• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

UAD La2a vs Hardware La2a - Sound examples

Which one is the hardware LA-2A?

• A is the hardware unit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B is the hardware unit

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here I compare a pair of hardware La2a's against the UAD La2a. You can listen and tell me which you think is which.

I used the nulling technique to get the hardware and software sounding as close as possible.

You'll get 4 examples of each.

The hardware is either ALL of the \"A\" samples or ALL of the \"B\" samples

Likewise

The software is either ALL of the \"A\" samples or ALL of the \"B\" samples.

Stereo Room Mic A: http://www.musicians-samples.com/Stereo Room Mics - A.mp3
Stereo Room Mic B: http://www.musicians-samples.com/Stereo Room Mics - B.mp3
Acoustic A: http://www.musicians-samples.com/Acoustic - A.mp3
Acoustic B: http://www.musicians-samples.com/Acoustic - B.mp3
Rock clip A: http://www.musicians-samples.com/Rock Clip - A.mp3
Rock clip B: http://www.musicians-samples.com/Rock Clip - B.mp3
Bass A: http://www.musicians-samples.com/Bass - A.mp3
Bass B: http://www.musicians-samples.com/Bass - B.mp3

electro77

Venerated Member
mp3. for listening test?

elram

i think its A=vst B=hardware...
because A sounds a lot more distorted.... mostly on the the Acoustic sample

anywayz... a friend of mine had em both (hardware and vst) and he told me that the differences are really minor...

though i still get the hardware the minute i'll get the money!
:D

Jidis

elram said:
A sounds a lot more distorted
Definitely on that bass track. :eek:

Norman- Around what sort of gain reduction was happening on most of these clips?

Thanks for the testing!

There's a LOT of compression happening on the acoustic, rock clip, and room mics... maybe 20db+. I wanted to see how close the plug could get to the hardware. The bass is only seeing maybe 6db of compression...

Matt Hepworth

Master of the UADiverse
Forum Admin
Cool test. Thanks for taking the time.

Let's make this a sticky for a bit and see what the consensus is on which is which, then in a few days post the answers.

We could make this a poll if you'd like.

I prefer A except on the acoustic. It sounds a bit slicker.

larrygates

mp3's sound fine. Lap top speakers I would say B is the hardware.

Although for the drums B was a lot thinner but gave off that impression of more imperfections.

Oh well, I think B

On the laptop Drums were the only immediate discernable difference.

Lossy Codecs forever (unless a lossless codec can turn 60 MB files to 2 MB files)

Matt Hepworth said:
Cool test. Thanks for taking the time.

Let's make this a sticky for a bit and see what the consensus is on which is which, then in a few days post the answers.

We could make this a poll if you'd like.

I prefer A except on the acoustic. It sounds a bit slicker.
Fine by me. A poll might be good. I have some more examples that I've taken that show some more obvious differences between the hardware and software... but I'll wait to post them until people have had a chance to listen to the other examples.

Dan Duskin

Established Member
I can CLEARLY here the tube saturation on example A!

I prefer the sound of 'A' on all but the 'Rock Clip' (i prefered 'B' here)... because the saturation seemed to take away much of the \"pop\" and \"snap\" from the snare.

On the guitar and bass examples, A kicks the living shit out of B!!!

A is the hardware, or I'll eat my socks :)

Schaap

A sounds more open and 'live' to me. A is the hardware but I really hope that A is the plug-in! :D

Henk

WildCowboys

Given that they both had the same amount of gain reduction going on (not just what the meters say but what happens in reality...) then A sounds like the analog to me, quite easy to identify. it sounds more in-your-face with overtones that I prefer over the digital (B in my opinion) which has a less smooth compression action (pumping artifacts) as well as less of the overtones/saturation that makes the A clips so upfront and stable.

Would be very funny if I am wrong with my judgement here, it seems so abvious to me this time that A is analog.

Rock on,
Pat

LFranco

Venerated Member
I participated in the Gearslutz forum for this poll (got it right and was the first dude to say \"A\" was hardware, haha).

LOL @ the aftermath of this poll on Gearslutz currently though, and in the \"High-End\" forum, no less!

TheEastGateMS

There are a few things that factor in when considering whether or not this is a fair test. Firstly, if the signal was routed to an external compressor, was the digital signal also routed out of the system and back in without the compressor so that it would pick up any character of any preamp or conversion that was in the chain? Secondly, what sample rate was this test run at? Plugins run noticably smoother/more natural at higher sample rates. Lastly, when running a comparison, settings should be as close to the same as possible... meaning, using a null test is kind of odd when the settings on each unit end up different, but have the same exact controls.

For example, on the PEQ comparison that someone else did, I prefered the PEQ over the analog eq when I set the PEQ to a 9.6k high shelf boost on the dry signal, which was closer to the analog eq's setting by the numbers. The null test worked better when the PEQ was set at 11k high shelf boost, but that setting is further away technically and I did not think it sounded as sweet as the analog setting of 10k or my favorite sounding setting of the PEQ at 9.6k.

Anywho, any thoughts or comments are welcome... I am curious to have my worries/challenges of these most recent comparisons answered.

Oh, and wav or aif are still preferred.

imdrecordings

Venerated Member
LFranco said:
I participated in the Gearslutz forum for this poll (got it right and was the first dude to say "A" was hardware, haha).

LOL @ the aftermath of this poll on Gearslutz currently though, and in the "High-End" forum, no less!
Norman had this to say...

The plug-in captures the opto response of the hardware very impressively, but it will NOT saturate. It's not dynamic in this fashion. When you turn up the gain, all you get is gain. The hardware is dynamic. When a snare hits, it gets compressed, then at certain output level it hits the transformer's voltage output limitations and get smashed like a brickwall limiter. The variation between compression and brickwall is gradual transition which allows for some creative gain-staging possibilities like "overdriving" for fuzz, distortion, grit, whatever...
Which is true...
The new 33609 has the modeling that the other UA plugs are missing. That distortion! It's only a matter of time before we get a new card and renew the old EMUs. :) Then we can sell our hardware for way more than it's worth! :lol:

@ TheEastGateMS
Regardless of the test methods. I could tell A was the hardware before hearing B. That's only because I'm psychic.

Arys Chien

I got it wrong, but I don't think we need wav to tell the difference. These mp3s are good enough for that purpose. I got it wrong just because of my own mstake during the listening. I wouldn't blame it on the files and call it not a fair test.

Gotta practice more on critical listening..... Don't focus on the wrong spot in the very beginning and let the wrong first impression trick my mind.... :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.
UAD Bundle Month