• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

Sound City Studios - Official Q&A with Will Shanks!

Matt Hepworth

Master of the UADiverse
Forum Admin
Will Shanks is here with us for a Q&A event about the superb new Sound City Studios!

We got kind of a strange head start on this one, but keep the questions coming!

About the plugin:

Universal Audio is proud to introduce UAD Sound City Studios – the first plug-in emulation of one of the most famous recording studios in music history.

Located in Van Nuys, California, Sound City Studios served as the birthplace for more than 100 gold and platinum records since its opening in 1969, including classic records from Nirvana, Metallica, Fleetwood Mac, Tom Petty, Rage Against the Machine, and more.*

UA's most complete studio emulation to date, the UAD Sound City Studios plug‑in delivers every aspect of this famous creative space, including its room, mics, analog gear and legendary mixing console. Using the plug‑in, music makers can now record and mix their music in the legendary home of countless hits.

“Rock music is alive and well,” says Bill Putnam Jr., CEO of Universal Audio. “Sound City is a studio that was crucial to so many records that we all love, and we're thrilled to open its doors to music creators around the world."

“Sound City has always been a place that nurtures talent, helping artists to find their voice,” says Sandy Skeeter, President of Sound City Inc.. “Thanks to UA, a new generation of artists can put their music through our historic Studio A live room and carry out the same sonic techniques secretly used by their favorite rock heroes over the decades.”

Available only from Universal Audio, UAD Sound City Studios lets music creators add the vibe and character of this legendary space to their drums, guitars, vocals, synths and more.

UAD Sound City Studios allows you to quickly dial in sounds by choosing your source, and selecting from presets based on time‑honed room and mic combinations. Using Dynamic Room Modeling technology, move classic condenser and ribbon mics, in realtime, for authenticity far beyond static IR‑based room modeling plug‑ins.

UAD Sound City Studios Key Features:

• Place your drums, guitars, vocals, and more inside Sound City's famous Studio A
  • Transform your sources with a collection of vintage, hit-making mics
  • Sculpt perfect guitar tones with expertly placed cabinet and mic setups
  • Get the authentic tone of an iconic '70s custom British console, including 3‑band EQ and inline compression, based on the legendary Sound City desk
  • Smash your tracks with Sound City's collection of analog outboard gear including "secret weapon" Dolby A‑style effects, 1176 limiting, and more
  • Put your sources in Sound City's lush‑sounding reverb chamber
  • Available for music creators – no UA hardware required

Last edited:

Deif

Venerated Member
One of the Dolby Noise Reduction systems? Is there a hint of some kind of Dolby trick? ;)
Seems like it. One the options in dynamic section of the plugin is "Encode"

Sam Guaiana

It uses our dynamic room modeling tech which combines lots of techniques, including IRs.

We'll be doing a full thread with Will Shanks next week when it launches, be sure to tee up questions then.
Hell yeah. I don’t really have a lot of questions, I’m just on this “find the perfect room verb” quest. It’s the last thing I’m missing

SaffeyRoad

This seems a swiss army knife: eq, comp, dolby, saturator and reverb. I can turn off my satellite with neve 1084, ocean way and ampex.
I'm curious to compare it with ocean room

Eric Dahlberg

Purveyor of musical dreams fullfilled.
Excellent that UA gave it OWS's feature set. Worth it for that alone. Capitol Chambers and Hitsville are great but OWS is the GOAT.

Mengelking

Established Member
I know we’ll have a Q&A with Will or someone about the plugin… but since we’re waiting… do we know if the hardware was modeled at the same level as other UA plugins? (Part for part, non-linearities, etc.) or is just the “general vibe” captured?

can you use the Dolby type A without the room sims ? just the unit ?

Curious
Would love UA type a trick without needing to "remic " or use room feature

hotspot

Venerated Member
Love it so far!
A very good addition to OWS, it could even be that I favour SCS a little. But I'll have to run a few vocals over it first.
Everything seems a bit denser to me, cool for rock of all kinds.
You've done a great job with the interface, everything in its place, nice to look at and easy to use. I'm still discovering it at the moment.
I haven't yet found out exactly what the room icon does as opposed to muting all the individual mics. Could it be that the original signal then only goes through the console dry?

Switchable pattern per mic (without mic replacing like in OWS) very nice!

Last edited:

mdotgreg

Love it so far!
A very good addition to OWS, it could even be that I favour SCS a little. But I'll have to run a few vocals over it first.
Everything seems a bit denser to me, cool for rock of all kinds.
You've done a great job with the interface, everything in its place, nice to look at and easy to use. I'm still discovering it at the moment.
I haven't yet found out exactly what the room icon does as opposed to muting all the individual mics. Could it be that the original signal then only goes through the console dry?

Switchable pattern per mic (without mic replacing like in OWS) very nice!
I got it. It has ruined me....I want to redo everything...OMG.

SameOh

Got it.

It's good. As a room reverb, on drums, it kind of won against my usual suspect. It can do the natural sounding studio room for sure. The bult in EQ and Compressor was fine I guess. I don't see why I can't open a Pultec and a 1176 after it and have the same thing or even better.

Then I tried it as a cab simulator. In place of a simple IR. The concept is great. But it needs A LOT more options to be really useful.

I still have to try with acoustic instruments and vocals.

mdotgreg

Got it.

It's good. As a room reverb, on drums, it kind of won against my usual suspect. It can do the natural sounding studio room for sure. The bult in EQ and Compressor was fine I guess. I don't see why I can't open a Pultec and a 1176 after it and have the same thing or even better.

Then I tried it as a cab simulator. In place of a simple IR. The concept is great. But it needs A LOT more options to be really useful.

I still have to try with acoustic instruments and vocals.
I am freaking out, because for the first time (for me at least) my acoustic guitars sound like they are in the studio...just finished "Midnight Rider" amazing...

Steven A

SCS is wonderful, it's exactly what I hoped for sonically.
Brilliant plugin, kinda speechless at all the sonic possibilities, and it's only been 45 min.
Congrats !!

hotspot

Venerated Member
It’s first impressions for me too.
I‘ll need to spend time with it. Drum sound is fine, so it is in OWS.
I’m more after guitars, keys, vocals and acoustic stuff in SCS, so there is a lot of try’s the next weeks.
I also need a few more applications for the Remic mode. So far I've only had things that have been well recorded..
Reverb mode is my fav so far.

Gary D

Having spent the last hour remixing something I was working on over the last couple of days ,with a combo of remic and verb, depending on the source, this is fantastic. A very different vibe to OWS ( which I love ) with huge possibilities. I can't wait to get working on something new later in the week with SCS built into the overall plan.

Last edited:
UAD Bundle Month