• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

uad-1 unplugged

Brando

I'd like to get the UAD plugins. From what I recall fromn a session were they were used the compressors are especially sweet.

I love UA's hardware the mic pre on the 6176 is first class and the la2a reissue is right on the nose with arguably less noise.

Anyway, the only thing that has made me hold purchase of the UAD-1 is this powered plugin card business.

I mean I'd pay the asking price for the UAD plus a fee for additional instances if that's the model UA wants to employ but for crying out load why force an obsolete underpowered DSP card down everyone's throat. because given the posts I've read on this board the results are hit and miss regarding compatiblity. And while I'm happy to tweak a mix I'm less so playing with computer stuff.

Any word if UAD-1 is considering releasing their plugs as straight vst's I could only imagine that would increase their market share considerably.

BTW for what its worth I have an X24800 with nforce4 sli board and a dual X2 Opteron 275 (4 cores) nforce4Pro board -both have been great as a DAW with loads of processing power and low latency under
Sonar 5 Anyone else using nforce4SLI with UAD-1

I guess if you want a digital simulation of LA2a, 1176 or Pultech you have no other choice.

And please don't recommend the URS, mediocre at best imo, I'll post my experience with them seperately.

billybk1

Shareholder
Brando said:
Any word if UAD-1 is considering releasing their plugs as straight vst's I could only imagine that would increase their market share considerably.
It will never happen because of the rampant piracy, of native VST plugins. UA has publicy stated this many times before. There is just no way to 100% guarantee that UA's prized golden plugin algorithms don't get ripped off, like every other VST plugin has. Even the URS plugins with their much vaunted USB ilok crap has been cracked, for a long time now. No native VST plugin is safe. Like it or not, besides providing added DSP power, the UAD-1 card, just as importantly, acts as a piracy-proof dongle, as well.

Paul Woodlock

Established Member
Brando said:
I'd like to get the UAD plugins. From what I recall fromn a session were they were used the compressors are especially sweet.

I love UA's hardware the mic pre on the 6176 is first class and the la2a reissue is right on the nose with arguably less noise.

Anyway, the only thing that has made me hold purchase of the UAD-1 is this powered plugin card business.

I mean I'd pay the asking price for the UAD plus a fee for additional instances if that's the model UA wants to employ but for crying out load why force an obsolete underpowered DSP card down everyone's throat. because given the posts I've read on this board the results are hit and miss regarding compatiblity. And while I'm happy to tweak a mix I'm less so playing with computer stuff.

BTW for what its worth I have an X24800 with nforce4 sli board and a dual X2 Opteron 275 (4 cores) nforce4Pro board -both have been great as a DAW with loads of processing power and low latency under
Sonar 5 Anyone else using nforce4SLI with UAD-1

I guess if you want a digital simulation of LA2a, 1176 or Pultech you have no other choice.

And please don't recommend the URS, mediocre at best imo, I'll post my experience with them seperately.
Underpowered?

If UA ever did release native versions of their plugs, you'd soon realise that the cards are far from underpowered.

btw - I bought a UAD-1 card pretty much after they were first released. I have now got 3 UAD-1 cards. I switch on, they work. period.

I say go for it! :)

Paul

Tony Ostinato

Indeed i responded the same as paul in the duplicate thread.

You pay 8 times what uad-1 costs for the MUCH older dsps in the Pro Tools HD cards.

and those are smaller, slower, and segmented. thats why the heavier uad-1 plugs like fairchild arent available for tdm.

Akis

Sadly, left this world before his time.
Tony's post from the now deleted duplicate thread:

\"obsolete underpowered DSP card down everyone's throat. \"

afaik the dsp uad-1 uses is the most modern (its not just graphics like some confused people will say) audio dsp in use.

last guesses were that you'd be able to run 4 or 5 of the lightest plugs, like la-2a, natively on a 4 ghz machine. You might not be able to run the heavier ones at all.

anyways people slamming uad-1 dsp should do some real research and get some actual facts. Everybody calls it \"an old video card\" and thats simply not correct.

Trace

Actually there was a post in this forum some time last year I believe with a load of real technical info on the processing power of the UAD-1. Its quite impressive.

I can't remember exactly what thread it was in, but someone from UA was kind enough to write the post.

Its a great Audio DSP. I think that in the future if they still want to use the current Chip, they should consider a rackmount which could house 8 of them. They could make it a PCIe device and i'm sure that would add a lot of power for what we'll need to record at 96k. It would be cost effective for us and for them. They won't have to switch to a new DSP and we would get the needed power boost for higher sample rates.

TRACE :)

UAD Bundle Month