• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

trying to get a fat rock guitar sound

entoine

I know that most of the sound is made by the player, then the guitar and amp, and then miking.

But I wondered if you knows tips of mixing for having guitar sound traitment like those of Velvet Revolver for example (I know, it's one of the best rock guitar player of all times with an incredible sound :D ).

I've experienced things I think \"they\" do like instead of paning the guitar one side, they remove the high frequency on the other side. I've tried It and sound more like what I'm searching.
I have also tried compression but get not satisfied by my results, it must be because I haven't tuned it right as it seems a lot of people do compress guitar tracks.

This is how I miked the guitars : royer R121 and shure SM57 (I've adjusted the phase) in front of one driver of the guitar cab (marshall 4*12 (the head was JCM800)). I've record an other mic of \"ambiance\" but the acoustics was not so good and the sound is not good at all (especially with distorded guitars).

Have anyone of you tips, experience that can improve my understanding of rock guitar sound?

fishtank

Without actually standing in front of your amp I have no idea if the sound coming from it is what is should be to get the results you are looking for. I can only say that more often than not people seem to end up WAY off in their guitar sound versus what they like their favorite recordings. Most play too dirty and suck out way too much midrange to even come close to good tone. Also, as the owner of five Marshall heads from the late 60's to the early 80's, I can tell you that none of them sound good unless they are played loud.

The Royer 121 sounds absolutely fabulous on any of the guitar amps I have. It is a bit dark and thick on the bottom, but very big sounding. I do prefer a Sennheiser 421 mixed with the R121 versus a 57 though. It has a flatter response than a 57 and seems to coexist better for me with the ribbon. I assume you are using a very good preamp with the R121? If not you should either buy a good preamp or pick up an R122 to replace the 121.

Good luck....

bugsstar

there have been some tech interviews in magazines regarding velvet revolver.

Slash uses Marshall gear and just an SM57 in front of it...a little off-axis not much.
if you type in google : velvet revolver josh abraham

Josh (producer) is pretty standard in good old gear.
Neve preamp box, he has an old and small API console, U47, Fet47,

here's also a link but i think it was EQ magazine who also had a nice interview of the sessions at NRG and pulse recording studios.

http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_velvet_r ... index.html

I have the Royer Labs demo cd, featuring music from their ribbon mikes. I find the cabinet sounds to be really nice. The R121 is featured on their cd, and it sounds great.

marQs

Shareholder
We did lots, really lots of experiments through the years aiming for \"the\" fat sound.
The last way to do it was really surprising for me - a single sm57, a marshall 4 x 10 cabinet and a Diezel amp (think it was \"Herbert\"). Sounds crazy great. 8)

pogo

Not exactly what you are going for but, I recall reading an interview in EQ covering techniques used for Evanessence's Fallen. Two amps were used. That would give you the different tone similar to cutting the high end you refered to. Just a thought. I'm not a guitar player, just a sound junkie.

UAD Bundle Month