• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

UAD, please turn PMB into either SBC on steroids !

beubbo

Hi,

I'm starting this thread to let know UA's people that it would be great to have the option to select just one PMB's band AND expand it across the whole frequency spectrum to turn PMB either into a great Single Band Compressor on serious steroids with total control over attack & release (compared to fixed or limited attack with Fairchild, 1176...) so we can use it on single tracks, auxes or what interest me the most, on the Mix Buss. It would definitely give us one more *very good* reason to purchase it.

Feel free to join this petition, even existing PMB's owners... and keep fingers crossed !

TIA to UA to make this kindly happen anytime soon...

secretworld

yes please

secretworld

I´m not sure about this but I think I read somewhere that the PMB was the completion of the prec. mastering suite, so I would gues no more precissions...

sj_digriz

polygen said:
yep, a single-band mode would be great. but i think dan i sright, it's more likely going to happen as another product; UA doesn't typically include new functionality in "old" plugins (exception: k-system meters for PL).
and tempo synch......etc.

Reminds of the scene in Life of Brian, "What have Romans ever done for us?"

polygen

go insult someone else. why are some people so intolerant of other people's views these days?
yes tempo-sync, but to be honest, that's something every 5-dollar freebie plug has, its nothing extravagant, it's a basic requirement for a modern time-based effect; and as such it should have been there straight away. like adding a \"feedback\" control to a delay plugin ;) but what else? no A/B views, no chainer, no new nigel models, no gain control on the pultec, no updated upsampling-cambridge, no 5.1 versions....there's plenty of easy-to-do stuff (compared to writing a new modelled plug) that people have been asking for for ages--> nada. i'm not saying that this is a big issue per se (although that would be a valid point imho), i was just saying that in the past it has definitely not been UA's style to change feature sets of plugins whose marketing peak has passed and that because of this i think it is not likely to happen with the PMB . *occasionally* this may happen (as i pointed out with the reference to the addition of k-sys meters to the PL), but *in general* it doesn't. go ahead, disagree and make fun of my perspective on this....lol

kemo

Calm down, were all friends here....

All people are doing is making a point just as you did, based on what they perceive is and has happened in the past. I want the EX-1 split into its individual parts so I can eq after compression which seems to go against UA's thinking. I don't care if they think I'm doing wrong but by now I'm coming to the conclusion they (UA) don't really listen as we think they do.

I make do with the excellent tools they provide and take each new plugin as it comes. If I like, feel the need etc I buy, if not I pass. Maybe they do listen but I do think they are set in some 'way'.

Can you not link the bands in the PMB or something like that to make it act sort of like a single band? I haven't tried the demo's of the later Precision series or the Roland stuff so I don't know. I would have thought that would have been possible but then again I don't attempt mastering myself and have very little experience with multiband stuff. Just interested thats all.

Oh and Polygen, while your inviting a bit of 'fun making' on your part, errr isn't it technically impossible to have a '$5 dollar freebie' plugin.

:D

Just kidding mate......

sj_digriz

polygen said:
go insult someone else
I didn't insult you. I found it humorous that you contradicted
yourself in your own rant. WHICH IS FINE!!!

I have nothing against you or the changes you want. In fact I have no freakin need of a MB compressor at all. Never used one, doubt I ever will. It would be a better plug for me if it was a single band like you are requesting.

But, I never see the point in needless negetivity, especially to a company that has provided a lot of things I like. Again, we all should ask for what we want. But, don't get all huffy when it doesn't go your way. Maybe next time you'll get some fantastic knobulator that you've been waiting for all of your life and I'll be "WTF did you guys waste all that dev time on that for, I absolutely can't live without a combobulator"
polygen said:
much better :lol:

stonefree

I called UA tech support the other day regarding problems with timed demos and also asked about a single band mode. Brent Patrick told me if enough people asked for it they would consider adding that feature. Perhaps emailing UA would be better, I'm not sure how much they monitor the forum.

I don't think I'll buy PMB even for only $100 but single band mode might change my mind. It would make the plug in more usable because multiband just sucks up so much CPU it's hard to justify using it for non mastering purposes. And really, how many people actually understand how to use multiband properly? Not many.

beubbo

stonefree said:
I called UA tech support the other day regarding problems with timed demos and also asked about a single band mode. Brent Patrick told me if enough people asked for it they would consider adding that feature. Perhaps emailing UA would be better, I'm not sure how much they monitor the forum.

I don't think I'll buy PMB even for only $100 but single band mode might change my mind. It would make the plug in more usable because multiband just sucks up so much CPU it's hard to justify using it for non mastering purposes. And really, how many people actually understand how to use multiband properly? Not many.
Amen !

That's exactly why I've started this thread.

In fact I've send an email to UA support few weeks ago asking the feasibility of such option and they replied that they will put this up in their internal requests forum for engineering and marketing to peruse (at least, I've catched their attention...).

BUT I thought the more ppl will ask for it the more chances we'll have to see it anytime soon (and not in 2010 if never ;))

So, please leave here a kind message to UA's attention AND, like Stonefree's said, send a kind email to UA support asking UA's people to add this feature to PMB that could :

a) really help us in the mixing process (on single tracks, busses or even across the Mix Buss !) with a *more* flexible compressor fully customizable (longer attack time amongst other things).

b) make PMB way more attractive to way more ppl (I guess, the majority here on this forum...) that are trying to get a good mix right in the first place rather than trying to more or less "fix it" later... hence MORE SELLS for UA !!! (even if multiband compressors could be great in some situations during mixing on single tracks or busses)

And I guess it wouldn't be really such a big deal to do it : enabling the LMF band to be expanded across the whole freq. spectrum in place of the actual 40-11.000 Hz limit (Yeah, the LMF band b/c LF band could act like a sidechain filter when enabled & sets to the desired freq. at a treshold of O dB). That's it.

TIA for everyone who will take a minute of their precious time to send an email to UA ! (it really could be worth it)

UAD Bundle Month