• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

Sonar 6.2 User - Promo - Which Plugs

cellarboy

I have 1 UAD-1 card (Mackie version) and would appreciate your recommendations on which plugs you would get.

I already have the Dreamverb, LA2A and 1176LN. Probably staying away from the Neve plugs because I only have one card.

Was thinking Pultec Pro for sure because of price (or should I go with Cambridge), Fairchild and maybe Plate 140.

Do I need the Fairchild since I have the LA2A and 1176 and VC 64 in Sonar 6.2? I realize it's a different sound, but?

Ideally want to keep the price in the $200 range. I use my system for songwriting and styles include rock/alt, blues, country and classical.

Thanks in advance for your help!

wishingwell

My favorites are the ones you want to stay away from, the Neves. I think the Neves are the best. I only have one card myself but why stress over minor details :lol: .

ranchdip

plate 140

Middleman

Pultec for the stereo buss is nice.

The plate 140 is a solid player for verb.

The Neves? Their problem is they sound so good you will want to put them on everything.

Frankly, I would go with the Precision Limiter. Best limiter in software in my opinion.

cellarboy

Thanks for the suggestions. Went with the Pultec Pro right away - It was a no-brainer for the price and I really like the sound of it.

Now one more - Decisions, decisions.

diamondjim

I just finished up an acoustic CD project where I went back over the mixes in Sonar after I got the UAD-1 and touched them up, then remastered all of them in Wavelab.

I got the Neve 1081 and use it sparingly in Sonar 6.2 on a few tracks. Mostly I use it for mastering in Wavelab 6 along with the PEQ and PLIM. It really does something nice to the sound of mix as a final touch, again used \"sparingly\". I barely need to bump up the input gain on most of my acoustic mixes. I use this in place of a buss compressor for mixes that are already close to the level I want.

I use the Fairchild as my mastering compressor, when the I need a little more overall boost than the Neve EQ can give me alone. It has a nice subtle warmth and presence. I found the LA2A a little too heavy handed for this purpose, but that is probably just my inexperience, as I am slowly learning how to use these great plugs...The only drawback so far to the Fairchild is its UI, kind of hard to figure out at first. I am still studying the manual on this one. More presets would be nice!

cellarboy

Thanks for that, DJ. I can see the value in using the Neve and other heavy CPU plugs for mastering, definitely. Especially when I only have one card - so far.

Mastering songs is a long way off at this point so I'm still contemplating. At this point it's either Fairchild or Plate 140 given my budget.

Anyone else?

Nightowl

Cellarboy, the Pultec is a great choice indeed.

I really like the Fairchild, too. Its great on bass, or on a drum buss, or vox too ... and it just sounds damn good ... has a character all its own.

If you are in need of a really good limiter, I'd use this opportunity for the PLimiter ... best in the biz IMO.

UAD Bundle Month