• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

this is gonna rock the boat. - THANK GOD.

greno

Wow - what a great idea. I just bought a pretty decent NVidia based video card, but really just to set up my dual monitors.

Why not take advantage of the extra processing power on the graphics card that I'm not using for gaming? Sounds like a great mass produced, cheap DSP solution. Can't wait to see if anyone builds some plugins for it.

RWIL

Established Member
Beautifull idea..., at least on paper!
Who knows if UA is not already aware...

RW

neil wilkes

Venerated Member
*Yawn*
I seem to remember previous excitement about the unused GPU cycles going to DSP usage, and nothing ever came of that either.

Mixing Audio & Video in the same GPU sounds, well, risky.

RWIL

Established Member
neil wilkes said:
Well at first, reading the paper, I was more thinking somewhere about using a dedicated video card for audio only (like UAD-1) in such case, and having not to share with the video purpose. The drivers layer (including CUDA)should do the trick to exchange the appropriated data between the app. (plugs) & the card's GPU.

RW

Akis

Sadly, left this world before his time.
neil wilkes said:
*Yawn*
I seem to remember previous excitement about the unused GPU cycles going to DSP usage, and nothing ever came of that either.

Have you tried the GPU Delay and Chorus plug-ins by Nils Schneider? They work fine on my system and on many others'.

guitarz

Akis said:
Have you tried the GPU Delay and Chorus plug-ins by Nils Schneider? They work fine on my system and on many others'.
I'm on a mac so I can't try them myself. Is there anything special to these plugs or are they just a "proof-of-concept" thing.

I read over at KVR that his goal is to do convolution reverb, but on my "aging" Dual G5, Altiverb hardly uses much CPU at all. Perhaps BionicFX saw the writing on the wall that the advancement of modern-day CPUs will almost negate the need for DSP cards amung most users.

Akis

guitarz said:
Akis said:
I'm on a mac so I can't try them myself. Is there anything special to these plugs or are they just a "proof-of-concept" thing.
Just 'proof-of-concept'.

daverich

well Nvidia are adding 64bit float support later in the year.

Aleksey from voxengo reckons we'd be looking at around 50x more plugin power than a CPU alone.

Interesting times....

Kind regards

Dave Rich

Dan Duskin

Established Member
I think UA should put this technology into a new card, or external unit.

Sharing audio and graphics on the same dsp makes me very very VERY uncomfortable! i.e., I've been using multiple processors, super fast graphics cards, motherboards with multiple pci-bridges, and audio dsp for years, so things don't compete with each other so much (which results in smoother performance over-all)... and it scares me to step away from that... at least not for many more years.

jcschild

LOL.

old news UADs are video chips used for DSP (cant imagine the number of LA2A's i could run on 1 card if UA ever changed the 10 yrs old GPU they use to a new one.) (i think its one of the old Monster 3d chips)

however, since most of us have far more powerful video cards in our daws than we will ever use for Audio it would be nice to see an \"option\"
in our native effects for Use CPU effect or use GPU effect.

this is something Video editing software has been doing the last 2 yrs.

Scott
ADK

Mark Edmonds

jcschild said:
however, since most of us have far more powerful video cards in our daws than we will ever use for Audio it would be nice to see an "option"
in our native effects for Use CPU effect or use GPU effect.
Then along comes Vista which I imagine quickly bloats out any capacity with yet more redundant window dressing effects, pointless eye-candy and other gizmos that further remove whatever is left in the consumer market of the two computing principles speed and simplicity.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Mark

Stuart Stuart

Here's a point of view. And I say this with a dear love of UA in my heart. Those guys have given me a mix quality that I could have only dreamed of three years ago.

Maybe UA isn't in a huge rush to increase the processing power of the card. I mean, the plugins are so great that buying extra cards becomes more of necessity than an option. I've got 3 now, and if I can get rid of my poco PCI, I'll probably get a 4th.

Reality is, I don't need the power of three cards, and with four, I'd be able to have a LN1176, a cambridge on everything important, plus a whole bunch more.

The point is, with 4 cards, there wouldn't be many users that need more power than that. So if one UAD2 card could do what 4 UAD1's can do, there wouldn't be many people buying 4 cards, would there?

And remember, UA is probably unlikely to release a 4x more powerful card at 4x the price. It just wouldn't be competitive.

And the current product, as far as I know, is selling like hotcakes, even with an old old processor on board. And it's set up in the perfect way to get us to buy more cards - you get enough power to get hooked, but immediately salivate for more.

Until someone, maybe Waves, releases a PCI or PCIe card with 4x times the power of a UAD at an equivalent price, and bundles a bunch of greta plugins with it, UA has it all to themselves.

The new Liquid Mix and Duende boxes are pretty tasty alternatives, but I don't think any of us would ever trade our UAD cards for one of those.

Likewise, UA could easily release native versions of the plugins, but why would they? So that every warez hog can have them?

Bottom line - the system works, it's selling great, why hurry up and mess with it.

G

Dan Duskin said:
I think UA should put this technology into a new card, or external unit.

Sharing audio and graphics on the same dsp makes me very very VERY uncomfortable! i.e., I've been using multiple processors, super fast graphics cards, motherboards with multiple pci-bridges, and audio dsp for years, so things don't compete with each other so much (which results in smoother performance over-all)... and it scares me to step away from that... at least not for many more years.
Same here. I'm all for external boxes.

Akis

Stuart Stuart said:
The point is, with 4 cards, there wouldn't be many users that need more power than that. So if one UAD2 card could do what 4 UAD1's can do, there wouldn't be many people buying 4 cards, would there?
There's already people asking to raise the 4 card limit - especially people working @ 88.2/96K.

Mark Edmonds

Plus quite a few plugins that need lots of juice even at 44KHz so it isn't just high sample rates that gobble power.

Mark

Stuart Stuart

I guess I use 44 only, and I've avoided the Neve plugs for the very reason that they take too much DSP. The Cambridge sounds great to me.

chrisc

more power please

I have to seriously disagee with that last point. I have 3 cards and I still spend hours and hours freezing and unfreezing so I can use the Neve stuff. I use the eqs on everything and there is no turning back. I need at least 8 cards right now, and I expect I will need twice that within the year. the least they can do is get more than 4 cards to run at once, but heyu should do better. It is ridiculous for them to give us these high powere plugs and leave us with these low power cards.

UAD Bundle Month