• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

SSL 4000E Channel Strip

Really debating whether to buy it in the hopes that it'll become native. Potentially in the same agreement with the Neve 1073 where DSP owners and Spark subscribers get it but you can't buy a native license if you don't own UAD hardware.
Price seems too good to pass up! But then again, the under $50 dollar plugins either seem to be current spark plugins or some of the less popular plugins, older ones, or 3rd party ones.
The DSP plugins still above $99 make me think those are more in line to be native ports.... just a theory. Although all the Neve stuff is above $149 makes me think there’s still licensing issues with those and may not be purchasable as native counterparts if you don’t own hardware

Last edited:

Quint

Venerated Member
Really debating whether to buy it in the hopes that it'll become native. Potentially in the same agreement with the Neve 1073 where DSP owners and Spark subscribers get it but you can't buy a native license if you don't own UAD hardware.
Price seems too good to pass up! But then again, the under $50 dollar plugins either seem to be current spark plugins or some of the less popular plugins, older ones, or 3rd party ones.
The DSP plugins still above $99 make me think those are more in line to be native ports.... just a theory
I wouldn't hold my breath on UA porting the SSL to native. If you want the DSP version, buy it if you have use for it, but don't be surprised when it doesn't ever port over to native.

The writing seems to be on the wall with some of these plugins licensed by companies like SSL and Neve. At this point, it's starting to seem apparent that, if UA coulda, they already woulda.

If you want a native SSL plugin NOW (or ever), buy it directly from SSL NOW. As Drew often likes to say, when people inquire about when a new product is going to be released, "buy what you need now, not in anticipation of what you hope will be released one day". If the native plugins is really what you're into this for, I'd buy the native SSL now, directly from SSL, and be done with it. Otherwise you might be waiting a long time.

Last edited:

UniversalAudio

Official UA Representative
The DSP plugins still above $99 make me think those are more in line to be native ports.... just a theory. Although all the Neve stuff is above $149 makes me think there’s still licensing issues with those and may not be purchasable as native counterparts if you don’t own hardware
I would not conflate the 1073 issue with SSL. IMO, it's the best SSL emu and I'd buy it.

BeingHumans

The SSL4000E is a fantastic plugin and since you can now freeze tracks in Luna, I don’t mind that it’s not native.

When the old standby pre’s won’t get the sound I’m looking for, the SSL (or the Manley) seems to always have what I need.

CraigF

I've been wondering about the SSL strip as I have a $25 voucher burning a hole in my virtual pocket. But I have the Brainworx version which I rarely use, and the Waves version which I never use.

The only strip I use a lot is UAD's API...I'm not sure whether that's an incentive to get the SPL because it's also UAD, or a reason not to (because it's not API!).

Decisions decisions...

klasaine

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe a good reason not to be so hot to sell those Satellites.
Just a thought.

taliosanchez

Well sometimes what I say has clues, sometimes not...... and then there's the time horizon. To some people, 3 months is a LONG time, to others that's nothing. So there is a TON of variability in all of this.
Sure, the new SSL 4kE needs a few months for sales and subscriptions to be meaningful enough. Then "hopefully" the magic might happen.

cihanbaris

Hi Drew,

Here is a question somewhat on the subject. After the 4 new ports in November, what will the scheduling be going forward? Are we back to the 4 to 6 weeks thing, or will things speed up, slow down? Any info you can share with us? Thanks.

UniversalAudio

Official UA Representative
Hi Drew,

Here is a question somewhat on the subject. After the 4 new ports in November, what will the scheduling be going forward? Are we back to the 4 to 6 weeks thing, or will things speed up, slow down? Any info you can share with us? Thanks.
Dec is always all about the sales.

As for after that, there are no specifics to share at this time other than to say that 2024 will be a mix of ports and new, but no time tables to share.

UAD Bundle Month