• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

Troubleshooting help...

Archmart

Hey Hey!

I've been having some trouble since upgrading to PT LE 7, adding a second UAD-1 card, and a Digi 002R...

My setup:
ProTools LE 7.0 with a 002R on a Dual 1.8 G5 (PCI-X) (1.5 GB RAM) running OSX 10.4.3 with 2 UAD-1s and every UAD-1 plug currently available.

My project:
Mastering a 15 track CD in ProTools.
15 stereo tracks with one song on each track. Each track has a Precision EQ and a Precision Limiter inserted, but I keep them all bypassed except when I'm bouncing that particular track. I had already Multi-Band Compressed before the UAD-1 MB came out but I have added the UAD Multi-Band to a couple of tracks. There are also a couple of tracks that I have for reference (other commercial CDs and previous versions of these songs) but these are \"disabled\" because of the limited voices in LE.

The problem:
I'm getting these errors intermittently upon un-bypassing the plugs on the track I'm working on. It does seem that if I un-bypass SLOWLY (one at a time with long pauses) I have better chances of success... but I still can get errors... kind of a crap shoot. Once I get an error I either lose my 002R connection (error 1) or find the plugin not working (although not bypassed) or both. In a couple of cases I bounced and then realized that one of the plugs had not been working. It also sometimes happens when I bypass a plug.

1)
Lost communication with the 002 unit. Please try
increasing \"H/W Buffer Size\" or removing some plug-
ins, and make sure you have a valid clock source.
Press OK to reset device. (-6097)

2)
Powered Plug-Ins Error

Sorry, one or more Powered Plug-Ins have been disabled.

The UAD-1 is not responding.

3)
Powered Plug-Ins Error

Sorry, one or more Powered Plug-Ins have been disabled.

The plugin was unable to load.
CPU load limit exceeded. (err=26)

Additional Troubleshooting I've done:
Wondering if it was a PTLE7.0 and OSX 10.4.3 issue, I created a session with 16 stereo tracks (the max) and put 5 Smack LE plugs on every track. I was able to fill every track with Smack LE plugs all the way up to 90% CPU usage. It seems PTLE7.0 and OSX 10.4.3 are ok with each other.

Then I tried a new session with UAD-1 usage. I made a stereo track with stereo audio on it and started adding 1176LNs. I filled up all five inserts and was fine. I duplicated the stereo track and added (one at a time) 5 more 1176LNs. Then I added one more stereo track and got up to 3 1176LNs on it, for a total of 13 1176LNs. This put me at something like 78% on the UAD CPU meter and at about 30 or 40 percent on the ProTools CPU meter. The next added 1176LN sent the ProTools CPU meter to 100% and caused the errors. Interestingly... If instead of adding 1176LNs one at a time I duplicated the first track WITH 5 plugs, it shot my PT CPU meter up to a full 100% and I got the errors. Also... repeating the test sometimes I only got to 10 or 11 or 12 instances and sometimes if I added too fast I got the errors.

Next... I did a similar test, but I started with 6 stereo tracks and put (one at a time) 2 1176LNs on each track. I got to the same total number of 1176LNs.

Another interesting thing is that I could get up to very close to full PT CPU meter and then save and close and reopen and get as little as 10% PT CPU meter.

So... these tests seem to tell me that my max number of 1176LNs is somewhere near 12, if I'm careful. But what about my mastering session? In that case I only have a max of 3 plugs... Is it that these plugs are just SO much more power hungry? Or is there an issue of bypassed plugs taking up CPU resources? And why does it matter how quickly I add plugs?

Or could it be an issue with the wrapper?

Thanks for any help you can give...

Archmart

Archmart

Hey Hey!

... My apologies for the length of that post...

Archmart

bdangler

Hey Archmart,
I'm inclined to think it's the wrapper. I've had similar issues with a low number of UAD plugs since I upgraded to PT7. (Specifically with the Plate140)
I'm all for buying the new 2.0 wrapper from FXpansion for $49, but I can't find any serial number with the wrapper I have to register the dang thing to get the lower price. I don't want to pay $99!! Can anyone tell me where the serial number would be? ---B

Archmart

Hey Hey!

Thanks so much for replying. I know such a long post begs to be ignored.

I'm in the same boat, I think, on the wrapper. In another thread it was mentioned in the context of receiving an email offer.

I'm pretty sure I registered it when I first got it, but I haven't received any offer and yeh, it'd be just stupid to pay an extra $50 for it...

I did some more troubleshooting last night and wanted to double check my results again tonight, but in any case, I found having ProTools LE set to use dual processors (in the Playback Engine settings) seemed to prove to be a problem. I got better results set for single processor.

What I did was save as my big session and then delete all but one stereo track. With just this one stereo track and set to a single processor, things were pretty stable. Adding more tracks, even without any plugs inserted on them seemed to destabilize the situation. Strange as it may seem...

Thanks,
Archmart

Demetrious

I'm all for buying the new 2.0 wrapper from FXpansion for $49, but I can't find any serial number with the wrapper I have to register the dang thing to get the lower price. I don't want to pay $99!! Can anyone tell me where the serial number would be? ---B
Check in \"my uaudio.com\" page and select download for the VST-RTAS Adapter, on the download page your serial will be there. Ain't UA GREAT! =D> .

I'm still waiting for my serials rerequest for my optional poco plugs, it's been 4 days alraedy :-# . I was thinking about getting the MD3 :? .

Demetrious

Nothing to do with this thread. just wanted to take back the dig :? I did said (or not say) about t.c. above.
I just realised you have to login to \"my stuff\" page at t.c. to recieve your replies from there support team. No email notification. thats it.

UAD Bundle Month