• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

UA really needs to do this!!

Stacy

Dear UA,
I really love the Neve and Helios Eq's. But what you REALLY need to do is put in an optional drop-down type menu that has a graphic interface much like the Cambridge EQ. I know that everybody is going to say that your ears are the final judge. And as true as that statement is. The visual aid is IMMENSELY helpful when digging around for specific Frequencies and Q settings!!

Jeraz

This may sound like I am trying to be contrary, but that is exactly what I would never, ever want.

I RME's Digicheck, and IXL and Samplitude visualizations to show me spectrum if I need it. There are GlissEQ and CurveEQ and Cambridge and zillions of visual-parametric-type offerengs out there, as well as some astonishing multi-point FFT-types like Har-Bal, Samplitude's FFT...and now in that freeware thing Reaper too...they have their place...and when I am looking for a problem frequency, they can save me time.

But I SO appreciate the UAD not following the crowd on especially the vintage stuff...I really LIKE using my ears with the UAD stuff. :wink:

BTLG

Established Member
I'm with Jeraz. I stay away from graphed EQ's like the plague. If anything, I wish I could just turn the computer monitor off and mix without even looking at it.

Matt

Fairlight

Venerated Member
+1

Slightly off-topic, but can the plug-ins be controlled by other means, outside of the box? I've not actually thought of it until now.... and I'm not at my studio to look into it.

Cheers,
Peter

Suntower

Established Member
Personally, I ALWAYS use the 'non-GUI' control panel whenever possible.
1. I get the precise control I want.
2. I'm not distracted by all the pretty graphics.
3. Saves screen space.

It wouldn't bother me if there wasn't -ever- a 'pretty' GUI again.

By using all plugs in as drab a mode as possible, I think that, in a funny way, it actually makes me use my ears -more-.

YMMV

---JC

Stacy said:
Dear UA,
I really love the Neve and Helios Eq's. But what you REALLY need to do is put in an optional drop-down type menu that has a graphic interface much like the Cambridge EQ. I know that everybody is going to say that your ears are the final judge. And as true as that statement is. The visual aid is IMMENSELY helpful when digging around for specific Frequencies and Q settings!!

Stacy

You guys perhaps didn't read the idea thoroughly. It would be an \"Optional Drop-down\" menu. So if you don't want it. You would never know it's there. BTW, The logic you guys have here makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. I personally have a really hard time getting my head around the 1081 and what it is doing. If I could actually see the curves. It would make my need for aspirin far less.

chewie

Stacy said:
The visual aid is IMMENSELY helpful when digging around for specific Frequencies and Q settings!!
When using a fixed frequency eq, why would the graphics help you at all?
Just dial in the freq, boost, and if that freq sounds bad, cut it...otherwise not. And for Q, it doesn´t have it. :?

I might be missing something, though.

Arys Chien

IMHO,

EQ plug-ins that let you do anything benifits from a Q-10ish graphic control GUI, like the Cambridge, the Sony Oxford EQ, etc..

EQ plug-ins that have well-chosen fixed frequncy points and well-designed Q does not benifit, or should even keep away from, a Q-10ish graphic control GUI.

To me it's kind of like why we got knobs for parametric eqs and sliders for graphic eqs.

With EQs like the Neve and Helios, it would probably be difficult to display what it's doing graphically because of how they work. For example, according to UA the Helios \"bass peak EQ is odd in that even when the gain control is set at 0 dB, there is still a dramatic boost in band signal (roughly 2 dB!).\" How do you account for that? Show the boost even when the gain is set to 0dB? For some that might be less confusing, but for others it could make it even MORE confusing.

I guess if it's optional there's no harm, but you'd have to guarantee NO additional DSP usage when it's turned off, compared to not having it available in the first place ;) Can't spare it when you can only get a couple of instances as it is.

Jeraz

Stacy said:
You guys perhaps didn't read the idea thoroughly. It would be an "Optional Drop-down" menu. So if you don't want it. You would never know it's there. BTW, The logic you guys have here makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. I personally have a really hard time getting my head around the 1081 and what it is doing. If I could actually see the curves. It would make my need for aspirin far less.
This made me chuckle (the aspirin part). I got you perfectly, but I did leave out part of my (less rational?) response.

So here it is. I am one who has loved tweaking real switches and knobs since I was getting in trouble for doing it when I was saying my first words. To this day, I still prefer a good piece of analog gear to software, though the convenience and magic of great software has won me over for some applications. So, I happen to love the graphics of the UAD stuff. Bad, huh?

There is a lot of me-too stuff out there...putting a slide out visual display on a Helios? Just that thought p1sses me off. I would need another $50 off to buy it...it would cheapen it for me. Give me the big@ss ugly Fairchild, and he Helios with the finger-wear around the knobs. :D

Have you seen the PSP Vintage Warmer? Gorgeous...put one of those Voxengo/Waves/kjaerhus graphic compression thingies on it would screw it up TOTALY.

Now, I don't mind having other plugs like that in a line, and I own and am happy with my Voxengo graphic stuff...fine...just don't screw up my UAD and PSP with that crap. :p :D :wink:

Now, empathizing somewhat with your predicament, I would petition UAD to put a graphic DRAWING IN THE MANUAL of what some of the settings look like frequency/Q-wise...but even that migh screw up some magic.

OK...enough blathering from me.

Good luck! Stick with it!

UAD Bundle Month