• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

uad crashes new system

jakobanthoff

hey guys....i need help over here

just updated my entire pc. and uad doesn't work anymore.
the new pc looks like this:

asus 5pw dh motherboard
intel quad core
4 gb corsair ram
msi 8800gt zilent
silentmaxx 600w power supply

now, when uad card was in it's pci slot, i couldn't install the graphics
card driver. when unplugging the uad i was able to do this.
so the system runs great if uad is not in the slot.
as soon as i pop it in...windows doesn't start anymore. hangs on the xp loading screen. i can start in \"safe mode\" - since then the graphics card dirvers are dissabled.
what can i do? seems like my graphics card and uad really don't like each other. any suggestions?

cheers
jakob

Spacey

You'll have to juggle slots I'm afraid. Keep moving the uad-1 into different slots until it works. Also in bios turn off things that you don't use like serial bus, floppy drive, on board sound etc this frees up irq's as it sounds like your uad-1 in the slot you are using is sharing it's irq.

Kev

Established Member
Install the older drivers for your graphics card. The newer NVIDIA drivers don't play well with the P5W and UAD.

jakobanthoff

thanks for the replies

i tried moving graphics as well as uad card.
that didn't work. i'll check the bios settings and try older drivers for the
graphics card.
problem is, the card is really new. i have the drivers of the cd and don't know if there even are older drivers.

cheers
jakob

neil wilkes

Venerated Member
I'm using an ASUS NVIdia card too.
It's the EN8500GT though.
The way I set mine up was this:
Nothing on Mobo (ASUS Commando) except RAM/CPU/Graphics.
Graphics in the PCI-e 1 - the 16x slot.
Update BIOS of mobo to recognize the chip.
Install XP.
Install Mobo drivers (Intel chipset) from ASUS CD
Install ASUS Graphics from ASUS CD - do NOT install Gamer Software.
Update XP with all patches
Install Sound Card
Install SCSI controller
Install Nuendo 3.2.1
Install UAD Drivers
Add UAD card #1, set it up & verify it works
Add UAD card #2 - verify it works
Add UAD card #3 (PCI-e) - it still worked.

If you are getting this problem, it sounds to me as if either
A - the intel Chipset drivers did not install properly, or
B - there is a problem on the mobo. This is the most likely answer.

WARNING - Rant alert.

When I got my Commando, it fried 2 graphics cards before we worked out the intel chipset installation was failing to install Northbridge bits due to faulty component on mobo. I called the suppliers & they said that sinxce everything has been made in China, they get up to 70% returns on mobos. As the per unit cost is still around 15x cheaper (slave labour is cheap) the bean counters still think it is worthwhile, as they just do not give a short, sharp shit about customer service any more. Their bottom line is still better, even with 70% returns.
When I started in this game back in the 80's, we were always told to avouid chinese built components as religiously as you avoid a dose of the clap because the build quality is just so appallingly bad.
Nowadays we have very little choice in the matter as everything is made in freaking China.

Rant over. Sorry.

jakobanthoff

hey you guys are great...thx a lot

i'll need some time to try all this out...bit of a computer dummy.
but i'll let you know how it goes

jakobanthoff

ok guys

still no luck.
i installed the older drivers for the graphics card (163.71).
this didn't go without problems. when running the setup programm it told me that no hardware was found for the driver.
i then had to manually install via the device manager.
it didn't show up as a 8800gt but 8800gts. but it worked and i was able to install uad.
but now, windows freezes whenever i start any programm :-(
any further ideas?

cheers
jakob

crandak

jakobanthoff said:
now, when uad card was in it's pci slot, i couldn't install the graphics
card driver. when unplugging the uad i was able to do this.
so the system runs great if uad is not in the slot.
as soon as i pop it in...windows doesn't start anymore. hangs on the xp loading screen. i can start in "safe mode" - since then the graphics card dirvers are dissabled.
what can i do? seems like my graphics card and uad really don't like each other. any suggestions?
cheers
jakob
exact same thing with me.
I have

p5wd2-e premium mobo
MSI GEFORCE 6200 video card
DDR2 512MB PC5300 667MHZ x4
BLACK ASPIRE 600W DARK SIDE PS
lynx 2a

I tried installing the nvidia drivers in safemode with the uad in and on reboot I got a blue screen telling me "IRQL is not less than or equal to"

I'm going to try installing the older video drivers first, but I'm tempted to just get a new video card.

This is really frustrating because both cards worked before I reloaded my system.

Kev

Established Member
I spent many hours figuring this one out when I built my new system around the P5W using a Geforce-Nvidia graphics card. I completely reinstalled everything from the beginning with one UAD card installed. As soon as I installed the Nvidia drivers, crash city. After installing the older version ( I think the 92.__) everything was good to go and I've never looked back.

crandak

hey I want to thank you guys that figured this one out... you f*kin rock. uninstalled the new nvidia drivers and installed the old drivers. Worked like a charm.

UAD Bundle Month