• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

so I switched fro a pc to a mac G5.... help?

boody

Established Member
no, nothing serious; after about 10 crashes I got it about stable. I needed to put the two screens I use to 'thousands colors' instead of 'miljons' to avoid severe clicks 'n pops and needed to experiment with the different settings in logic to make it run smoother. Still I'ld love to know from more experienced mac-logic pro users what their specific settings are and how stable it all is. Right now it is as stable as my pc, which means 'work slow and all be fine...mostly'

What makes me worry is that the first mix-project I did was not running smooth and sometimes maxed out with only 15 tracks and a handfull of plugins: Uads running near 75%, two spacedesigner plugs, 5 tritone free plugs and a handfull of logic plugs. I could do simular stuff on a PIII single processor without worries.... funny detail is that the sytem performance meter was next to useless and showed complete different values with every new run. I did find the Apple pro-application support yesterday night and installed it; will see if it makes things any better...

Setup: G5 dp 2.0 (normal pci version, no AMD worries), 2.5Gig, 2HD (system, audio) 2xUad-1, Rme multiface (pci), Logic pro 7.1, OSXtiger.

Installed plugins: Tritone phasetone, colortone free,
demo's of waves, hydratone, colortonepro, elemental inspectorXL

I'm gratefull for any tip or word on a stable system
Budy

saint

Couple questions

- How much RAM?
- What slots are your PCI cards in?
- What type of video card?
- What is make and model of your second hard drive?

Cheers,

:: Chuck Hasek

George Axon

One thing that you should do regularily is \"repair disk permissions\".
Look in Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility. Do both verify and repair. You could also post any problems on the Logic newsgroup:

http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=771

It is quite a stable system once you get your stuff worked out.

The other thing to look for is your I/O buffer size being set too low. with your system you probably could run at 64 but maybe 128 is more appropriate. When you mix you could set it all the way to 1024 for most robustness.

George Axon

Ashermusic

boody said:
no, nothing serious; after about 10 crashes I got it about stable. I needed to put the two screens I use to 'thousands colors' instead of 'miljons' to avoid severe clicks 'n pops and needed to experiment with the different settings in logic to make it run smoother. Still I'ld love to know from more experienced mac-logic pro users what their specific settings are and how stable it all is. Right now it is as stable as my pc, which means 'work slow and all be fine...mostly'

What makes me worry is that the first mix-project I did was not running smooth and sometimes maxed out with only 15 tracks and a handfull of plugins: Uads running near 75%, two spacedesigner plugs, 5 tritone free plugs and a handfull of logic plugs. I could do simular stuff on a PIII single processor without worries.... funny detail is that the sytem performance meter was next to useless and showed complete different values with every new run. I did find the Apple pro-application support yesterday night and installed it; will see if it makes things any better...

Setup: G5 dp 2.0 (normal pci version, no AMD worries), 2.5Gig, 2HD (system, audio) 2xUad-1, Rme multiface (pci), Logic pro 7.1, OSXtiger.

Installed plugins: Tritone phasetone, colortone free,
demo's of waves, hydratone, colortonepro, elemental inspectorXL

I'm gratefull for any tip or word on a stable system
Budy
First of all, be aware if you buy Altiverb it requires your system to be set to millions of colors. i don't know if there are others also.

The Apple Pro Application Support update should make a big difference. I am runnning a very similar system to you and it is as stable as it has been since Logic introduced audio to its capabilities. The biggest differnce is that I am using a Echo Layla 24 rather than RME and a single UAD card. Also, while I am using a ton of plug-ins none are the ones you listed. Also several of tthe ones you are using use Pluggo. Some people, including me, experienced instability with it although reportedly the problems have been solved. Also I do not know how much ram you have, hopefully at least 2 gig.

The big drag is that there is really only one scientific way to do this, You must start without any 3rd party plug-ins and see if the system is stable foe several hours. Then gradually add plug-ins a couple at a time and see if it stays stable. This is hard to do when you have work I know but it really is the only way.

Good luck.

boody

Established Member
Thanks Chuck, George and mr Asher for the replies 8)

I wasn't clear about my setup; it's a 2.0ghz dual processor with 2,5gig ram. Additional; the graphcard is an ATI Radeon 9600, the second drive a seagate barracuda 200gig. Audiocard is in slot 2, the uad's in 3 and 4. All drivers are the latest available.

George; thanks, dunno what that was but it found a truckload of errors.
Buffersettings were 1024 while mixing, couldn't go higher. By the way; my finder help wasn't working anymore, but it didn't fix that.
I know about the forums; I used to be a logic betatester on pc and the whole pc to mac idea is to get back to logic... well, that and the discovery of the rootkill virus. But Logic rules bigtime for me, and I did try just about everything.

I've set the colors back to miljons; I think it should be able to run smooth that way. I know pluggo has quirks; the au-validation doesn't go smooth and the tritone plugs tend to crash if not handled with care. But the plugs are too cool to skip. Phasetone is the bomb.

Cheers
Budy

boody

Established Member
ok, there's improvement; with a PCI min_gnt setting of 32 I can run miljons of colors on both screens without trouble. It seems to be more stable now. System performance meter behaves normal for the second cpu only. The first reads complete different values every run; from 50% to 30& to nothing to pulsating spikes of 100%. Disk I/O looks stable though a bit high for 15 stereo tracks on my test file.

What are your min_gnt settings?

Regards
Budy

thewitt

boody

There have been reports from many users (including myself) of troubles with LP7 and dual machines. Just what you are talking aobut, one processor going through the roof and maxing out the machine, while the other (looks like it) is doing 'nothing'.

The Pro App support helped a great deal, as did the 7.1 upgrade, but things are not as smooth as they should be.

If I wasn't in the middle of a project, I would give Digital Performer a shot. With the UAD-1 plugs, I barely use any Logic stuff.

Trace

thewitt said:
If I wasn't in the middle of a project, I would give Digital Performer a shot. With the UAD-1 plugs, I barely use any Logic stuff.
I'm on the LUG & DP forum and things are not exactly perfect there either. I like DP, but i've been using SX3 and its been near perfect for me. I'm using SX 3.01, I read some bad experiences with the 3.1 update. I figure its not worth taking a chance.

One thing I have loved about SX on the Mac has been VST. unlike AU plugs there is no validation, no serious issues with compatibility. VST Plugs mostly just work. I've had Zero Problems with any of my VST or VSTi's. I've been running sessions without a hitch for a long while now. I won't upgrade or switch to another app so long as i'm getting great performance from my current rig.

A lot of people look down on Cubase, but I can tell you that vers 3.01 has had fewer serious problems from what I can tell from reading on the LUG and MOTU-MAC forums.

TRACE :)

boody

Established Member
I must say the activity meter (or whatever that's called in english) is much more reliable than logics system performance meter. My guess is that the first processor meter is badly influenced by graphics performance. Also; the color problems I had could be easily due to the uads being graphic cards themselves. At least there is some competition between the uads and the ati-graphcard.

I use a lot of native logic stuff, since my testing days I'm quite familiar with them and soundwise some of it is excelent. Yesterday I tried ultrabeat; though the librairy sucks a bit it is amazing what you can do with your own samples :eek: Now I need to convert all my drumsets to ultrabeat, but I think it is worth the trouble. Today I will explore sculpture, which has, again, a rather poor librairy.

Trace; I've been on the steinberg side of things and sx is indeed a very good program. For mixing I find it even more conveniant than logic. For composing and producing however, nothing beats logic for me. Next to that; somehow my way of working (or my near presence) will crash _every_ program on every computer. Don't tell me protools is stable; it'll crash as soon as I'm standing next to it. Same goes for cubase or logic; nothing is save :| But, on all systems I find a way of working stable, it's all about knowing the program and adjusting your workflow.

peace between all platforms
Budy

Trace

That's funny cuz i've had the complete opposite situation. I've never had any problems with any Sequencing software or hardware of any kind in all my years. I've been very fortunate. I really am surprised that you are having difficulties. Generally the gear you have works very well together.

In your research have you found this to be a known Bug or is your situation somewhat unique? Sometimes its actually the Ram that is the source of the problems, even tho it manifests itself in other areas.

Have you made sure to check if the RME drivers are the latest?

Trace

That's funny cuz i've had the complete opposite situation. I've never had any problems with any Sequencing software or hardware of any kind in all my years. I've been very fortunate. I really am surprised that you are having difficulties. Generally the gear you have works very well together.

In your research have you found this to be a known Bug or is your situation somewhat unique? Sometimes its actually the Ram that is the source of the problems, even tho it manifests itself in other areas.

I haven't moved beyond OSX Panther as I said my system is working solidly and I tend not to mess with that, unless its absolutely necessary. Some people upgrade all the time, but I don't believe in that. Once you get your system working perfectly, be very careful what you change and keep a backup of the currently working system.

Ashermusic

There is not a week that goes by that I do not get a call or receive an email that says, \"I am switching from Sequencer A to Sequencer B for greater stability.\" From Logic to Cubase to DP to Sonar different users have very different experiences based on the vagueries of their system.

For me, Logic Pro 7.1.1 is extremely stable. I do not remember the last time it crashed here.

boody

Established Member
the way I work might be a bit demanding on systems. I tend to work very fast, use a lot of different angles to tackle a problem, always squeeze more out of a system than what's supposed to be in it and I have a talent for picking a function that will crash a system within the first 10 minutes. Any system :roll: But; I always adjust quickly, and with the help of forums like these and some common sense there's always a solution. I learned a long time ago: there is no flawless system. If a system doesn't have problems it's the right system for the way it's owner works. That's why discussions about stable systems that are not so stable for others are quite pointless to me; if something goes wrong all I care about is a solution.

And yes; the memory in my G5 might have a flaw. I had a weird crash yesterday that I have seen a lot in the first few days I powered the Mac up. A multilingual message saying I should restart the Mac by holding the powerbutton pressed a couple of seconds. Apple support told me to loop the memory test overnight for some days to see if it finds a flawed sector, but since it is a random check it might take some time before it gets exposed... we'll see.

regards
Budy

boody

Established Member
Trace said:

Some people upgrade all the time, but I don't believe in that. Once you get your system working perfectly, be very careful what you change and keep a backup of the currently working system.

1- some Tritonedigital/pluggo related crashes are known, other crashes are unpredictable. I had very few crashes during the last few tests, mostly with other programs and believe logic itself is quite stable now.

2- all drivers are triplle checked

3- you are a wise man 8) I however had no choice than to dive into the dark this time...

Trace

Oh yeah that's another thing to watchout for strange plug ins that we fall in love with, but that are a constant source of instability. Back in the old days I use to mess around with all kinds of plug ins and had tons of them in my setup. Now I have VERY few plugs and only those that run stable and that I use regularly. I'm VERY conservative as you can see. But I'll tell you that its a joy to have my systems over the years just work and not let me down in front of a customer.

I stick with very conservative types of Ram too. Sometimes those expensive exotic highspeed Ram cause problems. I'm using Kingston KVR400, its a quality, safe and reliable brand.

I use Seagate HD's. Not the fastest, but quiet and reliable. I've only had one die on me over the years and I sent it to them and they replaced it with no problem.

I read everything I can find on updates before loading them. Even then I still wait and think about whether its necessary.
This approach has helped me over the years. I sold my old 8600, but still have my 1st gen G4.

UAD Bundle Month