Top UAD Drum Plugs

UniversalAudio

Official UA Representative
What are your favourite UAD plug-ins for drum tracking and mixing?
Tracking:
1084, Helios, or API for tracking. All Unison (no point in hitting record without Unison)

Mixing:
SSL E most of the time for mixing.

MDW EQ for any surgical stuff that might be needed.

Studer on all channels of course.

Culture Vulture on OHs and Rooms. (usually the default setting, but sometimes heated up a hair)

Hitsville Mastering EQ and ATR often on the the drum subgroup.

A few things off the top of my head.

chrisso

Venerated Member
Thanks.
I have tried the Studer, bought it in the sale. I can't find a clean, hi-fi setting on it. I use the ATR on my busses, with a Vince Powell clean, hi-fi pre-set. I come from the tape era, but I don't like super saturated, overdriven sounding drums.
I also have the Culture Vulture, but never use it for the same reason. A lot of my mics are vintage and I use vintage outboard to track, so I think I'm getting enough colour on the way in?
I currently use Neve 1073 and Api Vision (console) for EQ, Distressor or Api 2500 on room mics.
Thanks for the tips. (y)

Matt Hepworth

Master of the UADiverse
Forum Admin
Tracking:
1084, Helios, or API for tracking. All Unison (no point in hitting record without Unison)

Mixing:
SSL E most of the time for mixing.

MDW EQ for any surgical stuff that might be needed.

Studer on all channels of course.

Culture Vulture on OHs and Rooms. (usually the default setting, but sometimes heated up a hair)

Hitsville Mastering EQ and ATR often on the the drum subgroup.

A few things off the top of my head.
I'm ashamed to say I've never tried the Helios for tracking drums!

Tracking
On faster tracks, I tend to use the API more, and more medium tempo tracks I tend to use more 1073/84, though I will also use UA-610 on overheads and V72 for rooms sometimes for the latter.
Studer

Mixing
SSL E black knob (or 4K).
OWS if it was tracked in a small room
2500 or G Bus on drum bus
I'm trying to make myself use the Fairchild on drum bus here, but usually stick to what I know...

tomtama

Hall of Fame Member
API Vision...oh and how could I forget, Studer on everything!

Last edited:

chrisso

Venerated Member
I've been spoilt with drum tracking on hardware Helios (various vintage) and haven't tried the plug-in.
EMI TG (vintage) is absolutely killer for drums too btw.
So far lots of SSL 4000E recommendations.

rjjuly

Can't forget the Fatso Jr/Sr compressor and tape sim - nothing else sounds like it. It’s one of the O.G. UAD plugins, but still stands up today as well as ever!

- Richard

cbau50

I'm ashamed to say I've never tried the Helios for tracking drums!

Tracking
On faster tracks, I tend to use the API more, and more medium tempo tracks I tend to use more 1073/84, though I will also use UA-610 on overheads and V72 for rooms sometimes for the latter.
Studer

Mixing
SSL E black knob (or 4K).
OWS if it was tracked in a small room
2500 or G Bus on drum bus
I'm trying to make myself use the Fairchild on drum bus here, but usually stick to what I know...
Matt, I’ve come to love the UA Fairchild for Drum sub. I’ve definitely backed the levels down, and raised the hi-pass halfway to keep the kick out of the compression path. I also use Shadow Hills to firm up the Toms sub into drum sub.

Matt Hepworth

Master of the UADiverse
Forum Admin
Can't forget the Fatso Jr/Sr compressor and tape sim - nothing else sounds like it. It’s one of the O.G. UAD plugins, but still stands up today as well as ever!

- Richard
OG mkII, though there was never a mkI. ;)

JayFriesen

SSL E. Fairchild on the main buss or a parallel buss. Depends on my mood. Studer or Oxide on everything, lately, I’ve been fond of Oxide.

Lolo

for mixing overheads, i really like the neve 33609.

chrisso

Venerated Member
I know someone who uses the hardware version on drums every time.
I must say my favourite UAD plug-ins are the 1073, Ampex tape, Distressor and Oceanway (room ambience). Those are the things I use on every drum session. I end up with the 1073 EQ on kick, snare and toms. As I'm sending raw audio to clients I tend not to eq or compress the overheads.

UAD Bundle Month