• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

    Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

    Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

    1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

    2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

    Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

    Lastly, please be respectful.

UAD-1 2GB RAM limitation?

billybk1

Shareholder
I don't know if this has been addressed before, but I just recently upgraded the RAM capacity in my WinXP Pro SP2 DAW from 1GB to 3GB (added 2-1GB sticks) and after I set the /3GB switch in the boot.ini, I was disappointed to find that my UAD-1 cards would not work when I have more than 2GB RAM installled. The System Information tab in the UAD-1 Performance Meter showed all (4) cards with \"not responding\".
I take the extra RAM back out, re-boot and the UAD-1 cards magically come back to life. I put the RAM back in, reboot and the UAD-1 cards go back to not responding again :(
Will we ever be able to use more than 2GB RAM with our UAD-1 cards. Is there a valid reason why the UAD-1 cards cannot be installed on DAW's with more than 2GB RAM? My PCIE video card and PCI audio card (Delta 66) have no problem with more than 2gigs of RAM. This appears to be a flawed implementation on the part of the UAD-1 driver software to not allow more than 2GB's of RAM. Anyway, I sent an email to UA UAD-1 support asking that this issue get addressed posthaste.

Bummer, just when RAM prices have got so cheap (Twin 1GB sticks of Corsair XMS 6400 dual channel for $104US), now I can't use it my DAW because of my UAD-1 cards. :?
 

RWIL

Established Member
billybk1 said:
I don't know if this has been addressed before, but I just recently upgraded the RAM capacity in my WinXP Pro SP2 DAW from 1GB to 3GB (added 2-1GB sticks) and after I set the /3GB switch in the boot.ini, I was disappointed to find that my UAD-1 cards would not work when I have more than 2GB RAM installled. The System Information tab in the UAD-1 Performance Meter showed all (4) cards with "not responding".
I take the extra RAM back out, re-boot and the UAD-1 cards magically come back to life. I put the RAM back in, reboot and the UAD-1 cards go back to not responding again :(
Will we ever be able to use more than 2GB RAM with our UAD-1 cards. Is there a valid reason why the UAD-1 cards cannot be installed on DAW's with more than 2GB RAM? My PCIE video card and PCI audio card (Delta 66) have no problem with more than 2gigs of RAM. This appears to be a flawed implementation on the part of the UAD-1 driver software to not allow more than 2GB's of RAM. Anyway, I sent an email to UA UAD-1 support asking that this issue get addressed posthaste.

Bummer, just when RAM prices have got so cheap (Twin 1GB sticks of Corsair XMS 6400 dual channel for $104US), now I can't use it my DAW because of my UAD-1 cards. :?

Have you tried the userva switch after the /3GB switch?
Like: ....../3GB /Userva=2900....
 

billybk1

Shareholder
RWIL said:
Have you tried the userva switch after the /3GB switch?
Like: ....../3GB /Userva=2900....
I believe I did, with & without. It did not seem to make
a difference in respect to the UAD-1 cards not responding.
Have you or do know of anyone that has 3GB of RAM successfully
working with the UAD-1 cards?

Thanks for the feedback
 

billybk1

Shareholder
imdrecordings said:
I wonder if this is Windows PCs specific? :?
Are MAC users having the same issue?
Isn't there a Multi CPU Core issue as well?
-S-
I am not sure about the RAM issue with MACs, but there have been
multi-cpu issues, as well.
 

LEX

Active Member
billybk1 said:
RWIL said:
Have you tried the userva switch after the /3GB switch?
Like: ....../3GB /Userva=2900....
I believe I did, with & without. It did not seem to make
a difference in respect to the UAD-1 cards not responding.
Have you or do know of anyone that has 3GB of RAM successfully
working with the UAD-1 cards?

Thanks for the feedback
I have 4 gigs, the 3gig switch and 3 UAD-1's and it works fine.

You need to make sure you host can do more than 2 gigs.

LEX
 

billybk1

Shareholder
LEX said:
billybk1 said:
RWIL said:
Have you tried the userva switch after the /3GB switch?
Like: ....../3GB /Userva=2900....
I believe I did, with & without. It did not seem to make
a difference in respect to the UAD-1 cards not responding.
Have you or do know of anyone that has 3GB of RAM successfully
working with the UAD-1 cards?

Thanks for the feedback
I have 4 gigs, the 3gig switch and 3 UAD-1's and it works fine.

You need to make sure you host can do more than 2 gigs.

LEX
Well, I retried the /3GB/userva=2900 switch (also tried it at 2700),
and it was pretty much the same. None of the cards were listed as enabled in the Performance Meter System Information tab, after system boot-up. One pair of UAD-1's were in no response mode and the other pair of UAD-1's had this message listed in the System Status screen:

Card 1 not available: No system memory resources. MapRDRAM failed. Card 2 not available: No system memory resources. MapRDRAM failed.

I have (2) PCI & (2) PCIe cards intalled on the P5B-E MB. The MB is spec'd to handle up to 8GB's of RAM.

Anyway, I deleted the 3GB switch entry in the boot.ini, powered down, took out the extra RAM and after re-booting all (4) UAD-1 cards came back to life.
 

Spacey

Active Member
I've got 4gb of ram and win xp sp2 shows 3 gb as expected and my uad-1's work fine.

My setup is:

Gigabyte 965P DS3 running an E6300 1.8ghz at 2.8ghz
DDR2 800mhz ram
Ati X1950 Pro Graphics Card
Audiofire 12 sound card
Running 2 x Uad-1's in this machine at mo

But at the moment I've had to take 2 uad-1's out to put them in my other machine at home, so maybe it's a 4 card thing?
 

Akis

Sadly, left this world before his time.
Moderator
4GB, 4 cards here and it works as expected, WinXP Pro SP2, userva=2700. The cards are in a Magma, though.
 

.mr chris

Active Member
DAW1, 4GB RAM, 4 UAD-1s in magma: working

DAW2, 3GB RAM, 4 UAD-1s on mobo: working


DAW1 = dual opteron, PC, XP pro sp2 etc...
DAW2 = dual xeon, PC, XP pro sp2 etc...


no \"special\" switches.

HTH,
.c
 
MSI K9SLI Platinum MOBO
AMD 64 fx 5200+ dual core
4 gig DDR II 800 mhz ram
Windows Vista Home Premium
Winows Vista 64x

No love in either OS.

I get the \"UAD-1 cards not responding\" error.
Hope this is fixed soon. Vista 64x uses all the ram I throw at it.
Rich
 

kevv69

New Member
My old system (P4, XP Pro, 4 GB) UAD worked fine.

My new system (E6600, XP X64, 8GB) UAD won't work at all!

It is a known issue and UAD have said that they will address this before the next update (4.7) or rather with the new update.

K
 

billybk1

Shareholder
Okay, thanks to the helpful reply I got from UA support (thanks Ned) he pointed me to a past UAD-1 forum thread that gave me the additional info I needed:

http://www.chrismilne.com:80/uadforums/ ... ght=memory

What I found out is that the /Userva=xxxx is very important line as well as the actual number you put in. For every card you have in your system you need to decrease the number by 200. So if you have 3GB of RAM & (2) cards-2900, (3) cards-2700 & (4) cards-2500. Once I put the /3GB/Userva=2500 line into the boot.ini, I was able to successfully boot into WinXP Pro with all (4) UAD-1 cards recognized and working. :)
I was previously using either 2900 or 2700. Reducing that number to 2500 (for 4 cards) was the magic bullet.


Cheers,

Billy Buck
 

alphasound

New Member
So Billy, are you saying that you've fixed the problem by using the 3GB/userva=2x00 switch?
So under Windows XP x64 you can see 4 GB Ram (My Computer>Properties) and you can see all your installed UAD-1 cards, and you can actually load Power Plugins in your sequencer and they work fine?

The reason why I am asking is that I, too, got it ok, until I realized that although both my cards show up in the Performance meter (and active), the plugins do NOT actually work in Cubase. The moment I open the first (powered) plug in, I get a message that it failed.

I know we are waiting for the new drivers, but until then I was hoping there was a workaround.


My system:
E6420, Asus P5B Plus, 4GB Ram Corsair,
Memory remap enabled (in BIOS)
Win XP x64
2xUAD-1
RME DSP 9652



billybk1 said:
Okay, thanks to the helpful reply I got from UA support (thanks Ned) he pointed me to a past UAD-1 forum thread that gave me the additional info I needed:

http://www.chrismilne.com:80/uadforums/ ... ght=memory

What I found out is that the /Userva=xxxx is very important line as well as the actual number you put in. For every card you have in your system you need to decrease the number by 200. So if you have 3GB of RAM & (2) cards-2900, (3) cards-2700 & (4) cards-2500. Once I put the /3GB/Userva=2500 line into the boot.ini, I was able to successfully boot into WinXP Pro with all (4) UAD-1 cards recognized and working. :)
I was previously using either 2900 or 2700. Reducing that number to 2500 (for 4 cards) was the magic bullet.


Cheers,

Billy Buck
 

kevv69

New Member
alphasound said:
So Billy, are you saying that you've fixed the problem by using the 3GB/userva=2x00 switch?
So under Windows XP x64 you can see 4 GB Ram (My Computer>Properties) and you can see all your installed UAD-1 cards, and you can actually load Power Plugins in your sequencer and they work fine?

The reason why I am asking is that I, too, got it ok, until I realized that although both my cards show up in the Performance meter (and active), the plugins do NOT actually work in Cubase. The moment I open the first (powered) plug in, I get a message that it failed.

I know we are waiting for the new drivers, but until then I was hoping there was a workaround.


My system:
E6420, Asus P5B Plus, 4GB Ram Corsair,
Memory remap enabled (in BIOS)
Win XP x64
2xUAD-1
RME DSP 9652
I suspect Billy is referring to XP Pro and not XP X64. The 3GB switch is not relevant in X64.
Think we will just have to wait for the update and fix.

K
 

billybk1

Shareholder
kevv69 said:
I suspect Billy is referring to XP Pro and not XP X64. The 3GB switch is not relevant in X64.
Think we will just have to wait for the update and fix.

K
Yes, that is correct. I was refering to XP Pro and not XP64. Unfortunately, even though I am now able to successfully boot into Windows and all (4) UAD-1 cards are recognized and usable, I am not able to enable the Memory Remap in my system BIOS (using ASUS P5B-E - BIOS 0601)
When I do my DAW freezes before it can even POST. I have to take out (2) UAD-1 PCI cards and then re-boot and I will get a successful POST. I then have to dis-able the Memory Remap in my BIOS before I can put the (2) cards back in.
So now I can successfully boot into Windows (using the 3GB/userva=2500) switch and use all (4) cards, but I cannot get access to the extra memory, only the normal 2GB. Well I can, if I only want to use (2) of my (4) cards. :(

Hmmm....maybe I need to update my MB BIOS
 
UAD Bundle Month
Top