• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

UAD-1, DP4, MDD G4 Dual 867, OS 10.3.4, MOTU 896HD.

demonsp

Howdy all!!

I'm curious if anyone has the same or similar set-up listed in the topic above.
I'd like to know how things are going and what buffer settings are possible.
Also, are the faders jumpy in DP4 with such a set up?

Thanks!!
All other comments are welcomed. =)

TheHopiWay

I always run the highest buffer possible (in my case 1024).
Latency isn't an issue as headphone mixes for tracking are sent off the input side.
Faders work fine.

giles117

Only diff is I am using a 2408 MkIII otherwise same CPu, etc..

Are you updated to V 4.12 of DP?

The faders were jumping in 4.1

Bryan Giles

demonsp

Thanks for the replies! =)

I'm still plagued by the jumpy faders and regular crashes =(.
I have DP4.12 and according to MOTU techsupport it could be a RAM issue.
Which I doubt very much since the Hardware test CD that came with my Mac says all RAM is cool. No other program seems unstable (ie. Reason)

The 2Gigs of RAM I got were all bought separate and apart from passing hardware tests did not seem to make a difference.

Any ideas?

giles117

When you LOAD down a mix and the Processor meter goes past 50% you will notice sluggishness. Also a feature that was in DP 3 that is missing from DP4 (One effect window open at a time) would be nice as well. If you have a ton of effects windows open, you will notice screen redraw slow downs, etc....

As far as mouse mixing not sure I can offer much, I use Logic Control upgraded for Mackie Control Mode and 3 extenders and the Fader action is VERY responsive with this interface.

Bryan Giles

demonsp

Unfortunately, even new sessions are having the jumpy faders. No hitting 50% processor usage here.

I wonder if it's my 2Gigs of memory or my 8mb cache hard drives?

giles117

My system is loaded with memory. Wish I could offer any advice.Do you have any accessories running in the Background of your system or is it a RAW un adulterated OS x Instal. Also I am on 10.3.4 as well

Bryan Giles

demonsp

Thanks all!!

I'm not running anything in the background. I have disabled nearly every option in my system (like energy saver options, dock genie, etc).
Clean install and running latest everything.

According to Motu it was a bad RAM issue, but after removing and exchanging all 4 RAM sticks don't know anymore.

All I can think of is internal audio. I'm too poor to buy an 896HD yet.
Using line out from Mac for now.

giles117

Then buy an 828. I have never used built in audio so I cant comment on that one. :)

but an 828 is cheap enuff for the impoverished

demonsp

Giles: \"impoversished\"..I like that term. =) It seems that's what I need to do (get an interface).
Thing is, I don't want to make myself poorer and then discover I'm still having issues.

(*FEARFUL*)

giles117

Really wish I could be of more help. I had a guy with an MDD who was having massive issues we were able to remove ram and run tests and found out which RAM chip was bad casuing his crashes, it;s been about 10 days and no headaches to report.

demonsp

Things are fine since last post.

Have purchased 896HD (see my gear list) and updates seem to be helping.
I'm still having jumpy faders (using mouse) and UAD-1 card feels like it could do with further improvements. (can't use it pass 65% approx)
BUT everything works fine enough to complete work.

UAD Bundle Month