• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

    Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

    Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

    1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

    2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

    Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

    Lastly, please be respectful.

UAD Precision Multiband, comments?

Plec

Venerated Member
I bought it the moment it came out and although it's no studiotime at christmas time, I couldn't resist going to the studio for a quick little nibble...

IMO, multiband compression should be used as an effective control device, keeping stuff in-line that was missed during the mix. A good multiband should not be heard until you click bypass and you notice what it did. Multi-band can of course be used as a sound too, but I don't agree with that being the case when you are mastering.

I instantly put it on a project I knew I was going to have a problem with. The problem consisted of frequent high-end transients 6K3> that needed to be attenuated by 4-5db and at the same time a slightly to sibilant lead vocal that needed som softening by 2-3db in the same area. I usually use the Quantum 2 for DeEssing purposes, it's really good at it but fails to control really fast peaks in a good way. The PM did EXACTLY what I wanted it to do, to the point that I had to bypass to really assure myself that it was working. The best De-Esser I've ever tried to date. I give it the same grade for all the other bands, exceptionally good at overall control where GRs of 6-12db is almost inaudible at fast settings even in the low-end.

What I don't like about it is the artifacts you get when you start to use more bands that are constantly working, but it might just be me that doesn't \"go\" for that type of sound. What I REALLY miss that I feel could improve the sound quite a bit at more \"brutal\" settings especially in the mids is a variable slope/Q function for smoother transitions.

This is however my new main De-Esser, and will probably get a lot of use as a multiband-peak-limiter. I'd be happy to pay twice the price just for the De-Essing 8)

TOTAL SCORE = 8/10
 

Suntower

Established Member
My POV is somewhat different. But then I'm mainly an 'artiste' as opposed to an engineer. I pretty much love what a -good- multi-band can do for bass and guitar tracks where the performance was great but the recorded sound wasn't---dull strings; bad amp settings, etc.

The only MB comps I had until this AM were the one built into Wavelab which was quite shrill and harsh sounding and the Voxengo unit which really wasn't helpful to me for tracking/mixing.

The UAD-1 thingee seems to work a lot more like what I expect from a hardware unit on a good amp---much easier to dial in a sound that seems 'musical'.
 

baronluigi

Active Member
The 1176, LA-2A, Fairchild 670 all sweet. I'd rather see a LA-3A or some other compressor.


....but I don't like multiband, mainly because I don't know how to use it. Too many knobs lights etc.... Playing with the demo at subtle settings it seems nice. It kinda reminds me of the Waves Lin Multi Band.......


If anybody would like to elaborate on how to set up a Multi Band Comp I am listening..................
 

Trebor Flow 2

Established Member
Well this seems to be the first UA plugin to fail at the box office. It's not that the MB is bad it just doesn't have world wide appeal.

Whenever a plugin is released the forum is hot with compliments for it - this release appears to be a bit of an anti-climax. Now if they had listen to me :wink: and released an SSL ytpe mix bus compressor then I would be having a better Xmas.

Oh well Melodyne 3 has saved the day for a great techno Xmas.

Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year to all my forum chums.

Trebor Flow
 

cheerful hamster

Hamsterdamus
I think for many of us the demo is expired from the get-go, so I would gladly rave about it if I could actually try it out. Also, I've never had error 21 messages in Sonar until this release, so I'm guessing a lot of us are battling that too. :roll:
 

philwal

Member
First time I tried Multiband was on an existing project. UAD cpu goes up to 92% from 62% when I load up the Multiband. The system information on the UAD performance meter also shows that the Ram load on the 2nd card increases considerably.

However the CPU load for cubase hits 100% as soon as I load the multiband, even though it had been at 10% just beforehand. Therefore I have to disable all plugins in the UAD meter before being able to do anything.

I have used the multiband in other situations without the same response, but in all other instances of UAD plugins I have never had a problem except when the UAD cpu hits 100%. So when the Multiband only took me to 92% I assumed it was going to be workable.
 

tkingen

Active Member
With the latency and increased resource load it's hard to be excited about PMB. My credit card was ready for action but now it's gone back into it's hiding place. Sorry UA - maybe it'll come back out the Space Echo is released.
 
tkingen said:
With the latency and increased resource load it's hard to be excited about PMB. My credit card was ready for action but now it's gone back into it's hiding place. Sorry UA - maybe it'll come back out the Space Echo is released.
:eek: and how about the sound quality??? I don't understand why increased latency and resource load can be the reason to buy the PMB or not... A mulitband compressor is generally a mastering tool and I don't think that anybody needs five of them at the same time. So, a criaria to buy it or not would be sound, if it fits to your tracks and music style.... ???? :? For me it is obvious that such plugin uses more DSP resources than EX-1...
 

r3nø

Member
audio-buddy said:
A mulitband compressor is generally a mastering tool and I don't think that anybody needs five of them at the same time.
Dont forget some people do not use MB compression for mastering, but as a creative tool. In this case, its DSP load makes the Prec MB almost unusable if u're short on DSP power for the whole mix.

Too bad, disabling bands does NOT reduce DSP load.
This MB is a bargain with my coupon, but I'm not gonna buy it just because I have only 2 cards.
 

Tony Ostinato

Active Member
People said the same about CE-1 when it first came out, you gotta give people a week or 2 with these things, to appreciate their subtle magic and beauty.

I find it excellent. Premature slamming of it might lead to embarassment.
 

csl

Active Member
Yeah, it's too early really to say how I feel about this plugin. I've been playing with it all last night and this morning on some mixes, comparing it to my previous 'mastering' efforts. It's very easy to use though, and I love the inclusion of the expander and the gate.

I'm just experimenting how I might use the expander, and at the moment I'm getting quite nice results using the expander on the last HF band and the second band. Compressing the first band to toghten up the bass in my (electronica) mixes seems to work quite well, the the next band set to expand the initial bass kicks a little (to keep the kick attacks above the bass end of the kicks). I'm not entirely sure what to do with the next two midrange bands though - at the moment, as there's nothing to correct, I just use them as I might a normal single-band compressor, setting them to low ratios and thesholds to knit the midrange together a little. The HF band seems to work well for me as an expander, adding a little gloss to the hihats etc.

It's fun to work with though, and the mix control coupled with the linked controls (relative and absolute) make it easy to quickly tweak the overall behaviour of the plugin.

I have a feeling I'll be buying it once I've become more familiar with the sound of this thing, because as an owner of the PL and PEQ, the coupon deal is pretty attractive.
 

philwal

Member
Just wondering if anybody else has had problems with Multiband Limiter? Maybe I wasnt completely clear with my previous post, but on one project everything ground to a halt on loading it, even though there was enough CPU available according to the UAD meter. But according to Cubase cpu monitor it hit 100%. I had to disable all plugins before I could do anything else.

On other projects I have been able to work with it without problems, and I think I will probably purchase it before the deadline, as I have P EQ and P Lim.

Does anyone have any idead why the one project cant take the Multiband, wheb the UAD meter says there is enough CPU headroom for it? This would be my only doubt over purchasing it.
 

sporter

New Member
baronluigi said:
The 1176, LA-2A, Fairchild 670 all sweet. I'd rather see a LA-3A or some other compressor.


....but I don't like multiband, mainly because I don't know how to use it. Too many knobs lights etc.... Playing with the demo at subtle settings it seems nice. It kinda reminds me of the Waves Lin Multi Band.......


If anybody would like to elaborate on how to set up a Multi Band Comp I am listening..................
I know what you mean. As a musician trying to make good masters in my home studio, some of these tools are over my head in terms of knowing how to use, and getting the most out of them.

But I must say, the Precision EQ and Precision Limiter I bought a few months back have taken my music to a higher more professional sounding level. . .with a little digging and coaching from some very helpful cyber folks, of course.

The gap between what I do in my little project studio and what a high dollar mastering studio can do is still evident, but the gap is narrower. I'll probably buy this new tool and try to figure it out. Maybe narrow the gap even more.

At any rate, these latest "Precision" series plugs seem to take more know how and more experitse from the engineering side of things. I love punching buttons and getting a sweet sound, but with these you have to dig and listen differently.

A good thing in the end, but requires a little more patience and learning than some of the plug and play stuff on the market. GThey are professional tools requiring a degree of professionalism to make them work.

The "professionalism" on my part is a bit if a work in process, but at least I can download the tools. . :)
 

BobYordan

Member
My impression so far is that it lacks some punch, but it provides nice smooth & warm sound. And those qualities are nice for a multi band comp.
:)

The GUI is nice and intuative. 8)

None of the presets really lifted any of the mixes I tried it on. :( :?

I think I will use my coupon for the Dimension D. :D
 

Doublehelix

Active Member
philwal said:
Just wondering if anybody else has had problems with Multiband Limiter? Maybe I wasnt completely clear with my previous post, but on one project everything ground to a halt on loading it, even though there was enough CPU available according to the UAD meter. But according to Cubase cpu monitor it hit 100%. I had to disable all plugins before I could do anything else.

On other projects I have been able to work with it without problems, and I think I will probably purchase it before the deadline, as I have P EQ and P Lim.

Does anyone have any idead why the one project cant take the Multiband, wheb the UAD meter says there is enough CPU headroom for it? This would be my only doubt over purchasing it.
I have this problem as well, but it has nothing to do with the MBC for me. whenever I go over 70% UAD usage, the Cubase meter pegs at 100%, This is completely reproducible for me, and really sucks.

I bought a new HD, and have started a whole new OS install and are adding in applications and plugins one-by-one to see if I can find something that is conflicting. So far, so good, I am able to go to about 94% on the UAD meter without any Cubase issues. I am continuing to load apps and plugs and testing out each configuration until I find the problem.

In the mean time however, I have to get some work done, so I just plug in my old hard drive, and work away, but have to keep watching the UAD meter so that it stays about 68% or LOWER just to be safe.

Basically, this means that even though I have 3 UAD-1 cards, it is like running only 3 due to this limitation.

Sorry if this seemed like a hijack, but I wanted to point out that I am having the same problem as philwal, and that it may not be a MBC issue.
 

munchkin

Active Member
I tried the MB on some mixes and it sounded rather warm and nice but I still prefer Ozone by iZotope. Ozone does a lot more so it's a bit unfair to compare but for multiband Ozone is much better suited to my needs.

As a Precision Limiter owner I got a discount coupon to buy the EQ and the MB together but not either on their own. I was rather disappointed about this because I might've bought the MB because of its warm sound.

At least UA offers loyalty discounts. I've never received any plugin discounts from TC for my Poco. Even though I've bought a load of their plugins. :roll:
 

philwal

Member
BobYordan said:
My impression so far is that it lacks some punch, but it provides nice smooth & warm sound. And those qualities are nice for a multi band comp.
:)

The GUI is nice and intuative. 8)

None of the presets really lifted any of the mixes I tried it on. :( :?

I think I will use my coupon for the Dimension D. :D
My understanding was that the coupon had to be used on the Mastering set. If like myself you have two already, then the coupon has to be used on the Multiband. If I am wrong, then I would seriously consider getting the Fairchild, as I have most of the others. BTW the Dimension D is lovely. 8)
 

RichR

Member
Doublehelix said:
philwal said:
Just wondering if anybody else has had problems with Multiband Limiter? Maybe I wasnt completely clear with my previous post, but on one project everything ground to a halt on loading it, even though there was enough CPU available according to the UAD meter. But according to Cubase cpu monitor it hit 100%. I had to disable all plugins before I could do anything else.

On other projects I have been able to work with it without problems, and I think I will probably purchase it before the deadline, as I have P EQ and P Lim.

Does anyone have any idead why the one project cant take the Multiband, wheb the UAD meter says there is enough CPU headroom for it? This would be my only doubt over purchasing it.
I have this problem as well, but it has nothing to do with the MBC for me. whenever I go over 70% UAD usage, the Cubase meter pegs at 100%, This is completely reproducible for me, and really sucks.

I bought a new HD, and have started a whole new OS install and are adding in applications and plugins one-by-one to see if I can find something that is conflicting. So far, so good, I am able to go to about 94% on the UAD meter without any Cubase issues. I am continuing to load apps and plugs and testing out each configuration until I find the problem.

In the mean time however, I have to get some work done, so I just plug in my old hard drive, and work away, but have to keep watching the UAD meter so that it stays about 68% or LOWER just to be safe.

Basically, this means that even though I have 3 UAD-1 cards, it is like running only 3 due to this limitation.

Sorry if this seemed like a hijack, but I wanted to point out that I am having the same problem as philwal, and that it may not be a MBC issue.
I've had this problem for a while now and it would be interesting to know what your find out.
 

philwal

Member
I have two cards and have not had a problem with the CPU until after trying the Multiband on one project. In fact I have been able to push up to 98%, occasionally 99% without a problem. Yet the CPU problem was with Cubase hitting 100% when loading the Multiband. The UAD CPU was only at 92%.
 
UAD Bundle Month
Top