• Welcome to the General Discussion forum for UAD users!

Please note that this forum is user-run, although we're thrilled to have so much contribution from Drew, Will, and other UA folks!

Feel free to discuss both UAD and non-UAD related subjects!

1) Please do not post technical issues here. Please use our UAD Support Forums instead.

2) Please do not post complaints here. Use the Unrest Forum instead. They have no place in the the General Discussion forum.

Threads posted in the wrong forum will be moved, so if you don't see your thread here anymore, please look in the correct forum.

Lastly, please be respectful.

UAD RAM Load make CPU goes crazy with Nuendo 3...

KaNeT

Hey all... Tech problem here.

I have 3 UAD-1 PCI in a MAGMA chassis, PIV 2.5 Ghz, 1Gb Ram, Gigabyte 8IEXP mb, Echo LAYLA, etc... I use Nuendo 3 and exclusively UAD plugs (v4.5). The UADs are not sharing any IRQ, other UAD settings on default, and this bug is for every buffer sttings I tried (128, 256, 512, 1024...).

The strange fact is this :

If I load a song with 24 audio stereo tracks, add 3 Neve33609 + 3 Neve1073 on the master, I nearly reach the limit in UAD CPU (92%) and 1% RAM load, it runs perfectly and Nuendo reach 20% in task manager, and about the same on the Nuendo meter.

Now, I take the same song, load on the master 3 PrecisionMB, the use of UAD CPU is 37%, RAM goes to 28%, and then Nuendo reach 98-99% in the task manager, but still is around 25% in Nuendo... and a lot of audio glitches.

To resume the problem, when I use RAM from the UAD cards, Nuendo is going crazy, showing a normal activity in the perf meter but in the task manager is very very high, causing loss of sound. Anyone experienced this, or even better, knows how to solve it ?

(I tried everything I know...)

Thanx

RWIL

Established Member
KaNeT said:
... and then Nuendo reach 98-99% in the task manager, but still is around 25% in Nuendo... and a lot of audio glitches.
The only time I was getting something similar using 2 cards was having the «Limit CPU load» disabled from the UAD-1 Performance meter->Configuration.

Best,
RW

secretworld

To Check if it´s not a problem with precmb try loading the delay plugin. That one uses even more ram

KaNeT

Same problem with the roland delay... and for all plugs. Nuendo.exe begin to rise when the RAM load is about 15-20% on the meter.

I changed PCI slots all the day, reinstalled XP 3 times, used all the drivers releases from 3.8, tested with disabling most of the onboard/outboard hardware, tested with each RAM module in solo, each UAD card in solo... I begin to think it's a curse. HELP !

It begun to do this a few days ago, for about 2 years it worked very well with this setup. Maybe the MB is dying ?

Can someone with a similar setup can tell me how many percent of CPU \"nuendo.exe\" during playback takes in \"task manager\" when you load 3 PMB ? It can help me.

neil wilkes

Venerated Member
Why 3PMB on the outputs?
(Unless it is a surround track)

KaNeT

Why 3PMB on the outputs?
And why 3x33609 + 3x1073 ? ;)

I use this plug in my test because it has the most RAM Used/DSP Used rato (25%/37%). I never have 3 PMB in mixing or mastering situation.

The problem occurs when total RAM load of UAD is above 18%. And it happens too when I have 10 LA-2A + 8 1073, etc. Or any big usage of plugs in mixing situation.

KaNeT

OK... After hours of testing I finally found the thing... My guess was wrong it wasn't the RAM load who cause troubles. So, in case some of you someday have the same bug :

Nuendo goes crazy only when the 3 PMB was opened, I mean, when the GUI of the plugs were on the screen or behind the arrangement window... When I close all (but of course are still ON), nuendo.exe use the same as the perf meter indicate, 15-20%... So two possibilities :

- My graphic card has some serious troubles
- Nuendo doesn't like big animated plugin's GUI

Thanx for those who tried to help, I learned something, ALWAYS CLOSE THE WINDOWS PLUGS WHEN I DON'T NEED THEM.

secretworld

Could be a graphixcard problem. What card? What driver? any special settings?

KaNeT

Well after all...

The bug with the PMB was not the real problem. At least it wasn't THE problem, i saw victory too soon. Even after closing the plugs, nuendo wasn't as high in the task manager, but I still have some glitch. So after another hours of testing I finally discovered it was my onboard ATA controller who was dying. I put my 2 disk on IDE and all is fine now.

The PMB bug still applies, but I don't have any audio glitches even if nuendo.exe is very high when the GUI is opened.

Thanx for your support.

UAD Bundle Month