• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

Should i join the Uad gang and get 2 cards.

Condivi

Hey guys. i am looking for some quaily plugins and uad-1 seem to be what i am looking for.

Now the problem is i mix at 96K and it really does sound twice as good for vst instuments to mix at this sample rate. So i can afford 2 uad-1 cards but at that sample rate it doesn't look like i will be able to run many plugin's at all.

I dont know if i can justtify all that money for the abilty to run between 6-10 plugins at once.... I will be running mainly the higher cpu plugins... i mean thats why i wanna get it. But i supose i will be constatly freezing and unfreezing tracks....

What do you guys think should i do it. I feel that eqs and compressors are more important for me at the moment than revebs as i already have some nice vst reverbs.

daverich

I wouldn't.

I would put that money away and wait until the uad-2 comes out.

Thats what I'm doing ;)

Or, if you really have the urge to purge then why not upgrade your cpu, buy Voxengo Marquis, HarmoniEQ, some kjaerhus stuff, download Nebula free, download the Modern bundle and buy PLpareq3.

I have to say running at higher samplerates the native stuff is on par with the UAD stuff these days. You're not really missing much.

That said, a high-power UAD-2 which can run sensible amounts of their newer plugins would be a very welcome addition.

Kind Regards

Dave Rich

lordward

I don't see any signs of a new UAD card, at least not for the next half of year. Definitely great sounding compressors, even if you have to freeze them and the price of a basic UAD is pretty cheap so I'd say make the plunge if you need it right now. If you are not in a hurry you might want to wait it out to see if the new super-duper UAD2 comes out. I'm still skeptical that there even will be one, but that's just me. :wink:

DW

Fundy

Established Member
You seem to be forgetting the DSP processor used on the UAd-1 is obselete, so just creating a new board isn't a direct option. I imagine, the developers would need to recompile the code for the different processor on the new PCB.

wishingwell

Condivi said:
Hey guys. i am looking for some quaily plugins and uad-1 seem to be what i am looking for.

Now the problem is i mix at 96K and it really does sound twice as good for vst instuments to mix at this sample rate. So i can afford 2 uad-1 cards but at that sample rate it doesn't look like i will be able to run many plugin's at all.

I dont know if i can justtify all that money for the abilty to run between 6-10 plugins at once.... I will be running mainly the higher cpu plugins... i mean thats why i wanna get it. But i supose i will be constatly freezing and unfreezing tracks....

What do you guys think should i do it. I feel that eqs and compressors are more important for me at the moment than revebs as i already have some nice vst reverbs.
My philosophy is quality before quantity. Sure you won't be able to run alot of Uad's at once and admittingly that is probably UA's greatest flaw, But i feel blessed quite often just to have a few instances in my project rather then have none. The quality is very high and when i consider my hardware effect using days where i did'nt have alot of effect units to work with in a project (even less then what UA offers me) I think the Uad's are well worth it and some (not saying the future should be like my past but that i'll make it ok :wink: ). Plus there still atleast is freezing and bouncing. Don't misunderstand me i do believe UA needs to come with a more powerfull card for those that need it, i myself want it but i get by fine with the combination of Native and UA's and managing. My 2 cents.

P.S. When UA releases a new card that's 4 times more powerful, i look forward to the new plugins needing 4 times more power :p .

yeah UA need to up the power seriously! But as it has already been said, they are working on it but it may be a while, otherwise it would have been anounced at NAMM. That tells me that it probably isn't even in the alfa stages :(

When I bought my first card I quickly found that I maxed it out rather quickly at 48K. so I bought another. I maxed it out as well, but was able to do much more. I bought a 3rd and havent maxed it yet, but if I switch to 96K I would max them all rather quickly! I will not buy the Neve plugs until the new UAD system appears!! I love the sound but I cannot afford the CPU overhead! ( I know some will dissagree with me here, but I don't care. :eek: ) The 4 card limit is a major drag if you rely heavily on the UAD-1s for your plugins. I am planning to up the sample rate to 96k as soon as I replace a few more peices of gear, but that will affectively cut my plugin count in half!!

At any rate UA claims that what ever they do they will work to keep our investment in their current products viable. The thing that is NOT clear to me is whether people with 4 cards will be able to add the new system and still use their exsisting cards!!!!! If so that will rock! but if not there will be some very dissapointed people here!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess you are the only one that can decide whether you need another card or not. I guess it depends on how heavily you rely on the UA plugs and whether you need more power or higher plugin count. If you need it, I say go for it!! I don't see it going away anytime soon. the only risk may be buying 4!? but that may not even be an issue. We'll see ;)

tkingen

Are you a home studio hobbiest or do you record professionally? I'm in the home/hobby camp and have never regretted buying a 2nd card. My projects run anywhere from 2 - 15 tracks each and having 2 UAD-1's has been a perfect solution for me. The only time I've run into trouble has been in trying to use too many of the Neve's, but the SE versions work just fine for my stuff.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

ed_mcg

There was a period of interoperability issues between UAD and Sonar; this has now been resolved. During the worst of it, I was on the verge several times of yanking the cards out and Ebaying. But I never could, I end up using at least a few plugs on every mix in order to \"bring it home.\"

I have Waves Gold, most of all the Voxengo, etc, these are great stuff, but there always is a track that just isn't happening until I put a UAD plug on there; usually on of the compressors (LA-2A, 1167LN, Fairchild).

One thing I've learned is go for the natives first, then pull in the UAD as the silver bullet.

One thing I'd seriously suggest though: make your decision on what is available today with the UAD-1. This may very well be all there is to work with for an extended period of time. Sure, the Mpact chip is now 11 years old. But, for what it does, it does it well.

G

It depends. If you need getting more power right now, buy it.
I bought 3 cards last year, but I still don't regret yet. ;)

djsynchro

Hall of Fame Member
I am always mystified why people use 96Khz, it seems to me that 88Khz is a better option, as it's a power of 2 conversion to get back to 44Khz for the final master, without rounding errors.
And running at 88Khz surely moves all the Nyquist problems well out of the way, and is slightly lighter on CPU.
:?:

UAD Bundle Month