Samples ASIO buffers

(2) UAD-1 PCIe

imdrecordings

Venerated Member
What Monitoring Engine are you using?
I've pretty much abandon SAM V9 for mixing. It is still glitchy and the more intense the project becomes.. alla higher track counts, more UAD plugs, tweaking... the slower it's responce. Really starts to get in the way. Try software monitoring (second from the left) with a soundcard buffer at 512 1024, instead. Hybrid Engine still acts funny. It seems as if SAM loves the Native plugs as do most host software programs. I wish the UADs were a bit more fluid in there relationship with host software. I haven't gotten used to using effects on objects and you can't even use your UADs on objects. Strictly the inserts.
Sorry if I'm not helping... I'll download the update this weekend and let you know what I see.
-S- :?

G

I've tried all the engines...same results although the \"lag time\" does vary by maybe 250ms-1s.

I tried a couple of different PCI latency settings in my BIOS, but no real change. The one thing I noticed today is that the problem seems to be based on the play cursor location. If I'm moving around the cursor and dropping at random locations then starting playback, I get these dropouts. If I continue to restart playback several times in a row from the same cursor location, it runs seamlessly.

Revelation

Call Tech support, they have been very helpful for me.

So far I have found Samplitude to work great for me with my RME card and Pent IV computer. I actually left Cubase in leiu of Samplitude and like the program and support much better.

G

I posted this over at the samplitude forum as well:

I'm not so sure it's the UAD card or new drivers at this point. I did this tonight:

I started a fresh VIP...Imported 24 continuous audio tracks, mostly mono, 2 stereo, dumped 21 of the new Neve 88RS strips in, a few LA-3As, 2 Plate 140s, Dimension D, Neve 33609SE comp, and a Precision Limiter. I had 2 UAD cards at 94%.

I had smooth starts every time regardless of where I dropped the play cursor. I beat on it for 30 minutes just starting and stopping and randomly dropping the cursor. Not a single droput or gap in audio playback.

BUT, when letting the track play for up to 30 seconds, my Samp DSP meter went from 17% up to 101% every time eventually bringing the audio to a stuttering overload. I thought the whole idea of the DSP cards was to take the strain off the CPU, not increase the load in a 1:1 equal ratio.

One thing, unlike a real working VIP, the objects in the tracks had no edits or effects performed upon them. I'm running at 24/44.1 btw

billybk1

Shareholder
Kyle Ashley 2 said:
BUT, when letting the track play for up to 30 seconds, my Samp DSP meter went from 17% up to 101% every time eventually bringing the audio to a stuttering overload. I thought the whole idea of the DSP cards was to take the strain off the CPU, not increase the load in a 1:1 equal ratio.
That appears to be a classic case of native CPU munching. I got the same type behavior in SONAR 6.2 after stopping & re-starting playback and heavily using the UAD-1 DSP. The main reason I don't use SONAR to mix anymore. Works okay if you are a light UAD-1 user, but not for power users (3-4 cards) using a lot of DSP & latency intensive plugins.

bob humid

Kyle Ashley 2 said:
I've tried all the engines...same results although the "lag time" does vary by maybe 250ms-1s.

I tried a couple of different PCI latency settings in my BIOS, but no real change. The one thing I noticed today is that the problem seems to be based on the play cursor location. If I'm moving around the cursor and dropping at random locations then starting playback, I get these dropouts. If I continue to restart playback several times in a row from the same cursor location, it runs seamlessly.
check if you accidentally disengaged TrackSpeed... engage it back.

best

robert

dlbmusic

yeah, 4.7 is solid here.

azlanah

Kyle Ashley 2 said:

I have a VIP with about 18 tracks, no VSTis , fair amount of UAD plugs including the new Neve 88RS, couple of Sonalksis plugs, etc. Not really taxing my machine at all, but I'm getting HUGE 3-4 second dropouts when I engage playback. I'll get maybe 1 second of playback, then the dropout, then individual tracks will slowly start to become audible. Controls are very sluggish...mute takes several seconds to engage etc.

Turning off UAD plugs resolves the issue so it seems to be the culprit.

anybody else?

here's all the pertinent info:

Win XP SP2
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600@ 2.4Ghz
Asus P5B-E (965 chipset) AMBIOS v. 0706
2GB Corsair DDR (800MHz – 2x1GB sticks)
Nvidia Geforce 6200TC (128MB, dual head)
MAudio Audiophile 192
200Gig Seagate 7200RPM SATA HD (8MB cache - OS/Apps)
300Gig Seagate 7200RPM SATA HD (16MB cache - Audio)
16x Sony DVD+/-RW – dual layer capable
FS Bus Speed 1066Mhz
Zalman CNPS9500

Samplitude 9.1.1
track FX mode
2048 and 4096 VIP object buffers
384 Samples ASIO buffers

(2) UAD-1 PCIe
hi..i'm using samplitude 9.11 now running 3 UAD plugins and after resolving the post 4.60 problems, I have no problems running the plugins.. I'm running a 6 year old Gina24 bit card and ASIo doesnt run so well on the system.. My system option settings are as follows:

Driver System: WDM
VIP object buffer 4096
Device resolution: 24 bit
Monitoring setup = turn off (using gina's hardware)

Perfomance setup : I ticked everything
Extended Buffer settings:
VIP, HD and Test buffers : 4096
Buffer : 8

HD Performance:
Activate Track Speed
Preload file cache during play stop
Preview time 6 sec
Preload at Play Start 25%

This seems to be a non-problematic configuration for my setup.. You might wanna try this.. Having said that I've used an audiophile card before and I had issues with clicks and glitches when trying to run gigastudio.. I've sold the card since then..

Hope this helps..

Azlan

Schaap

Kyle Ashley 2 said:
No problems here. Samp 9.0.1 and one UAD-card. Performance about 100% works without a glitch. System about 2.5 year old, no dual core (yet)

Asus P4C800 Deluxe
Pentium 2.8 Ghz
2 G Valueram
RME Digiface(2x)

Henk

G

Thank you for all the suggestions! I finally managed to get the offending project to work correctly by increasing the \"Preload at Play Start\" amount from 25% to 100%. I was then able to get 100% stable playback starts with no dropouts.

What's interesting is that I set the amount back to 25%, and it is still working perfectly. It does appear that 4.7 is working well within Samplitude 9.1.1

UAD Bundle Month