• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

UAD-1 with PCI-X G5 Dual 2GHz

Babz

I just bought an older PCI-X G5 (M9455LL/A) and was thinking of adding a UAD-1 Flexi Pak, but then googling I stumble across all this business about the \"AMD-8131 PCI-X controller\" and poor performance on G5s like mine.

I skimed a few tech articles about it, but am trying to get to the bottomline in terms of what this means for real world users. Can anyone summarzie what the issues are (apparently low plugin counts) and how serious this is in real life? Is anyone using PCI-X w/ UAD-1? Can you share what kind of performance and issues you are experiencing?

Did I buy a bad Mac for use with UAD-1?

Thanks!
Babz

Sorry if this has been covered ad nauseum... I couldn't find a way to search the forum for past posts. :|

jimmymio

Therre is a specific UAD/Mac forum. i suggest the moderator move this post or else you repost it there.
JP

Dave Bourke

Babz said:
Sorry if this has been covered ad nauseum... I couldn't find a way to search the forum for past posts. :|
Hey Babz, thanks to a suggestion by Dan Duskin there's a better way to search here than using the built-in phpBB engine. Bring up an ADVANCED Google search page and enter the following into the DOMAIN field:

http://www.chrismilne.com/uadforums

Now do your search. Should be a lot better.

Kind regards.

Trace

Hey Babz,

I also have a PCI-X G5 and I have 4 UAD-1's in a Magma Chassis. Yes there are some issues with the PCI-X and UAD-1. The thing is that if you use the best UA plug ins you probably won't notice much of a problem. You should be able to get pretty close to full use of the available DSP. its only when you try to use high instances of the \"low power\" UA plug ins that you will eventually hit a wall.

For me in everyday use, it hasn't been a serious problem. However it is a less efficient way to work. I run sessions with heavy UAD use and VSTi's and I have no real problems getting everything to work smoothly.

By the way if you have any issues i'll be glad to help.

TRACE :)

Babz

Thanks, Trace!

I bought a refurb dual 2GHz w/ PCI-X. Ironically, for $100 more I could have gotten a dual 2GHz refurb w/ plain old PCI. Wish I had researched this better, but at the time I was only thinking in terms of my MOTU PCI card (which I knew worked with PCI-X... that's all I knew and I had to act fast since these Apple refurbs disappear quick) and hadn't considered UAD-1 at that point.

Oh well, it seems like it WILL work, but just not optimally. As I understand it, the AMD-8131 mode works by switching DSP demand from the UAD PCI card to the host. Bummer, since the whole point of using a PCI-card-based effect is to avoid hitting the host. Oh well, at least there is a workaround. It must have really sucked bad WITHOUT the AMD-8131-mode solution, for UA to go this route. I'm sure turning to the host for power was a last resort.

Best,
Babz

P.S. Thanks Dave Bourke for the search tip! I suppose the same Google advanced technique could be used to search other forums too! Great tip.

PaulM

Babs...

I have the same machine as you and a UAD card.

I can honestly say that I have had nothing but trouble with this f*%$£^g card since I bought it with my new setup over a year ago....the whole latency thing while tracking is just useless.....(they have now fixed it in this latest version - BY RUNNING ALL THE PLUGINS (native included) ON ONE PROCESSOR....

It is in my system and i love the sound of it but never been able to use it because i run all my cues / songs live and the latency issues were horrendous.

This morning I am running a film cue and I have NO UAD plugs in the project and the processor starts to crap out - yet there is not THAt much running. So I just try disabling the UAD driver......et VOILA....the whole thing runs smoother than it ever has - and I am able to load up 5 more instances of altiverb and still have processor headroom...... Go figure?

Finally on my rant..... :) I do wonder why everything has to be shunted onto one processor in Live Mode.....

I think it may be a Logic issue - which brings me onto wondering WHY CAN LOGIC (who is part of APPLE) CAN ONLY ACCESS 2 PROCESSORS ON THE QUAD WHILE DP5 (A third party company) CAN ACCESS ALL 4.

Anyway...guys a UAD......well done for gettting the card this far with regard to L7 and the latency issues....just sounding off....

Thanks for listening...Good night!

PaulM

Ashermusic

I also have a PCI-x 2.0 that I use for Logic Pro 7.2.1 and you would have to pry my UAD-1 card out of my cold dead hands.

This is far less of a problem for guys like me who think in terms of first composing and arranging and then mixing. I simply wait untl I have enteerd all the parts to start using the UAD-1 plugs.

Blatboy

I'm with ya on that. I have the same setup. Oh it makes me so sad sometimes. If I wasn't such an addict to how the UA plugs sound, I'da been gone in a heartbeat.,..

But yes, I also try to wait until most of the composition is done. Especially when I'm locking to video.

However, I do wish it wasn't the case. Sometimes having that plate 140 on there while composing is kind of fun for the vibe of it all... but I guess the good ol Space Designer can do as a temp reverb before I put on the final sheen....

:)

w

Babz

Thanks for the replies, all!

Just as an update, I did end up picking up a Studio Pak! But haven't yet had time to install. PaulM, I'm hoping that maybe the issues that you mention will be different for me since I'm using DP, not Logic.

Would love to hear any users experiences w/ UAD-1 + PCI-X, especially if they are using DP and/or a PCI-424 + UAD-1 w/ PCI-X.

Best,
Babz

PaulM

Blatboy said:
However, I do wish it wasn't the case. Sometimes having that plate 140 on there while composing is kind of fun for the vibe of it all...
My point exactly . I too wish it "wasn't the case" ......but it is

PaulM

Babz said:

Just as an update, I did end up picking up a Studio Pak! But haven't yet had time to install. PaulM, I'm hoping that maybe the issues that you mention will be different for me since I'm using DP, not Logic.

Would love to hear any users experiences w/ UAD-1 + PCI-X, especially if they are using DP and/or a PCI-424 + UAD-1 w/ PCI-X.

Best,
Babz
My friend uses DP and he is great with it - he also arranges then records.....THEN MIXES...so this work flow is great.....

unfortunately with Film and Symphony Orchestra emulations....I DO NOT want to be burning 1,000,000 tracks of audio only to have changes made by prod / dir....then have to reburn etc etc etc

it is all runnning live.......and that is where the problems lie for me..... Maybe I should take a leaf out of Jays book .....and burn then mix.......

i just like to keep thing in flux till the last possible minute.....

2slim

My set is a Mac G5 2.5, Tiger OSX, Powercore PCI installed in the Mac, Motu 424 PCI-X card installed in the Mac, Magma 7 slot with 2x UAD-1 (with plans to go to 4 cards asap) running Nuendo 3.2 and SX3.2 something. I have had no problems running this way.

burnsmd

No problem here with dual G5 (see profile) and 3 internal UAD-1's....as long as I keep total usage at less than 80%.

I use the UAD's during mixdown....I could NOT live without the Pultec Pro; LA2A; 1176LN;Fairchild; Nigel; and Cambridge. I use Waves Gold for the rest and two external reverb units. Mainly do Pop-rock and Country music production.

I have no latency problem during recording as I monitor direct.

Best wishes to all.

Hoagie

Those of you (Trace? Dave? Babz?) who have a Motu PCI-424 in a G5 with AMD 8131,
is there an optimal slot configuration for *two* UAD-1 cards?
Do you put the UAD-1's on separate PCI busses (slot 4 + slot 2 or 3)?
Or is there some value in keeping the PCI-424 on its own bus (slot 4),
with the UAD's sharing a bus (slots2,3)? Or?

Putting the question differently, is the AMD performance hit likely to be less or more
if two UAD-1's are sharing the same PCI bus vs. being on separate busses?

At the moment, my wallet doesn't need to hear any reply that includes the word \"magma.\" ;)

Cheers,
Hoagie

NEWRIGEL

PaulM said:
Babz said:

Best,
Babz
My friend uses DP and he is great with it - he also arranges then records.....THEN MIXES...so this work flow is great.....

unfortunately with Film and Symphony Orchestra emulations....I DO NOT want to be burning 1,000,000 tracks of audio only to have changes made by prod / dir....then have to reburn etc etc etc

it is all runnning live.......and that is where the problems lie for me..... Maybe I should take a leaf out of Jays book .....and burn then mix.......

i just like to keep thing in flux till the last possible minute.....
With DP you can "UNFREEZE" rendered tracks....

LeeSteel

So my MAC is a (M9748LL/A) and I just purchased the UAD-1e Extreme package. Will be installing tomorrow. Any known issues with this box? How can I tell which chipset I have?

TheHopiWay

LeeSteel said:
So my MAC is a (M9748LL/A) and I just purchased the UAD-1e Extreme package. Will be installing tomorrow. Any known issues with this box? How can I tell which chipset I have?
IMO one of the best choices you could make.
According to Apple's info the M9748 LL/A (which I have too) does not have PCI-X slots but standard PCI slots.
All the early 2005 models reverted to PCI as PCI-X proved to be a bit of a dead end.
Oddly everymac.com used to reflect this info but when they updated their site they now show that the M9748 has PCI-X slots but I choose to believe Apple and my own trouble free experience on this.

Here's the apple spec link:

http://support.apple.com/specs/powermac ... _2005.html

LeeSteel

Mine has PCI-X

LeeSteel

I made a mistake. Thanx to TheHopiWay, I found my MAC on the everymac.com web site. It is actually (M9591LL/A). All PCI-X slots including the graphics card. It's a dual core machine. So now I have to ask my question again, anyone else using this machine? Any known issues with this one?

Yikes... it is a little too late. My UAD card will be here tomorrow morning.

UAD Bundle Month