UA Connect Automatic Update Is Everything Wrong With Software

Hexspa

You said don't hold back so here it is:

Please add a user-definable manual update option to UA Connect asap. As the owner of my computer, I want the exclusive right to allow or deny software to update. This full-screen automatic update prompt is utterly intrusive and not acceptable. It would be like me coming to your house and switching off your monitor while you're working on a project. That is precisely the disturbance that this causes. I would like to sit down and talk directly to the person who decided this was a good idea.

Joe Porto

Hall of Fame Member
While I agree in principle, I don't think this is going to happen, as UA Connect seems to be involved in the authorization process and subscriptions are involved.

Would be nice if UA Connect was out of the picture entirely once the plugins are installed, at least for those who own their licenses, as plugins are fully capable of polling iLok without an additional app.

With that said, a member here, @RogueM offers a free app that gives you control of the download manager of UAConnect, but I think it's just for the plugins, not the app itself.

https://uadforum.com/community/index.php?threads/step-by-step-trashing-uad-prefs.20058/#post-459242

Neotrope

Established Member
Tricky with subscription software as just like the Netflix app updates on your/my Apple TV, the "app" that manages the Spark subscription will update itself to renew lease on licenses and bug fixes, verify subscription key, etc. -- ideally, with a studio PC/Mac; disable internet when working, then come back out of the work cave and get all the Chrome, Safari, macOS, iLok, etc. updates while you enjoy your coffee or scotch (or both). Totally agree with you in principal. Just had to disable the HP Omen desk PC randomly doing a "hardware scan" during my work day with big box on top of my mail software and/or browser that I cannot dismiss "HP Hardware Support Check." Wait, I didn't ASK for a check. Oh, I guess I did when I "agreed" to the service use when the machine updated all the drivers and such last month. Doh.

Hexspa

Thanks for your input, friends. I'm glad to not be alone in wanting control over my machine. While I get that UA Connect is wearing many hats including authorizations and downloads, I still hope to see a more customer-centric approach to updates; maybe in the form of a less intrusive timed (three-hour?) warning a la Windows Update.

Maybe I'll switch over to iLok authorization instead because when I used the Windows app called Internet Off (does what it says), I recall my UADx plugins stopping working while there was no internet connection. Cheers.

RogueM

Venerated Member
With that said, a member here, @RogueM offers a free app that gives you control of the download manager of UAConnect, but I think it's just for the plugins, not the app itself.
UA Disconnect does take the UA Connect manager part out, making it an on demand thing, so it won’t update the plug-ins as well as itself. But it is Mac only.

Hexspa

UA Disconnect does take the UA Connect manager part out, making it an on demand thing, so it won’t update the plug-ins as well as itself. But it is Mac only.
Ah, I see. Uf, I was just going to check it out. Someone recommended renaming the UA Connect app. Does this update issue go away if I use iLok to authorize? Punishing paying users is the worst way to treat customers.

Anyway, I asked the gearspace community what they thought and a working pro chimed in to say UA Connect interrupted a session while a client was present. Oops! https://gearspace.com/board/showthread.php?p=16952103

Come on, UA. This is not the way professional software should operate. Please put customers first.

klasaine

Hall of Fame Member
I would definitely prefer a notification that allows me to choose my update time, and I will send feedback via UAc later today.
Practically, the last UA connect update (maybe 3 days ago?), installed w/in the time it took me to set up a mic. I’m a working pro too and it’s never caused any “session anxiety”.

exoslime

Venerated Member
Someone recommended renaming the UA Connect app. Does this update issue go away if I use iLok to authorize? Punishing paying users is the worst way to treat customers.
thats what i did, i use physical ilok authorisation and have NOT run UA Connect at the background (i renamed the file so it wont start at all, lol), but still, the next time i want to open UAC, i rename it back to its original name, then its most likely it will update by itself.
but at least this does not interrupt my workflow when working on music and i´m also not depending on the availability of online services (Ilok cloud) to run any of these plugins.

Joe Porto

Hall of Fame Member
Question....what happens when there is a UAConnect update that no longer supports your current OS? Last night, I went to open a Live project and UAConnect opened, closed, downloaded the latest version, opened again with the new user agreement. I didn't even have a chance to choose to update.

I'm on Catalina currently on my Mini i7 Ableton machine using UAConnect. When support is eventually dropped for Catalina, what happens?

klasaine

Hall of Fame Member
Question....what happens when there is a UAConnect update that no longer supports your current OS? Last night, I went to open a Live project and UAConnect opened, closed, downloaded the latest version, opened again with the new user agreement. I didn't even have a chance to choose to update.

I'm on Catalina currently on my Mini i7 Ableton machine using UAConnect. When support is eventually dropped for Catalina, what happens?
That’s an excellent question. I still run Catalina as well.
@UniversalAudio

klasaine

Hall of Fame Member

klasaine

Hall of Fame Member

Kampa

Would be nice if UA Connect was out of the picture entirely once the plugins are installed, at least for those who own their licenses, as plugins are fully capable of polling iLok without an additional app.
Totally!

UA connect is the reason that keeps me from purchasing more UA plugins. And I always try to not depend on a specific plugin from UA so that I can open my sessions on any of my machines, even the ones without internet access.

You’ve already got iLok going. I can’t we have 3 to 4 licences available to install in different machines like most other companies do?

I also dislike UA connect auto update and “phoning home” each time I want to try something with UA plugin.

UAD Bundle Month