That's it, i'm out

dusty

I've just bought a new mac octocore which have only pcie slots..Obviously i can't use my 3 pci UAD anymore. I've got only 2 free slots left and I feel stupid spending a 1000$ for THE SAME UNDERPOWERED CARD!!!!!! i was hoping that Ua was going to announce a new card @ the musicmesse, but as far as i can tell ain't gonna happen. AGAIN!!!! :evil: :cry:

Damn you UA, you make the finest sounding plug ins on the market, but you platform it's soooo M**** F**** OLD!!!!!!!! And yet you raise the pcie version by 100 bucks. Wise move!!!!!

Anyway i'm out! This is becoming ridicolous.. I'm selling everything: 3 uad pci and all the plug ins, minus DREAM VERB,RE 201,CE 1, PBC, PM AND SPL TD.

Pm me your offer(serious offer only please).

Fairlight

Venerated Member
WOW. You've really wound yourself up over nothing, haven't you :?

Didn't you check the specification of your new purchase before taking the plunge? Seems a bit silly you're blaming UA for your lack of homework.

Plus, you'll find it's not as grim as you calculated, if you take into consideration the \"cross grade offer\" AND the fact you can sell your PCI cards on for a tidy sum (not many people are aware of this). So:

You Sell - 3x (2nd hand) PCI UAD-1 @ £200 each = £600
You Buy - 2x (New) PCI-e UAD-1 @ £300 = £600 (to fill the 2x available slots)

= £0

Sorted!!!

Then, you get:

2x Cross Grade = $300 for each of the new 2x PCI-e cards

AND

2x $150 Vouchers for buying a Express Pak = $300

Total = $600

I don't see why you're getting so heated over something that hasn't even been released (i.e. UAD-2)... never mind announced. It seems you've spat your dummy out over pure speculation and, quite frankly, I think you've over reacted.

Don't take what I say personally, I know how easy it is to get wound up over something, but when you step back and reflect, it isn't as bad as your mind was telling you.

Don't sell, you'll only buy again later... USE what you have now (assuming you sort out the PCI-e scenario) and enjoy making music.

Peace!

Peter

taylor

crossgrading my PCIx to PCIe cards was the best thing i did for my UAD system, it cost me about $600 at the end of the day and i ended up with $1300 in vouchers!

i've got \"Free\" plug ins coming for the rest of the year (and beyond)!

dusty

i knew that the new MP comes with pcie only..I'm not blaming ua for this.. I'm blaming ua for NOT releasing a new platform after all this time! Can you immagine, i was complaning about the lack of processing power with 3 cards(i work at 88.2). Working with 2.. Even worse!! I don't want vouchers to buy awesome plugs that i can't even use. I wish they give some promotion toward the purchase of the phisycal cards. I was actually considering a pci-pcie expansion chassis..but damn!! Magma sell 'em for over 1200$ :cry:
I don't know any other company that offer a cheaper(and stable) alternative

I'm lost..

Fairlight

Venerated Member
I hope you get sorted mate... Use UA for only the important tracks and maybe try other, native plugins, for general use. It's a shame to throw those lovely plugins away when you know they're hard to replce ;)

P

So it's just yet another of those posts... why didn't you just write it in the title? \"More UAD-2 whining\"

mambolujon

Shedua 511 said:
So it's just yet another of those posts... why didn't you just write it in the title? "More UAD-2 whining"
He has a right to express his discontent, just as you have a right to your sarcastic and non-productive opinion.

I am debating selling off my cards too. on the fence.
Good luck with your choice.

lux

When I upgrade my Dual PPC Im more and more considering dropping the UAD cards.the UADs worked better in my G4 than they have ever done on my G5.Its such a shame UA has not come up with a new card.

h4nc0

I feel your pain. I will also give up on UAD when there's no new announcement when I'm upgrading my PC in few months.

Nightowl

lux said:
When I upgrade my Dual PPC Im more and more considering dropping the UAD cards.the UADs worked better in my G4 than they have ever done on my G5.Its such a shame UA has not come up with a new card.
Actually I am not surprised the UADs had issues in the G5's. Reason is that the G5's used AMD chipsets, essentially the AMD 8000 PCI-X tunnel which was notorious in PC boards for causing all kinds of munching and crackling issues a few years back. Just look up any thread about AMD 8000, Tyan K8W, Tyan Thunder, etc. It wsas ugly.

Nowadays the Macs are using Intel chipsets and so I seriously doubt they suffer from the same issues, although you would need to trade in those PCI cards for PCIe if you go with a new MacPro.

I'm not a Mac user but they are COMPLETELY different animals since they switched over to Intel chipsets/ cpus, so I wouldnt let your past experience with your G5 dissuade you from future Mac/ UAD pairings.

Awesom-o

dusty said:
Anyway i'm out! This is becoming ridicolous..
Please close the door quietly on your way out.

O.

Don't say the guy isn't right. Cause on some level he might just be.
Myself, I got a new Macpro, coming from a G5.
I did not get new uad-1 cards.
Yes, I miss certain plugins certain moments. Yes, I drool over the newer ones, Like the SPL and the DBX.
No, I've never felt I couldn't do my job without the Neves I bought, the 1176, the Cambridge or the LA2.
Yes, they would certainly be my first weapons of choice if I still had access to them and yes, they certainly sound better (whatever the reason for that might be or whatever it means at all, I just think they do) than the Nomad factory ASP, the sonalksis's and the URS's I now use to replace the UA plugins, but like I said, I can still get the job done perfectly alright.

I'll be the first one to get my hands on whatever replacement for the UAD-1 Universal Audio will come up with, IF EVER, but untill that day UA is simply no-go territory. Buying a new UAD-1 that runs 1 or 2 plugins in this day and age might proove to be the silliest investment ever.
Hopefuly sooner than later....

dusty

lux said:
Of course! The G4 and UAD-1 belong to the same era..

lux

dusty said:
lux said:
Of course! The G4 and UAD-1 belong to the same era..

Im glad some one understood what I was getting at.

Fairlight

Venerated Member
This 'underpowered' and 'old technology' war is getting extremely boring. Isn't it amazing how the plugins I'm using, on SUCH OLD TECHNOLOGY sound soooooooooo much better than the competition.

Who gives a f**K what is under the hood, the simple fact is the tools we get to play with are fantastic and very useable. And, for ONE LAST TIME, UAD-2 will be out when it's GOOD AND READY and not before.

P

RWIL

Established Member
:-({|=

We need a sub-forum asap!

rw

dusty

Fairlight said:
This 'underpowered' and 'old technology' war is getting extremely boring. Isn't it amazing how the plugins I'm using, on SUCH OLD TECHNOLOGY sound soooooooooo much better than the competition.

Who gives a f**K what is under the hood, the simple fact is the tools we get to play with are fantastic and very useable. And, for ONE LAST TIME, UAD-2 will be out when it's GOOD AND READY and not before.

P
c'mon man, you know the card it's just a dongle.. A very good one indeed(since nobody figured out yet a way to crack their plug ins). Personally i never believed the load OF crap UA is been saying about that this old junk can outperform a cutting edge 64bit multicore in wathever calculation. I think you get me all wrong here buddy. I'm not debating about the quality of their plug in.. If their plugs were not so f****g good we wouldn't even have this conversation. All i'm trying to say that UA is loosing many good customers because of this PASSIVE attitude.. I know they bought a shit load of the mpact2 and they've got to sell 'em all.. but there is a limit. Guess what i well past mine! I just move on.. I've got few hw nice comps and eqs, duende, sony oxford and waves.. I'll miss their plugs and talking about them with you guys :(

billybk1

Shareholder
dusty said:
c'mon man, you know the card it's just a dongle.
Hmmm......I wish all dongles were as useful then. I did a mix with (36) UAD-1 plugins and the total FX native CPU usage was barely over 4% (about 0.11% average per plugin). Not even really worth mentioning. I then replaced all the UAD-1 plugins on each track/bus with equivalant WAVES plugins (SSL, Renaisance, etc) and the native FX CPU usage was over 30%. I guess some dongles are actually better than others.

UAD Bundle Month