• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

Those who bought the Pre Mulit Band, what are your thougts?

Revelation

Now that you have had it for a couple of weeks, what do you think of the mulitband and how does it compare to the other mulitbands you have?

TheEastGateMS

i purchased this plug for mastering although i am anti-multibands. if a mix truly needs a multiband to sound good, it needs to be remixed. sometimes that is not possible. therefore, this product can come in handy at times. i would never use this plug with more than 50% mix, even on the worst tracks. as far as this MB compared to others... it is quite pleasing. easily worth double the money. it just shouldn't be needed. kinda like cops. worth the money, it just would be nice if they weren't needed.

Eric Dahlberg

Purveyor of musical dreams fullfilled.
TheEastGateMS said:
kinda like cops. worth the money, it just would be nice if they weren't needed.
Do multibands work on commission???

You gotta love these new campaigns the cops are doing, pledging to write more traffic citations in order to cover the overtime they're due. Of course, in order to write more tickets, they have to work more hours. Talk about wagging the dog!

baronluigi

I love the warm sound the multi gives. It is very delicate and very different than waves multi.

The only way I can describe it is that the multi has a fairchild like warmth hitting different freqencies differently. I kinda gravitate to the \"big smile\" preset and go from there. Don't really know how to use a multi band so I tend to use it very delicately.

On the stereo buss Fairchild>PEQ>LA-2A>PMulti>PLim

all used sparingly of course.

Suntower

Established Member
Unlike most here, I bought it to even out individual tracks. And for popping bass and guitar it's GRRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT.

Especially rhythm guitar. For me, it can be difficult to get several guitar parts to sit properly and not turn into mush---so you can hear each clearly. PMB makes it easy peasy.

That said, it is too dangerous for li'l ol' me to try mastering with yet. I have seriously fucked up several mixes with it so far---having been seduced by the huge changes it can make to the bottom and top. I can't seem to get it to be -subtle-. Even small changes seem to make things not a -little- fatter or brighter, but inevitably end up being hip-hop bass and highs that break windows.

I gotta really -study- the video tutorial in the WebZine.

But, I can hear the potential. I just gotta learn what I'm doing!

---JC

Paul Woodlock

Established Member
Suntower said:
Unlike most here, I bought it to even out individual tracks. And for popping bass and guitar it's GRRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT.
So did I :)

Shame it can't have options for 1,2,3 and 4 bands to DSP ;)

mm-pro

I have been using it as a multiband gate to clean up location audio. It is pretty handy to have around for multiple fixes.

Regards,

MM

Suntower

Established Member
Paul Woodlock said:
Shame it can't have options for 1,2,3 and 4 bands to DSP ;)
EXACTLY!

I wish it was more like a parametric EQ in that you could simply turn 'off' bands you don't need and then have the ones that are 'on' have a wider range. Most of the time, I only need a couple of bands.

---JC

S4410

I think it is as good as the rest of the precision series:
high quality at a good price especially if you own the other 2 plugins too.

Dan Duskin

Established Member
It's pretty damn good!

I'll compare it to 2 other well known multi-bands...

BASS GUITAR:
WAVES C4: Excellent!
TC X3/X5: Pretty Good
UAD-1 PMB: Excellent!

VOCALS:
WAVES C4: Excellent!
TC X3/X5: Pretty Good
UAD-1 PMB: Excellent!

DRUM GROUP:
WAVES C4: Good
TC X3/X5: Very Good!
UAD-1 PMB: Good

MASTER/MIX-BUSS:
WAVES C4: Transparent and very flexable
TC X3/X5: Limited, but good
UAD-1 PMB: Transparent and ULTRA flexable

but this is just from some quick tests...

by design, it's apparently obvious to me that the PMB is way better suited for instruments or groups than the X3/X5 (even for drums, I just needed to tweak a little more).

however, it's still in the ballpark of the MD3 (for multiband) regarding mastering needs, not better, not worse, just slightly different (and virtually the same, as far as quality). but the MD3 comes with the brickwall limiter which is far better than ua's PL.

Ericcc

The PMB rocks imho...I like it on groups a lot..getting the bass region right...make the highs breathe...excellent and very flexible...

The sound is also awesome and I like it better then the LinMB or Poco X3 which I was using before...more transparency.. better sounding

The mix function is brilliant and if you want to use it as a single multiband no problem as well..just use one wide band ;)

HIGHLY recommended..

Paul Woodlock

Established Member
Ericcc said:
The PMB rocks imho...I like it on groups a lot..getting the bass region right...make the highs breathe...excellent and very flexible...

The sound is also awesome and I like it better then the LinMB or Poco X3 which I was using before...more transparency.. better sounding

The mix function is brilliant and if you want to use it as a single multiband no problem as well..just use one wide band ;)

HIGHLY recommended..
Sadly you can't do that.

Ericcc

Paul Woodlock said:
Ericcc said:

HIGHLY recommended..
Sadly you can't do that.
well....almost then...75 Hz to 13.5 khz is pretty wide ;)

saemskin

Established Member
Seconded that the PMB beats the pants off the Poco X5.
Much better control over the parameters, and the X5 always seemed to make everything way too damn loud and gritty sounding.

KAyo

Did I read; its nearly as good as the MD3??
I disagree!! Because it ain't.

Saying that, it is a fine piece of Multiband, but it ain't as smooth or lush as the MD3. Not even close.

Although, the MD3 and MBP are slightly different as ergonomics of multibanding are concerned. I for one, like the MBP for the amount of bands available to the user, and the colour cordination helps too, and it also feels like an analogue piece of gear in sound. An inclusion of a single band mode would have helped too. On the other hand, the MD3 ergonomics a little bit fidgety and not enough comprehensive metering etc.. Etc.. But the sound!!! A digital limousine. A samurai of plug-ins.

Just opinions, not commandments.

Regards,
KAyo

Trebor Flow 2

Established Member
I second the MD3 thing. I have the demo installed on my PoCo and every time I pull it up that Brickwall Limiter just blows me away - it is so transparent and the way it handles transients is in a word stunning, the MD3 is a class bit of programming. Class.

I just can't blow that much greeen at the moment - I musn't .... must feed children.

Trebor

Dan Duskin

Established Member
what i was saying is that i personally put the PMB and the MD3's multiband section (not the eq, not the limiter) in the same ballpark as far as quality goes (and this is just my opinion)... but the MD3 also has THE BEST brickwall limiter on the bloody earth! And the MD3 has an AMAZING EQ to boot! Plus the MD3 has lots of other cool features. But if I needed JUST multi-band (no limiter, no eq, etc) I would grab the PMB first (because of the full 5 bands and options).

UAD Bundle Month